song of the year:.....lose yourself...

new artist:......50 cent....

pop vocal album:.....justified..

rock album:.......audioslave

rap album:.....speakerboxxx/the love below

best alternative music album:......hail to the thief

these are locks.....

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Psince when does anyone care about grammys.

i say this every year.
exactly... a grammy winner usually translates into:

utter shit.

European Son

"So, I, uh, guess this doesn't really mean anything." - Eddie Vedder accepting a Grammy in 1995.

Gamblour.

Quote from: European Son"So, I, uh, guess this doesn't really mean anything." - Eddie Vedder accepting a Grammy in 1995.

Awesome...yeah, the Grammys are like music critics, they just go with what the public likes, and the public is dumb. With film, there's a general rhythm to it, if the movie has it, most people can pick up on it and like it, and critics can tell us if it's generally good or not, and most would agree. With music, I never listen to fucking critics, because I likes what I likes and they can't ever hear the same album I'm hearing (although you could make this point about movies, music is more accessible and isn't telling a story, just audiblizing an emotion).
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

context, context, context.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I love music but I hate the industry.

How come popular music becomes drivel?  If it's popular, it should be really good, right?

I don't know, Grammy's are usually a beacon of sellout hood.  It dosen't mark the untalented.  Very much the opposite.  They played the game, rode their popularity wave, and made their money.

Did they do anything for music?  Eh.  Pick up your newest Rolling Stone and read how they kiss the artist's ass so you know it's ok to listen to them.  

Not all mainstream music is crap, but at some point, it seems many artists just give up and become tripe.

Music is a cruel mistress.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pas

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobI love music but I hate the industry.

Don't say industry

SHAFTR

Quote from: MacGuffinPredictions for tonight?

1. Record of the Year:  "Hey Ya!," OutKast.

2. Album of the Year: "Elephant," The White Stripes.

6. Rock Album: "Audioslave," Audioslave;

7. Rap Album:"Speakerboxxx/The Love Below," OutKast;

Best Alternative Music Album:  "Hail To The Thief," Radiohead;
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

Beyonce wins five Grammy Awards

Beyonce captured a record-tying five Grammys on Sunday for her solo debut album "Dangerously in Love," while Justin Timberlake had two and apologized for his role in Janet Jackson's Super Bowl flash.

Jackson's breast-baring at the hands of dance partner Timberlake remained the major subplot, as CBS and Jackson offered conflicting reports about why she was not at the Grammy telecast. And CBS, which also televised the Super Bowl, instituted a five-minute delay on the "live" broadcast to avoid any more scandal.

"I know it's been a rough week on everybody," said Timberlake, stifling a self-deprecating laugh while accepting the award for best male pop vocal performance for "Cry Me A River." He brought his mother as his date.

"What occurred was unintentional, completely regrettable, and I apologize if anyone was offended," he said, adding: "This is officially the greatest moment of my life."

Beyonce also won best female R&B performance for "Dangerously in Love," best contemporary R&B album for "Dangerously in Love" and best R&B performance by a duo or group with vocals for "The Closer I Get To You," a remake she did with Luther Vandross.

Her five trophies tied a record set by Alicia Keys, Norah Jones and Lauryn Hill for the most Grammys won by a female artist.

"This is unbelievable. Performing was enough for me," an excited Beyonce said.

Vandross, who suffered a debilitating stroke last year, also won two other awards: best male R&B vocal performance for "Dance With My Father," and best R&B album for "Dance With My Father." Vandross is still recovering and was not well enough to attend.

OutKast, nominated for a leading six Grammys, had won two awards an hour into the broadcast: best urban/alternative performance for "Hey Ya!" and best rap album for "Speakerboxxx-The Love Below."

Accepting the best rap album trophy, OutKast's Andre 3000 stepped to the microphone, said, "Thank you," and headed back to his seat.

Detroit rock group The White Stripes won two awards - best rock song for Seven Nation Army and best alternative album for Elephant.

And Eminem's song Lose Yourself won him the best rap song and best male rap solo performance accolades.

The late Johnny Cash, and director Mark Romanek, won for best short form music video for the haunting song "Hurt." Cash's wife, who died a few months before him in 2003, won best traditional folk album for the posthumous release "Wildwood Flower."

Their son, John Carter Cash, accepted both awards. "I produced the record for my mother. It's amazing. She died last May, and she got to hear the record, she got to experience it before she passed on," he told the audience. "I think it's a swan song."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

outkast won.

i'm confused, does this mean they suck? :yabbse-huh:
under the paving stones.

Pedro

white stripes win over radiohead....funnny.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Poutkast won.

i'm confused, does this mean they suck? :yabbse-huh:

Add one more:

OutKast's 'Speakerboxxx' Is Album of Year  

OutKast, the Atlanta duo who have won over both nightclubs and critics with their intricate, sprightly brand of rap, on Sunday saw their album "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below" become the first pure hip-hop project to win best album honors at the Grammys.

OutKast's buoyant, fresh music — defined by the playful hit "Hey Ya!," which members Andre 3000 and Big Boi performed on stage at Staples Center in front of a giant, emerald-green tepee — stood in sharp contrast to some somber moments at the 46th annual Grammy Awards.

Record of the year is given to the single the voters in the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences deem the year's best recording overall, while song of the year is for songwriting. The award for record of the year Sunday went to "Clocks" by Coldplay, the British band that has now won Grammys in three consecutive years and has become a staple of alternative rock radio despite a style (earnest lyrics and melodic sophistication) that often contrasts with the other hit-makers of the day.

Coldplay lead singer Chris Martin, who often speaks out politically and did so at last year's show, used his acceptance speech to endorse Democratic presidential hopeful John Kerry, the Massachusetts senator.

"We'd like to dedicate this to Johnny Cash and John Kerry, who hopefully will be your president one day," he said.

One of the more lighthearted moments of the night was provided by 50 Cent, a performer usually known for more ominous behavior. The rapper with the violent persona as well as the best-selling album of 2003 was nominated for best new artist and expected by many to win. Evanescence, the hard rock band from Arkansas, instead won, but 50 Cent marched to the stage and, grinning, loped behind the winners before returning to his seat.

“Oh, what did I do?” said the modern rock act's Amy Lee in reaction.

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pedro the Wombatwhite stripes win over radiohead....funnny.

Indeed.

If it hasn't been said before, Meg White is the WORST drummer in the entire history of rock!  Their performance last night on the Grammys proves it.  Jack White needs to drop her, become lead guitarist for The Strokes, and turn them into an Iggy Pop/Black Sabbath cover band.  I realized that this is what needed to happen when I saw both bands at Radio City 2 years ago.

I knew as soon as the nominations were announced that Elephant was going to beat out Hail to the Thief for best Alternative album.  People seem to love the idea that the Stripes recorded Elephant on a 4-track in a week. It's a decent album but come on.  Kid Rock fans may disagree but Radiohead is doing the most interesting stuff in rock music today.  But this is all a popularity contest anyway and Elephant sold better so... there it is.

But Outkast won album of the year so I can't complain too much.

Pubrick

Quote from: hacksparrowIf it hasn't been said before, Meg White is the WORST drummer in the entire history of rock!
she's also the hottest.
under the paving stones.