PDL filmed scenes we'll never see?

Started by tpfkabi, August 07, 2003, 08:01:47 PM

tpfkabi

from all i've read it seems this is what i can think of:

1. sandler / hoffman confrontation  where hoffman smashes the harmonium

2. guzman / watson dropping the pudding off at the Salvation Army

3. more detailed car crash

4. *i'im not sure this was filmed or not......i think* Sandler getting the cashier to scan all the individual packets of pudding
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

http://www.ptanderson.com/featurefilms/love/deleted/main.htm

Also shot, but not mentioned or used was the scene of Barry on the plane to Hawaii (Pg. 70 in the shooting script). A little boy who cries and smiles at Barry. I think it was cut because the scene of the little boy at Barry's workplace was cut too, and one wouldn't have made sense without the other.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mindfuck

I wish they hadn't cut that scene with the boy at his work. It was great. I guess the "love scene" was weird enough for mainstream audiences though.

oakmanc234

I didn't find anything weird about the much talked about 'love talk'. Lena just says something violently affectionate about him and a confused Barry continues the talk with violent references. She continues it further. It was cute. It was just a gag. If that bit was a tad too much for mainstream audiences, then the kid scene in the deleted's is where it 'should' be.

You guys seen that little 'Pudding Dash' game at the P-DL UK site? Its fun to look at if not to play! (Barry walks around the supermarket with a trolley, picking up pudding while avoiding two of the Utah Brothers!). Never did I think I'd see a video game for a P.T.Anderson film!
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

mindfuck

I sure heard a lot of I-don't-get-it's coming from some my friends who are into more "mainstream" films (read: crap). I guess it's a matter of "getting it". I can see people accepting the love scene at face value much easier than the kid scene for sure.

picolas

Quote from: bigideas3. more detailed car crash
the scopitone "first" has footage taken from inside the car.. it looks quite painful for the camera..

BrainSushi

I don't know if they were filmed, but I think the shooting script had a few scenes where Barry would mysteriously wake up fully dressed in an Adidas workout suit or a basketball gettup.

Then, when he's in the hotel with Lena, she's awake and he's still asleep. He gets up in a kind of sleepwalk and get's dressed, then lies back down.

Anybody know if those were filmed?

aclockworkjj

I wanted to see a scene in PDL where Dean and Georgia hook up.....for some reasons I feel like there is this underlying affair going on with them...

I want to see that scene....filmed or not....

Pwaybloe

Quote from: aclockworkjjI want to see that scene....filmed or not....

Ha ha!  Well, I think it would be hard to see if it's not filmed.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

WHEN THE HELL DID BARRY SMASH THE WINDOW OF HIS OFFICE?!?!

I noticed it the second time I saw the movie. The far left window. And if you look at some of the pictures at the PDL website you see Sandler givin' the old puncheroo to that window, but it's not on the DVD or nuthin'.

I suspect this destruction was meant to go after the phrase "You've just started a war that you can't afford", but would confuse people because Barry just got asked out to dinner by a cute British woman and smashing the window would just be too much for the groundlings to comprehend.  Or maybe people would think PT was anti-England. Whatevah.

brockly

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestionWHEN THE HELL DID BARRY SMASH THE WINDOW OF HIS OFFICE?!?!

I noticed it the second time I saw the movie. The far left window. And if you look at some of the pictures at the PDL website you see Sandler givin' the old puncheroo to that window, but it's not on the DVD or nuthin'.

I suspect this destruction was meant to go after the phrase "You've just started a war that you can't afford", but would confuse people because Barry just got asked out to dinner by a cute British woman and smashing the window would just be too much for the groundlings to comprehend.  Or maybe people would think PT was anti-England. Whatevah.

Do you have the DVD? If so, check out Blossoms and Blood. It's a bit fuzzy but you can make it out.

boombanglarrabee

Plus some in a park and also some in a parking lot for Jamba Juice in Northridge.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Thanks for the info Brock. It's right near the end of Blossoms and Blood with all the punching and yelling. Yeah, I noticed that before, but I still wanna know where the window-smashing fits in chronologically (without having to buy the shooting script).
Or maybe PTA thought it up last minute, kind of the way it seems he was doing things in the movie, and had sugar-glass put in a few days before filming. Hells if I know!