Best Crowe Film

Started by Banky, January 19, 2004, 08:19:52 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 03, 2010, 01:47:25 AM
Cameron Crowe May Direct We Bought a Zoo
Source: NY Mag

Vulture has learned that Cameron Crowe, who hasn't directed a film since 2005's Elizabethtown, is circling a script based on the best-selling Benjamin Mee memoir We Bought a Zoo. Back in 2006, Mee — then the do-it-yourself columnist for the U.K.'s Guardian newspaper — moved into a run-down twelve-bedroom mansion in the southwest English countryside with his wife, two children, brother, and 76-year-old mother. The catch? Their old manse also included the 30-acre Dartmoor Wildlife Park, a dilapidated preserve that was home to 200 wild animals. Poignantly, the Mee family's successful efforts at rehabilitating the zoo's menagerie of ailing beasts was juxtaposed with the steady decline of Mee's wife, Katherine, who received a terminal-cancer diagnosis.

From what we hear, Zoo already had a great script from Oscar-nominated Devil Wears Prada screenwriter Aline Brosh McKenna. But if he signs on, Crowe will be doing a little rewriting before directing it, presumably to insert dialogue that zookeepers will repeat for the rest of their lives, much as any high-school student from the late eighties continues to quote "I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen."

interesting choice of thread to post this in..

dude is due for a redemption. his fall from grace has been so severe it makes us forget that he actually made some good films.

or is it that his films are only good for teenagers or ppl who feel particularly emotional at any given point? cos these days i can't even stand Almost Famous. havn't revisited Vanilla Sky but that wasn't even his idea so whatevs for the good and bad points of that film.. point is this sounds like a great film for him. it seems like an opportunity for him to mature after the abysmal failure of elizabethtown which single handedly made us all write him off for good.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Has Cameron Crowe Bought a Zoo?
Source: ComingSoon

Two months ago, there were rumors circulating that director Cameron Crowe, the Oscar-winning writer of Almost Famous who also received a nomination for his screenplay for Jerry Maguire, was looking at directing an adaptation of Benjamin Mee's bestselling memoir We Bought a Zoo from a script by Aline Brosh McKenna (The Devil Wears Prada). It was reported by New York Mag's Vulture that he was circling the script and that was picked up quickly by other news sources.

A few new things have arisen since then that seem to confirm that Crowe has made a decision in the interim and will be making We Bought the Zoo his first movie since Elizabethtown in 2005.

Based on Mee's own experiences, the book with the full title... you might want to sit down for this one... "We Bought a Zoo: The Amazing True Story of a Young Family, a Broken Down Zoo, and the 200 Wild Animals That Change Their Lives Forever"... tells how the columnist for London's Guardian newspaper moved to a run-down mansion with his extended family, inheriting a wildlife preserve with 200 wild animals in the process. At the same time, Mee's wife had been diagnosed with terminal cancer.

The first thing that confirms this project has a director was the announcement today by 20th Century Fox of a release date for the movie on December 23, 2011, essentially the same slot where they put the similarly-themed true-life memoir movie Marley and Me, which went onto huge box office success.

What clinched it for us was when we were looking for more info on this project and found something hidden on Variety--who never even reported Crowe's interest in the project--that listed bookings and signings for the production people on various projects. We learned there that production designer Clay Griffith, who ironically was the set decorator on Jerry Maguire, had been booked on Cameron Crowe's "We Bought a Zoo". (IMDb Pro has both Crowe and Griffith listed as being attached to the project as well.)

It's not often that a story like this gets so little attention, especially considering how long it's been since Crowe has directed a film, but it you want to get a headstart on Crowe's new movie, you can pick up Mee's novel at Amazon.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 16, 2010, 08:47:10 PM
production designer Clay Griffith, who ironically was the set decorator on Jerry Maguire

that's not ironic.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

It's so ironic, my head literally exploded.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Neil

It's like the good advice that you just can't take.

