Where The Wild Things Are

Started by tpfkabi, November 27, 2003, 09:31:27 PM

tpfkabi

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 25, 2009, 12:50:42 PM
And if anyone asks, The Arcade Fire - "Wake Up"

This is not the Funeral version though, is it?

It doesn't sound like I remember it, especially at first. Seems a little slower.

This looks really good, btw.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

the beginning is acoustic and then goes into the album version.

HD: http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/wherethewildthingsare/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alexandro

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

^^^^ indeed

what can I say, are we the luckiest filmgeeks alive or what? same year we get wild things, avatar, voyage of tree life, antichrist and so on...this year already rules.

Stefen

^Don't forget The Road!

This is going to be the best year since 1999.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

Quote from: modage on March 25, 2009, 01:59:13 PM
the beginning is acoustic and then goes into the album version.

is the full acoustic version from a b-side or live radio show?
i've never heard the full thing.

Fernando

Quote from: Stefen on March 25, 2009, 04:00:15 PM
^Don't forget The Road!

This is going to be the best year since 1999.

damn it, I was totally gonna put that one also, but thought those five were 'nuff...in fact lemme add another one The Lovely Bones and whatever our girl kate does this year (although imdb has no project for her yet)  :shock:

Stefen

The wild things look AMAZING. Organic and real. I'm so glad Spike Jonze didn't go with shitty CGI. Let's hope the studio doesn't make him throw in some wack shit like one of the creatures farting by a pod racer.

polkablues

I'm completely with Stefen on that.  The most amazing thing about this movie is how completely authentic it feels.  There's nothing cutesy, nothing phony, nothing that feels like a compromise to what studio executives assume isn't suitable for a movie that's ostensibly aimed towards kids.  Just a real kid in real locations with real wild things. 

This is not one of those movies that's going to come and go.  This is going to be a touchstone; something that people will still be watching and still be talking about 50 years from now.  I said it on the first page of this thread back in 2005 and I still believe it: The Wizard of Oz of our time.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

Sleepless

Fucking A. I'm well excited. How long have we been waiting for this trailer? I love the beginning of it - the boy slowly realizing where he is, moving through the forest. Awesome. 2009 is going to be a great year. Well, the final 9 months of it should be anyways. I don't know whether this has any basis in reality or not - but did you notice those shots where the kid is happy playing in the snow? Seems to me it could be a flashback to happy times with his dad/Mom now has a new boyfriend. I wonder if that's some bits the studio wanted to give him an arc. Don't care though - all looks really great!! Yeay!!!!!  :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup:
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

tpfkabi

Quote from: polkablues on March 25, 2009, 05:42:31 PM
This is not one of those movies that's going to come and go.  This is going to be a touchstone; something that people will still be watching and still be talking about 50 years from now.  I said it on the first page of this thread back in 2005 and I still believe it: The Wizard of Oz of our time.

I think this is very plausible.

The question is - how do you think Spike Jonze would react to enormous success?

SiliasRuby

Quote from: bigideas on March 26, 2009, 11:25:03 AM
Quote from: polkablues on March 25, 2009, 05:42:31 PM

I think this is very plausible.

The question is - how do you think Spike Jonze would react to enormous success?
He's going to be offered Transformers 3 and win a best director for it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

Arcade Fire Re-Record 'Wake Up' For 'Where The Wild Things Are' Trailer
Source: MTV

By now, you've probably watched, rewatched, embedded, Tweeted, re-Tweeted, status-updated and texted about the trailer for Spike Jonze's "Where the Wild Things Are." The sneak peek debuted Wednesday on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" (!) and the Apple Movie Trailers site, then quickly made the rounds on every social-networking site known to mankind (and some that probably haven't even been invented yet).

For some, the mere appearance of the trailer was enough to send them into a tizzy. After all, the buzz surrounding Jonze's take on the Maurice Sendak children's classic has been, to use one word, troubling, with rumors of disastrous test screenings and reshoots. But what really stood out for others — and gave some the shivers — was the music in that trailer.

More specifically, the use of the Arcade Fire's rousing "Wake Up," from their 2004 album Funeral. For months, there have been rumors about the music that will be featured in "Wild Things," with some reports saying Yeah Yeah Yeahs frontwoman Karen O created the film's soundtrack along with Deerhunter's Bradford Cox, something Cox would neither confirm nor deny when MTV News spoke to him last year.

Well, as it turns out, O's name is listed in the just-released "Wild Things" trailer, alongside musician Carter Burwell, who has scored all of Jonze's previous feature films as well as a little film you might have heard of called "Twilight." Under the "Music By" tag, Cox's name is nowhere to be seen.

But, more importantly, given that it's their song featured in the trailer, will the Arcade Fire's music also be featured in the film? Well, maybe. A spokesperson for the Fire told MTV News that he was reaching out to them for comment on "Wild Things" and their involvement with the film but had received no answer by press time. He did, however, confirm to MTV News that the version of "Wake Up" featured in the trailer was "a new version, re-recorded specifically for the film," so perhaps the band didn't just stop there.

But that's all just speculation at this point. Until we have some definite answers, why don't we all sit back and watch that trailer one more time.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.