Take Away The Frogs!

Started by panandscam, July 16, 2003, 10:35:23 PM

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Ghoulardi GoonOuch.  I think what he meant was the film would have been exciting w/o the cock shot, but it (like a Magnolia w/o frogs) would not have had as cool an ending.

the cock shot is one of the best last shots in a movie ever!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: rudieob
Quote from: Ghoulardi GoonOuch.  I think what he meant was the film would have been exciting w/o the cock shot, but it (like a Magnolia w/o frogs) would not have had as cool an ending.

If you say so.  I won't trample on personal preferences.  

:)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Ghoulardi Goon

If you say so.  I won't trample on personal preferences.  

:)

can you think of any better ones?  that sounds like an interesting topic of discussion.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Myxo

Quote from: P
Quote from: Shaun DigiGOD. I hate it when people say: (In Pestering Tone of Voice) Take away the violence out of Movie X and what remains?
that's weird cos i was just watching the anime movie X

and it woulda sucked without the violence.

No doubt. Samurai X kicks ass, but it would suck without all the sword gore.

Vile5

Quote from: rudieobsarcasm on the internet is like a dog with a gun.  no one knows where he got it and it's dangerous to everyone.

:roll:
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Sleepless

can you think of any better ones?  that sounds like an interesting topic of discussion.

I quite like the last shot in Donnie Darko, with Gretchin and that little kid waving. It's subtle but touching.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

Quote from: Sleepless

I quite like the last shot in Donnie Darko, with Gretchin and that little kid waving. It's subtle but touching.

And 25th Hour! Okay, so I albsolutely love every frame of that movie, and it's not so much the last shot, but more the ending in general. To think that he fucked up his life so much (and the lives of those around him), and yet someone still cares so much about him. Wow. But yeah, that's gone of the subject so I'll shut up now.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

kassius

New here. I must say that I agree.

I think one of the great things about the frog scene is that it seperated the movie from your average viewer.  It takes a certain kind of person to really appreciate the art in PTA's films.   As far as the F&TF crowd, I hear you!  I watched "Punch Drunk Love" with some friends of mine, into the teenage shoot-em up stuff, and they couldn't understand the passion behind the harmonium's element. They would have gone nuts over the frogs in... "Magnolia". Why bother?

Nobody else gets it... Maybe they are dense? Maybe they are dumb?

I don't know.  But I like his creative aspect.

Quote from: aClockworkWalrusAre you kidding?  Remove the frogs?  Seriously.  You never payed attention.  The 8:2's hidden everywhere lead to it.  There's a huuuge thread showing pics of it.  So what you're implying is take out all the 8:2's, as well?  

The reason I liked the frogs is because people who like movies liked that scene.  People who liked Fast and the Furious were like "Whoa! Frogs!  This is gay!  I wasted 3 hours!"  Why someone who didn't appreciate movies woudl watch Magnolia is beyond me, though.

In short...the frogs, i feel, seperated the fans from the uh...not fans.