Bertolucci

Started by SoNowThen, October 01, 2003, 11:57:42 AM

lamas

seriously.  Brando is the epitome of cool in Last Tango.  like De Niro in The Deer Hunter, McQueen in Bullitt, Pacino in Godfather II...  how can anyone say Last Tango is a bad movie or it contains bad acting?

modage

i dunno.  i watched the movie, was unengaged.  thought it was ridiculous.  the dialogue spoken by brando was unconvincing.  it just seemed bad.  i dont really know how else to put it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

samsong

I got a chance to see a new print of The Conformist.  This was my first time seeing this film after desperately seeking it for three years.

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?p=150266#150266

Just Withnail

That's a film that seriously needs to get a DVD release.

A Matter Of Chance

I decided to have a Bertolucci week, starting tonight with Last Tango IN Paris. I couldn't find a copy of The Conformist. Any suggestions/recommendations for tomorrow night?

samsong

Quote from: A Matter Of ChanceI decided to have a Bertolucci week, starting tonight with Last Tango IN Paris. I couldn't find a copy of The Conformist. Any suggestions/recommendations for tomorrow night?

I just saw The Spider's Stratagem, which, if you can't find The Conformist, is pretty much the next best thing... after The Dreamers, that is (assuming you haven't seen it.  If you wrote something about it in some other thread or even earlier on in this one, I apologize in advance).  Anyway, The Spider's Stratagem is an excellent tone poem, indicative of the qualities most associate with "European art films" (see RESNAIS and ANTONIONI among others).  It's impressive, moreso after considering Bertolucci and Storaro made it almost right after The Conformist.

Ghostboy

Quote from: themodernage02thought it was ridiculous.  the dialogue spoken by brando was unconvincing.  it just seemed bad.

I just watched Last Tango for the first time this evening, and Brando's dialogue just jumped out at me as the most brilliant thing about the movie! I hadn't read any of the comments here, so I wasn't going into it with an ear for dialogue...it just sounded so natural, like the kinda nonsense people talk about while they're lying in bed. The lame jokes and so on, with those random moments of run-on profundity like what So Now Then quoted a few pages back. I didn't love the movie the same way I loved The Dreamers, but I think that's simply because I can relate to The Dreamers so much more. This is a more mature piece,  striking in its non-gratuitousness (particularly because its renowned for its sexual content) and overwhelming sense of emptiness (not in regards to the movie, but to the characters).

So this is the fourth Bertolucci film I've seen; the only one I didn't like that much was the first one I saw,  Stealing Beauty. I completely agree with what So Now Then said about Besieged -- it's achingly beautiful, and the criticisms it received (namely Ebert's) are ridiculous.

thadius sterling

Indeed, sorry for the double post about Bertoluci and thank you for the welcome. I haven't yet seen The Dreamers or any of the other Bertoluci films I plan on picking up but I did want to reply to something,

I think this b-board is far better than imdb's b-board concerning film. imdb is full of people who keep their opinions in their jerkoff hand. (but then again that's just another opinion right?)

Where as here, even (if not especially) when I disagree with people, I can actually see where they are coming from and respect them, and know that they are valid. I have yet to see any ignorance here. And I did find the search feature, thank you! :) Sorry again for the double post and thank you for locking it.

SiliasRuby

Yeah, no problem. Welcome to internet film heaven.
On Bertoluci: all I have seen is Last tango which freaked me out on how realistic the film seemed.
The dreamers was a really enjoyable experience as well. I really connected with The Dreamers alot, how confusing and explicit sex can be with the dillusioned young.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

w/o horse

La Commare Secca was in the DVD player last night.  It was exciting to see Bertolucci as an excited young filmmaker.  A lot of energy and passion in the camera.  It held a quick pace too, which I didn't expect.  Given that pace, the end felt like a running man just stopping and sitting down, but I was rewarded enough before for that to not care.  Typically there were a lot of brush strokes that he would repeat in his career.

It's not an amazing movie but it is really well made and watching it is inspiring.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

SoNowThen

Yeah, it's really, really solid. Finding out that it was done by a 19 year old is either incredibly depressing, or hugely inspiring...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.