Or Rain on your wedding day.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Pas

Ironically, Alanis Morrissette is also attached to the project according to IMDBpro.

just kidding.

OrHowILearnedTo

MacGuffin

Cameron Crowe to direct 'Zoo'
Film is adaptation of memoir; released December 2011
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Cameron Crowe is returning to movies for the first time since 2005's "Elizabethtown."

The filmmaker signed on to direct "We Bought a Zoo," an adaptation of a memoir by Benjamin Mee, being produced by Julie Yorn.

Crowe is notoriously picky about his projects and had been circling "Zoo" since the winter.

Once he dedicated himself to the project, he began rewriting the script, originally written by Aline Brosh McKenna, to reflect is sensibilities

The studio liked the direction enough to commit to the movie over the weekend and has dated it for December 23, 2011. 

"Zoo" tells the true account of how Mee and his family used their life savings to buy a dilapidated zoo, replete with 200 exotic animals facing destruction, in the English countryside.

Mee, along with his children, had to balance caring for his wife, who was dying of brain cancer, with dealing with escaped tigers, raising endangered animals, working with an eclectic skeleton crew and readying the zoo for a reopening.

The author also was the subject of a BBC documentary titled "Ben's Zoo."

With Crowe on board, Fox plans to move fast to cage an A-lister to play Mee.

The release date and the subject matter marrying cute animals and dramatic storylines are similar to Fox's 2008 box-office smash "Marley & Me," and the studio is hoping emulate that success.

Though not a very prolific filmmaker, CAA-repped Crowe has written and directed films such as "Say Anything," "Jerry Maguire" and "Almost Famous," which have tended to become part of the pop culture lexicon.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

blackmirror

The Perineum Falcon

What about it?!

is there a reason you only reply with bullet-points? do you have some form of Tourrette's?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

blackmirror

The title of this thread poses a question, and I answered it, tout court.

MacGuffin

Matt Damon circling the 'Zoo'
Actor in talks for lead role in Cameron Crowe feature
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Matt Damon may team up with Cameron Crowe for "We Bought a Zoo," Fox's adaptation of a memoir by Benjamin Mee.

The actor is in early talks to portray Mee who used his life savings to buy a dilapidated zoo, replete with 200 exotic animals facing destruction, in the English countryside.

Mee, along with his children, had to balance caring for his wife, who was dying of brain cancer, with dealing with escaped tigers, raising endangered animals, working with an eclectic skeleton crew and readying the zoo for a reopening.

Julie Yorn is producing.

"Zoo" would mark a departure for Damon, who tends to make more dramatic or action -oriented thriller. "Zoo" with its blend of animals and heartstrings, may occupy similar terrain to Fox's 2008 "Marley & Me." And with the input of Crowe, making his first movie since 2005's "Elizabethtown," the movie could end up juggling light moments with drama like the helmer's "Jerry Maguire."

Crowe rewrote the script, which was originally written by Aline Brosh McKenna ("The Devil Wears Prada").

Damon, who next stars in supernatural thriller "The Adjustment Bureau," is repped by WME.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

awwws. this breaks my little black heart.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20428836,00.html
Rocker Nancy Wilson Divorcing Cameron Crowe

By Eunice Oh

Director Cameron Crowe and his musician wife, Nancy Wilson, are pulling the plug on their 22-year marriage.

Wilson, a singer and songwriter from the rock band Heart, filed divorce papers Thursday in L.A. County Superior Court, citing irreconcilable differences. She lists June 15, 2008, as the date of their separation.

Crowe, who directed Jerry Maguire and Almost Famous, married Wilson July 23, 1986. The couple have 10-year-old twin boys, William and Curtis.

Wilson is seeking joint physical and legal custody of the children and has also asked the court for spousal support.
who likes movies anyway

modage

Quote from: Bethie on September 24, 2010, 03:08:12 PM
Rocker Nancy Wilson Divorcing Cameron Crowe

Looks like she finally saw Elizabethtown.   :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Robyn

Definitely Almost Famous.

But I like Vanilia sky alot too