Richard Kelly - the real bunnyman...

Started by Him, April 16, 2003, 08:28:28 AM

Him

Seeing as Donnie Darko was one of the most exciting and mind-bending films which truly challenged the old grey matter to be released in recent years, how come he hasn't got his own thang? The film is open to a lot of varied interpretations (the donniedarko.com website doesn't answer everything)...anybody fancy laying their own spin on it?

phil marlowe

mindfuck

Quote from: HimSeeing as Donnie Darko was one of the most exciting and mind-bending films which truly challenged the old grey matter to be released in recent years, how come he hasn't got his own thang?

You have to realize the way Hollywood works. The film has done really well on DVD and it was well-recieved by fans and critics later on, but it made NO money when it was released. As a result it is most likely that the DVD distribution deal they got with it still probably made more money for the distribution company than anyone involved with making  the actual film. Since it made no money it's probably tough for Kelly to get a follow-up deal no matter how great the film actually was.

Kinda sucks, but that's the way the business works.

aclockworkjj

Give it time, the guy is a USC grad, I am sure that high-priced education will keep his foot in the door...And I am sure some riskier studio will hand him something just for what Darko did....good flick, hope in next are as well.

yossarian

just posted an extended rant on how wonderful this movie is.... i  believe that a talent as formidable as kelly be able to get over the fact that this movie made so little money
the good will rise eventually...i have a feeling that the word of mouth reaction will eleveate this flick to unbelievable levels of cult status in the future....it wasn't expensive at 4.5 million and the film looks beautiful.... those big studio heads have got to have noticed that...
film was badly marketed (although admittedly it was tricky sell)- because i do believe it was fairly accessible- and was fucked around by its distributors- classic case of a kind of hesitant belief in it....betcha there were a few execs that adored it....but the majority just thought what a turkey....
only danger is that the film comes over so perfectly that one can't help but worry that this is the one he(kelly)'s been thinking oabout his whole life.... got it dead on...all rounded story and concept wise...but now that it's done he hasn't got anything in him for a while
happens alot with authors particulalry....think of jeff noon for example and vurt- could never follow up the impact of that novel
loads of example of the same thing
but this is all just bullshit speculation....
donnie darko really made a profound impression on me.... in a way a movie hasn't in quite a while
i'm dying to know what he comes up with next

xerxes

Quote from: aclockworkjjGive it time, the guy is a USC grad, I am sure that high-priced education will keep his foot in the door...And I am sure some riskier studio will hand him something just for what Darko did....good flick, hope in next are as well.

i think he went to ucla

Weak2ndAct

Kelly went to USC (and was in the same frat as Luke Greenfield, director of the wretched "The Animal," go figure).  And as for what's coming up, I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised by "Knowing"  :wink:

Duck Sauce

USC doesnt typically output the most creative directors (yes, name the exceptions), it seems like they always end up directing the Scooby Doos, and SNL movies....

Donnie Darko deserves his own section on this board... god damn

MacGuffin

Quote from: Duck SauceUSC doesnt typically output the most creative directors (yes, name the exceptions)

Robert Zemeckis
George Lucas
John Carpenter
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

You just proved Duck Sauce's point, Mac.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Yep. But to clarify, I'm not saying these guys can't make bad films, but I think at their best, they are good craftsmen of factory produced films for their audience's interest.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

And when they are "at their best," you don't believe that they have more creativity in their films than other directors who are making "Scooby Doos, and SNL comedies" as Duck suggested?

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

USC film is a strange place these days, b/c if you have a lick of talent and the moolah to pay tuition and get your films together, there's a very good chance you'll score an agent (many do while in school).  It's one of the closest things you'll find to a college to lead you directly into the biz.  The connections you can make there are plentiful.  The school I went to is a whole other story-- the school paid for the movies, but it garnered 1 connection at best.  And it's name means bupkiss.  But thankfully one director has broken out to give the place some credibility.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Weak2ndActBut thankfully one director has broken out to give the place some credibility.

...and cut!

Allright, since you and I are alone, you can tell me now.