Did XIXAX help Introduce you to PTA?

Started by Banky, November 09, 2003, 08:49:38 PM

Banky

I had seen BN and Magnolia prior to joining this site.  I had seen them when i was really young .  Now after becoming a member, i have BN, Mag, and PDL on dvd.  

I was just curious who learned more about and became a fan of PTA after being a member of this site?

SHAFTR

I saw PDL in the theatre, it blew my mind.  Rented Magnolia the next week, went to this website (seduceanddestroy.com).  

Since, I now own all the PTA films.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

freakerdude

I saw Boogie Nights and had no clue as to who PTA was. After cruising this site, I decided to give Punch Drunk Love a shot since there was a lot of talk about it. Now I am ready to check out Magnolia.

Boogie Nights is an awesome movie that really appeals to my liking. PDL will have to get another viewing.

And the answer is yes, as to if I became aware of of who this guy was. Otherwise, I might have been clueless.
MC Pee Pants

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

In my case, XIXAX literally introduced me to PTA because I first read about his Q&A at the Dryden Theatre in Rochester thru this site. And there I shook the brotha-man's hand and got a coupla photos my fuckin' Idol.

So yes.

In a way somewhat indirect to the question, yes.

NEON MERCURY

::recites the word "picture frame" backwards 7 times then eats four donuts::

TIME LINE---boogie nights---hard eight---magnolia---p.t.anderson.com---xixax.com.-----punch-drunk love----????

Alethia

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestionIn my case, XIXAX literally introduced me to PTA because I first read about his Q&A at the Dryden Theatre in Rochester thru this site. And there I shook the brotha-man's hand and got a coupla photos my fuckin' Idol.

So yes.

In a way somewhat indirect to the question, yes.

same story.

i first saw magnolia, became obsessed with it, rented boogie and hard eight, loved em both, saw PDL twice in the theaters, discovered ptanderson.com then the C&C boards were closed, then this was born....

SoNowThen

Quote from: NEON MERCURY::recites the word "picture frame" backwards 7 times then eats four donuts::

TIME LINE---boogie nights---hard eight---magnolia---p.t.anderson.com---xixax.com.-----punch-drunk love----????

I'm the exact same way, except switch pdl with xixax.

Boogie was my number 1 movie until Magnolia knocked it out, so I was a pretty big fan when I thought no one else was. I remember being in line (w/ free tickets) for the awful Jakob The Liar, and seeing a poster with some frogs on it, saying "from the director of Boogie Nights". That's all the intro I had to Magnolia. Imagine my surprise a year later when I was at a sneak preview screening and the first THUD hit the car. That poster came crashing back in my mind, and I got a big grin...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

I always frequented ptanderson.com and saw ads for the forums but never actually checked them out until late March, after I had seen all of his films. So PTA helped introduce me to XIXAX.

ono

Quote from: SHAFTRI saw PDL in the theatre, it blew my mind.  Rented Magnolia the next week, went to this website (seduceanddestroy.com).  

You know, you forget how many people could potentially come across this site because XIXAX owns seduceanddestroy.com now.  That's so great.  Free advertising after the fact.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: SHAFTRI saw PDL in the theatre, it blew my mind.  Rented Magnolia the next week, went to this website (seduceanddestroy.com).  

You know, you forget how many people could potentially come across this site because XIXAX owns seduceanddestroy.com now.  That's so great.  Free advertising after the fact.

I have infact been seduced with my 700 plus posts, it remains to be seen if I am destroyed.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Slick Shoes

I saw Boogie Nights, then Magnolia, then Hard Eight, then Punch-Drunk. I was actually a member of the old board, went by a different name though. i began visiting greg's site regularly after seeing magnolia. i just had to know more about the guy who made the most audacious, beautiful, powerful, personal, energetic, unique, brilliant movie i had ever seen.

kotte

Magnolia drove me to the cigs & coffee site...rest is history.

Kal

actually Boogie Nights made me curious and then after Magnolia I found Greg's website and that drove me in here... he should earn money for the referalls :)

Pedro

Rented Magnolia because i heard great things about it.  I was overwhelmed on one viewing so i watched it again the next day.  fell in love.  went to cigs and coffee.  watched the rest of his movies, joined that board.  board shut down.  am here.

Crash

i was asking my friend who he thought was the best drama actor and he said he like tom cruise because of magnolia. and so i thought that he just being a weirdo teenage heart throb victim. and i told him that. anyway, he said after magnolia there was no question. this then led to questions of who directed it and then i got hooked. i saw hard 8 just as a homage to pta and cuz i was kinda curious. but i liked it even though it wasn't as fast paced as bn or magnolia. but yeah.... this is true and this is all....
"Drum roll please...I'm gonna be a screenwriter! Like you!"