Original Star Wars Trilogy to be released on DVD

Started by Raikus, February 07, 2003, 03:29:25 PM

Ghostboy

Quote from: MyxomatosisI've never heard of an artist going back to "correct" a painting.
Among many other such cases, it's generally believed that DaVinci went back and added certain things to the Mona Lisa -- mainly, adding the landscape to the background after the figure was already in place.

Pubrick

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: MyxomatosisI've never heard of an artist going back to "correct" a painting.
Among many other such cases, it's generally believed that DaVinci went back and added certain things to the Mona Lisa -- mainly, adding the landscape to the background after the figure was already in place.
yeah, that statement is full of holes. the most gaping one is comparing lucas to an artist.
under the paving stones.

Pedro

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: Ghostboy
yeah, that statement is full of holes. the most gaping one is comparing lucas to an artist.
hahaha, i like that.

modage

here's something i dont quite get after watching the zoetrope thing on the thx dvd.  he singlehandedly RUINED the utopian dream that was American Zoetrope and yet, when he became a billionaire didnt think to maybe put a little bit of money back into it to let young filmmakers pursue the dream they started?  or actually let lucasfilm put out OTHER peoples movies?   coppola was all about sharing the wealth and trying to help everyone else and lucas ruined things for everyone else and became a billionaire anyways.  thats sort of a dick move isnt it?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

ALL RIGHT I GET IT. YOU ALL HATE LUCAS.

Quote from: themodernage02here's something i dont quite get after watching the zoetrope thing on the thx dvd.  he singlehandedly RUINED the utopian dream that was American Zoetrope and yet, when he became a billionaire didnt think to maybe put a little bit of money back into it to let young filmmakers pursue the dream they started?  or actually let lucasfilm put out OTHER peoples movies?   coppola was all about sharing the wealth and trying to help everyone else and lucas ruined things for everyone else and became a billionaire anyways.  thats sort of a dick move isnt it?

Did you not watch the entire documentary? Don't blame all that shit on Lucas. The doc tells you that the studio didn't back THX 1138, and thus cancelled all the deals made with Zoetrope. It's not Lucas's fault his film wasn't well received. Lucas and Coppola did what they wanted - made films their own way. Coppola continued to make his Zoetrope thrive with all his success with The Godfather. This was before American Graffiti and Star Wars.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i did watch the whole thing, and i know he made the film he wanted to make, (well almost, apparently), but it was HIS film that made warner back out of the 7 picture deal with zoetrope and it basically collapsed because of him.  you would think he may have felt some guilt for that, which i didnt detect any traces of on the doc.  and you would also think that knowing what he or any of his fellow filmmakers had to go through to make THEIR movies outside of the hollywood structure, he might've wanted to keep the dream alive by supporting other filmmakers through zoetrope or lucasfilm.  is there a reason he hasnt been funding promising filmmakers to make their early films with small budgets and creative freedom?  he has the money/power?  why wouldnt he offer the help that he wasnt offered?  i dont hate lucas.  i just dont get him.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02i did watch the whole thing, and i know he made the film he wanted to make, (well almost, apparently), but it was HIS film that made warner back out of the 7 picture deal with zoetrope and it basically collapsed because of him.  you would think he may have felt some guilt for that, which i didnt detect any traces of on the doc.  

Why should he feel guilty? IT WASN'T HIS FAULT!!! The studio fucked him over, wanting to cut the film for time and no backing on the release. Why do you think they had the guys waiting outside the projection room ready to take back the film after the screening? He was afraid they would take the film away from him completely.

The screenplay was turned down initially, but they lied to get the film made through WB. Remember, this was the time when studios had no idea what they were doing and were looking to the young filmmakers (with the success of Easy Rider) to steer them in the right direction. But Lucas basically made an experimential film that the suits didn't "get".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

I know this is blasphemy, but I think that most, if not all the changes that have been made are to the benefit of the films.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

SHAFTR

Quote from: MacGuffinAP: Why not release both the originals and special editions on DVD?

Lucas: The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it. ... I'm not going to spend the, we're talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn't really exist anymore. It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be.

In 1983, he wanted Hayden Christensen in Return of the Jedi.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

Quote from: SHAFTRIn 1983, he wanted Hayden Christensen in Return of the Jedi.

No, he wanted Anakin Skywalker. He couldn't put in an unknown at the end coda, so he used the same Anakin (Sebastian Shaw) from under the mask that Luke takes off. The DVD changes now reflect the physical state when Anakin (Christensen) really does die and becomes Vader.

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

Quote from: MacGuffinThe DVD changes now reflect the physical state when Anakin (Christensen) really does die and becomes Vader.
but then his ghost would have already existed, wouldn'tit've?

MacGuffin

Quote from: picolispbut then his ghost would have already existed, wouldn'tit've?

No, his body was still alive...somewhat: "Now he's machine more than man." - Obi Wan.

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: picolispbut then his ghost would have already existed, wouldn'tit've?

No, his body was still alive...somewhat: "Now he's machine more than man." - Obi Wan.
why isn't his ghost that of the oldest guy? it makes it seems like killing the Emporer didn't count for shit towards his ghost-image. that's, like, supposed to be the defining moment of the trilogy. that whole thing about how the whole thing is about redemption. it's the best thing Anakin ever did. it made him. if you're going to pick a moment when he was the "goodest" you should just go with when he was a kid before he started with the mass-murdering of sand people.

RegularKarate

I don't think it's "most goodest" as much as it is "Best Jediest" and he wasn't a jedi yet when he was a little booger-picker

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: DerekI know this is blasphemy, but I think that most, if not all the changes that have been made are to the benefit of the films.

THANK YOU :notworthy:

SpoilerS

I agree with that 100%.  I am sick and tired of all of these Star Wars geeks bitching about the changes.  I don't care if Lucas puts an extra scene where Han fucks Greedo.  I want the damn dvds.  Plus all of these poepl who are bitching about the changes will be the same poeple buying this badass set the day it comes out.  I was reading online and starting thinking about these changes and if they really fuck the films up.  I think they are necessary.  I like how at the end of Jedi Hayden will be at the end w/ Yoda and Obi instead of Shaw.  Thats fucking fine by me.  It makes everything flow together.  I was secretly hoping that he would do something like this.  Because I want these films to all gel.  And no one should complain about the fact that all the effects will be smoothed out and more real looking and 'updated'.  People have go tto realize whether they like it or not "The Phantom Menance" and "Attack of the Clones" are part of the Star Wars universe-so deal with the changes and learn to accept them.  Be thankful that Lucas actaully cares enough to change these films soem to give them more consistancy with each other.  Another thing I like is the fact the at the end of Jedi the celebration scenes will contain Naboo and the Jedi Temple.  These two locations are featured heavily in the first two films and it is a smart thing to do to include them in Jedi.  And remeber these are Lucas' films not yours.  I cant believe that the huge Staw Wars geeks [i am talking about the ones who dress up in costume, attend conventions, and think Jedism is a true functioning religion] try to diss on the new additons to the films because w/o Lucas bringing Star Wars into their life they would have nothing to live for [or they would have to turn to Star Trek].

1. Chill the fuck out
2. Buy these dvds
3. Deal with it