the smiths / morrissey

Started by phil marlowe, March 30, 2003, 12:18:24 PM

Banky

freakerdude

thanks MacGuffin......I'll go check it out at BMG since bearshare is hosed on my PC. And maybe it's b/c I don't share.......a foolish thing to do these days.

Ah, the Smith Task Force of another kind.
MC Pee Pants

godardian

From The Onion:

LEAST ESSENTIAL SOLO ALBUM (SMITHS DIVISION)

Johnny Marr + The Healers

When The Smiths broke up in 1987, everyone knew that Morrissey would be exposed as a no-talent, and that the full genius of guitarist/songwriter Johnny Marr would be revealed at last. Impressive session work for The Pretenders, Talking Heads, The The, and others fanned the flames. Then the should-have-been-brilliant-but-wasn't Bernard Sumner collaboration happened. Then everyone forgot about Johnny Marr. Then, earlier this year, Marr and his band The Healers released an album that sounded like the lost work of some uninspired early-'90s Stone Roses wannabe. Then everyone forgot about Johnny Marr again.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardianThen the should-have-been-brilliant-but-wasn't Bernard Sumner collaboration happened.

Disagree. The two albums Electronic came out with were excellent. I still play 'em in my regular rotation.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: godardianThen the should-have-been-brilliant-but-wasn't Bernard Sumner collaboration happened.

Disagree. The two albums Electronic came out with were excellent. I still play 'em in my regular rotation.

That was actually just The Onion's opinion... I dutifully bought all the Electronic albums. I like New Order, too, so...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardianThat was actually just The Onion's opinion... I dutifully bought all the Electronic albums. I like New Order, too, so...

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that was your opinion. I did see the source, and was disagreeing with them.

But I just did a check and didn't know they came out with a third album (Twisted Tenderness). Any good?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

myadopteddaughter

Frankly, Mr. Shankly

I lip synched that song in my theatre class last year. Awesome, awesome.
mmm, mmmm good

godardian

So, I'm going to pretend this is The Smiths/Morrissey thread (and see about that title). From morrissey-solo and True to You, new album info:

"MORRISSEY NEWS

9th January 2004

You Are The Quarry is produced by Jerry Finn and engineered by Joe McGrath.

Musicians on the album are: Boz Boorer (guitar), Alain Whyte (guitar), Gary Day (bass), and Dean Butterworth (drums), with Roger Manning (piano).

The album has been recorded at Sarm in Berkshire (England), and Conway Studio in Los Angeles.

Songs recorded on the session are:

"America Is Not The World"
"Irish Blood, English Heart"
"I Have Forgiven Jesus"
"Come Back To Camden"
"I'm Not Sorry"
"The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores"
"How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?"
"The First Of The Gang To Die"
"Teenage Dad On His Estate"
"I Like You"
"The Never-Played Symphonies"
"The Slum Mums"
"You Know I Couldn't Last"
"Home Is A Question Mark"
"The Public Image"
"It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small"

The album is set for release on the Attack label through Sanctuary Records in the second week of April.

Attack are also negotiating with Nancy Sinatra to release her version of "Let Me Kiss You" as a single. The song was originally recorded by Morrissey for inclusion on
You Are The Quarry."

phil marlowe

hey! someone changed the title of my thread

I'M SO OFFENDED

godardian

From http://www.morrissey-solo.com

(also check out http://www.morrisseymusic.com the new "OFFICIAL" website)

"This is the best album I've ever done."
    - Morrissey, on You Are The Quarry

You Are the Quarry, the first new solo material in seven years from Morrissey, is to be released May 17th in the UK and May 18th in the US on Sanctuary's revamped imprint, Attack.  Recorded in Los Angeles and London, Quarry is an album of extraordinary original songs using keyboards interwoven with crunchy guitars that work to create a lush, musical backdrop.

"There are no links to the past. This is a much brighter sounding album, than much of my previous work.  We've turned the page with Quarry. It's a dynamic album and I couldn't be any happier."

"America is Not the World," "I Have Forgiven Jesus" and "The World is Full of Crashing Bores" illustrate that Morrissey's genius and wit haven't waned a bit. On "America", Morrissey personally pleads with the U.S. of A to hold on to its humility and to cease its heavy-handedness but, make no mistake, "America" is not an anti-American song. "I love you/I love you/America/ but you are not the world," Morrissey sings in a melancholy voice while a thunderous guitar strums and a drum beats heavily in the background. "I'm Not Sorry" shows that Morrissey has no regrets. "I'm not sorry for the things I've done" he sings to the sound of a droning guitar and the beat-beat-beat of a drum loop as Morrissey warns "There's a Wildman in my head."  Morrissey lets his detractors know that harsh words have helped his career in "You Know I Couldn't Last," "the critics can't break you/they unwittingly make you."

"The song is my response to the negative press I have endured over the years," Morrissey says.

Instead of firing back at his detractors, however, Morrissey takes the criticism in stride. In fact, "Last" sounds more like a thank you note to the nay-sayers what with the song's powerful drum beat and hummable chorus making it an irresistible foot tapping piece of pop poetry.

From mandolin to flute to harp to moog keyboard, Quarry's richly textured musical layers see Morrissey exploring new musical territory. The album crosses many genres, incorporating subtle elements of dance, jazz, world and rock. Morrissey said the combination will definitely appeal to his core fanbase and will also reel an audience that may not be familiar with his earlier solo work.

Quarry was produced by Jerry Finn, one of the most in-demand producers working today, who was behind massive selling hit albums by pop-punk rockers such as Blink-182, AFI and Green Day. It may seem strange that a producer who is best known for breathing new life into the punk rock movement would be twisting the knobs for an artist like Morrissey. But to hear Morrissey tell it, theirs is the perfect marriage.

"I wanted a louder sound for this record," said Morrissey. "I was introduced to Jerry by a mutual friend. He made me feel very confident. He's not easily pleased and he's not prepared to be overwrought. He knows exactly what he wants to do. He was able to help me create the sound for this album that I had already been hearing in my head."

Finn said he set out to create an organic "creamy" album with Morrissey and the outcome is much better than even he anticipated. "This is one of the best records I've produced," said Finn. "It's just purely organic and it sounds incredible."

Finn recruited acclaimed keyboard player Roger Manning, a founding member of the seminal pop band Jellyfish who has also worked with Blink-182, Air and Beck, to the fold. Manning's contribution to Quarry is nothing short of spectacular. His keyboard and synthesizer work gives the album a somewhat vintage feel but still manages to sound current and blissful behind Morrissey's dynamic vocal arrangements. Morrissey is backed up on Quarry by his longtime band: guitarists Boz Boorer and Alain Whyte, bass player Gary Day and Dean Butterworth on drums. You Are The Quarry marks the first time in Morrissey's solo career that he recorded his vocals with the band in a studio, Finn says. On his previous albums, Morrissey would record his vocals first and the band would record the music later.

"Having everyone in the studio at the same time made the creative process much easier," Finn said. "Instead of trying to create the music around Morrissey's vocals, which is how it used to be done, we were able to create a much more listenable album because everyone was in the same room at the same time and it made the album much tighter. I think Quarry is Morrissey's best work because of how it was recorded."

There's no denying Morrissey's impact on pop music. As lead singer for The Smiths, arguably the best alternative act of the 80s, Morrissey blazed a trail for dozens of modern day alternative rock acts including The Strokes, The Rapture and The Shins amongst others.

Morrissey has sold millions of records worldwide both as a solo artist and during his time with The Smiths. His concerts sell-out in minutes and in 2003, despite the fact that Morrissey hasn't released an album of new material since 1997; he played two sold out nights in Anaheim to three thousand ravenous fans. .

"My audience believed through the years that I've never received the recognition I deserved on my records," Morrissey said. "I have an incredibly loyal following and they have made it their mission to support me when ever I play a concert. I'm grateful for that."

Prior to signing with the Sanctuary family, Morrissey said he met with the label's chief executive officer Merck Mercuriadis in New York and expressed interest in reviving the Attack label. "They had a drawer full of labels that they bought and Attack was part of the Trojan family," Morrissey said. "I've been a fan of the Attack label for quite some time. I have a Gregory Isaacs seven inch on my refrigerator. Well, I told Sanctuary that I wanted to re-launch the label and have Quarry released on Attack and they agreed."

Attack was launched in 1969 and became the breeding ground for dub and reggae artists including Gregory Isaacs, Family Circle and The Monkey, many of whom at the time had no place to showcase their talents. The label became part of the legendary Trojan Records in the 1970s. Trojan itself is wholly-owned by Sanctuary.

Morrissey will also sign new talent to the Attack label. Morrissey said he's already found three bands to work with and has written a song that was recorded by legendary chanteuse Nancy Sinatra, who will release an album on the label in the near future.

"This is the album that I've wanted to make for quite a while.  I believe You Are The Quarry has something for everyone." Morrissey said. "I didn't want to do the same thing over again. That's so boring."

Pas

The picture on the official website is pure delight !

godardian

Quote from: Pas RapportThe picture on the official website is pure delight !

I completely agree. :) I'm totally salivating for this album. And the single, too, if only as a foretaste.

godardian

Tidbit's from author Simon Goddard's interview on BBC radio:

"There's a clipped drum sound almost a bit like New Order's "True Faith", quite electronic. And there's a lot of spaghetti western twangy guitars in it."

"I described the song [I Like You] as anodyne, and now I'm retracting my comments on the BBC because I think that the actual recorded version is really really good. I was impressed and surprised."

"His singing on this record is really, really fantastic, and his lyrics as well... There are some good jokes on this album... He's being very political, very controversial, but at the same time there are desperate, lovelorn, isolated, classic Morrissey and a real sense of him singing about himself and perpretraing his own myth..."

"My favourite lyrical note on the album is in the song "I Have Forgiven Jesus" ... 'Monday -- Humiliation. Tuesday -- Suffocation. Wednesday -- Condescension' and the line that absolutely killed me 'Thursday is Pathetic."

"The opening track "America Is Not the World" has a funny verse about hamburgers. Classic Morrissey, like "Meat is Murder"

"The Slum Mums doesn't appear on the album.... "Mexico" is not on it."

"The full track listing is:

America is Not the World
Irish Blood, English Heart
I Have Forgiven Jesus
Come Back to Camden (Godard's favourite song)
I'm Not Sorry
The World is Full of Crashing Bores
How Can Anyone Possibly Know How I Feel?
The First of the Gang to Die
Let Me Kiss You
I Like You
All the Lazy Dykes
You Know I Couldn't Last

"[Come Back to Camden] is a really classic Morrissey song. In the same vein as "I Know it's Gonna Happen Someday" and "Trouble Loves Me", a beautiful piano ballad. And the lyrics are very John Betjmen, "Everyday is Like Sunday". There's a line about 'Drinking tea with the taste of the Thames' It's a really fantastic song. It's got that welling-up quality about it."

"There's a great flute solo on "I'm Not Sorry". 'I Like You' begins with like an acid-house synth, which sounds horrible but really works."

"A lot of credit must go to Jerry Finn. ... Electronic drum sounds like on Viva Hate with "Late Night, Maudlin Street" That sharp kind of click"

"It's no great musical departure from Vauxhall and I, but in terms of production it sounds very contemporary."

"He sings about Americans being overfed warmongers. America is Not the World is a really strong opener."

"I think his fans will love it and there's so much good will out there in the world for Morrissey."

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: godardianI Have Forgiven Jesus
I like that.

godardian

From Billboard:

Morrissey Gets Direct On 'Quarry'

Morrissey reels off some of the most direct lyrics of his career on "You Are the Quarry," his first album since 1997's "Maladjusted." Due May 17 internationally and a day later in North America via Sanctuary's reactivated Attack imprint, the 12-track set finds the former Smiths frontman expressing his views on American politics, religion and the longstanding civil war between England and Ireland, in addition to imagining himself as a member of a Mexican street gang.

Previewed recently for Billboard.com, the album opens with "America Is Not the World," in which Morrissey describes the dichotomy of a country that is a "land of opportunity in a just and truthful way / and where the President is not black, female or gay." First single "Irish Blood, English Heart" sees him in a similarly defiant state of mind, declaring, "no regime can buy or sell me."

Morrissey is nothing if not perpetually unlucky in love, a subject he tackles on "I'm Not Sorry" ("the woman of my dreams, she never came along / the woman of my dreams, well, there never was one"), "Let Me Kiss You" and "I Like You," one of the album's standout tracks. On the latter, which is melodically reminiscent of Human League's synth-pop classic "Don't You Want Me," Morrissey admits to the subject, "no one I ever knew or have spoken to resembles you."

On album closer "You Know I Couldn't Last," the artist uses years of critical drubbing as inspiration for a nearly six-minute epic that balances soft verses with emphatic choruses. "The critics who can't break you / they somehow help to make you," he sings. Later, he reminds himself, "your royalties bring you luxuries."

"I Have Forgiven Jesus" zeroes in on Morrissey's familiar bluntly honest lyrical outlook: "Monday, humiliation / Tuesday, suffocation / Wednesday, condescension / Thursday is pathetic / By Friday, life has killed me." The artist's storytelling skills are also in fine form on "Come Back to Camden," as he paints a scene of "drinking tea with a taste of the Thames / where taxi drivers never stop talking under stale gray Victorian sky."

"First of the Gang To Die" is a romanticized peek into Mexican gang life, as Morrissey narrates the tale of Hector, not only the first of his mates to be killed, but also the first "with a gun in his hand" and the "first to do time."

Overall, the Jerry-Finn produced "Quarry" emphasizes the poppier side of Morrissey's musical persona. Synthesized strings are prominent on a number of tracks, as are the keyboard contributions of Roger Manning Jr. (Jellyfish, Air). The artist slips into falsetto on several occasions, particularly on "Come Back to Camden."

While dates are still being confirmed, a major tour is in the works in support of the album. Just finalized is a June 2 appearance at Denmark's annual Roskilde Festival. The artist is also rumored to be appearing at the 2004 edition of Lollapalooza.

Beginning May 24, Morrissey is confirmed to appear for an entire week on CBS' "The Late Late Show With Craig Kilborn." As previously reported, he will curate the U.K.'s Meltdown Festival, which runs from June 11-27."