To Newbs, introduce yourself.

Started by Xixax, January 08, 2003, 01:13:48 PM

grumpus

I suppose it is high time I introduce myself.  

I'm a grad student living in North Carolina, studying social theory and managing an independent video store to make ends meet.  I dig you kids, and your crazy style, with the in jokes and whatnots.  But I swear, if anyone posts a picture of Conan O'Brien in response to any of my posts I am out of here.  Redheaded men  freak me the fuck out.

I Love a Magician

My name is Daniel and I am nineteen years old. Annie Hall is my favorite movie.

So. What else would you like to know?

polkablues

Quote from: I Love a Magician on December 08, 2005, 01:19:09 AM

So far, I approve of the Vonnegut av, the Ryan Adams fandom, and the purty pictures.  Not bad for a first day.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: I Love a Magician on December 08, 2005, 01:19:09 AM

So. What else would you like to know?
how did u find the site? that's about all i can think of, u've made good first impression taking into account the photo thread. i wish more newbs were as promising. grumpus also had a nice intro, but loses points for taking so long.

well for future reference to all the newbs coming out of the woodwork, this is the model of a perfect intro:

Quote from: deathnotronic on April 04, 2005, 10:28:19 PM
I'm Eric Croskey. My name is taken from a Reggie and the Full Effect song. I run a music website, called Rockingthescene.com. If you like indie music, check it out, I guess.

I have an interesting story about how I discovered Xixax. About a year ago, my film class was talking about doing a unit on gangster movies. So, naturally, one kid was like "HEY LETS WATCH BOONDOCK SAINTS." My film teacher flat out refused. "Why," the kids asked. The teacher went off on this rant about how it's a blatant Tarantino ripoff, etc. The next class he had xixax on the screen. I forget who posted it, but someone called the film "the cinematic equivalent to an abortion." He told the class that whomever posted this pretty much summed up his opinion. I agree, and have been lurking on and off ever since.

Favorite films include Koyaanisqatsi, Sunset Boulevard, Rushmore. I'm a fan of Hitchcock's directing, as well as Wes Anderson, and if you want to take it oldschool, Fritz Lang.

If you want to know anything else about me, you can pm me.  :embrace:  :embrace:  :embrace:
this kind of intro will make me want to be nice to u.
under the paving stones.

Sunrise

Greetings. I'm Chester. I've been visiting this site as a guest for a couple of years now and it's time to stop spectating.

I've been in the working world for a couple of years now. Plunged into the world of film during college and grad school. Netflix and Xixax have been invaluable for this novice. Hopefully I will be able to contribute a worthy opinion or two along the way.

I'm eagerly awaiting The New World, A Scanner Darkly, Inland Empire and The Fountain, which may give you an idea of some of my tastes. Let me know what other personal information is of interest.

I Love a Magician

Quote from: Pubrick on December 08, 2005, 04:48:00 AM
how did u find the site?

It was a good while back but I imagine I found the site while searching for articles to read about our pal, Paul Thomas Anderson.

Anonymous Joe

Like most people on this site I am a fan of PTA and discovered xixax.com after viewing ciggeretsandredvines.com. For the first couple of months I would read the posts, articales and such while at work. I have been making short films since I was 9 or 10, but not seriously until I was 17 when Raging Bull chnaged the way I looked at films. Before I would scan the IMDB fourm but not anymore, now that I have found xixax. One thing Xixax has introduced me to is The Criterion Collection, my bank account will never be the same agian...

deathnotronic

As long as I have your heart, Pubrick, the world does not matter.  :embrace:

Sunrise

Quote from: Chester R. Rubarb on December 08, 2005, 08:47:27 PM
Like most people on this site I am a fan of PTA and discovered xixax.com after viewing ciggeretsandredvines.com. For the first couple of months I would read the posts, articales and such while at work.

Same here...although I stumbled upon xixax while the site was still the original ptanderson.com. Reading posts, etc. on xixax is certainly a cause for many valleys in my work production level over the last year or so, which is a testament to the quality of topics and opinions floating around here.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Sunrise on December 09, 2005, 01:40:26 PM
Same here...although I stumbled upon xixax while the site was still the original ptanderson.com. Reading posts, etc. on xixax is certainly a cause for many valleys in my work production level over the last year or so, which is a testament to the quality of topics and opinions floating around here.

Oddly enough, kissing ass is the exact opposite way to get noticed.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

decemberlove

I'm Holly, I'm 23, and I hate introduction threads cos I never know what to say.

Reinhold

Quote from: decemberlove on December 24, 2005, 11:11:17 AM
I'm Holly, I'm 23, and I hate introduction threads cos I never know what to say.

would you at least comment on whether you love jack white like a little brother?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

MacGuffin

Fave films/directors? How'd you find us?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 24, 2005, 02:16:15 PM

Fave films/directors? How'd you find us?

Pix?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Garam on December 24, 2005, 04:35:16 PM
Quote from: Pas Rap on November 25, 2005, 06:23:21 PM
The looks-like-they-could-be-cool newbies post so much less than the garam-type newbs.

What did I do wrong?

you said blue velvet was overrated :yabbse-tongue: