Dirs NOT to add

Started by Tiff, January 08, 2003, 06:53:42 PM

Duck Sauce

I read that interview, it kind of came off like he was insulting Boogie Nights, "He took that right from I AM CUBA"

Gold Trumpet

Actually, I think that comment was more to put himself up with Paul Thomas Anderson because he thought it was so fine and dandy that he recognized the influence. Me, I'm not sure he did because nothing in that movies seems to have had influence for him, but you know, he could have read any article or review of the movie that plainly recognized where the influence came from.

~rougerum

bonanzataz

Ratner is a studio puppet so he will always be making movies. I guarantee that the studio is going to try and tout him as the next household name director. The previews for his films won't say, "From the director of Rush Hour" or "Red Dragon," they will just say "from director Brett Ratner" and everybody will know who he is. Big name directors hardly mean anything because they're only big name if their movies make lots of money. Directors of big blockbusters are there to keep the ball rolling and the big blockbusters themselves are hardly risky for the studios. Everybody knew xXx or Lord of the Rings was going to make money because those types of movies appeal to many people. Big name directors are there so studios can market the movie better. There is a reason it's called movie "business." Unless you're rich beyond belief you can't afford to make a make a personal film that won't get picked up. I don't know what I'm saying anymore, I lost myself. There was a point in all this, but I forgot what it was. Maybe somebody can help me out?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Variety talked to Lord of the Rings writer & producer Fran Walsh, who sheds some light on what's next after the trilogy. "Peter's already very much engaged in 'Return of the King,' and I know he's most proud of the last movie," Walsh said.

They'll next make a small, true story in the vein of Heavenly Creatures, says the trade. One candidate is As Nature Made Him which is the true story of a New Zealand doctor who thought he'd found the perfect subject to test his theory that gender can be assigned to newborns. He switched the gender of an eight-month old who was deformed down below in a circumcision mishap.

"The boy was remade and raised as a girl, and it's the story of how that experiment ended so disastrously," Walsh said. Variety adds that Walsh and Jackson will also try to attract other films to their production and fx studios used for "Rings." They need to keep things going until they regain the energy to mount their remake of King Kong.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Columbia Pictures will develop and McG (CHARLIE'S ANGELS 1 & 2) will direct and produce a live-action film based on - you may want to sit down for this - Hot Wheels. Yes, Hot Wheels. The little cars you played with as a child are making their way to the silver screen. The picture looks to "highlight the emotional excitement and visceral experience of Hot Wheels."

Columbia Pictures president Amy Pascal went on to explain saying, "Generations of families have grown up with these beloved cars and track sets. We could not be more thrilled and challenged by the opportunity to successfully translate the Hot Wheels brand into a feature film. The goal is to create a compelling human element with a dramatic focus that will take audiences on the ride of their life." Challenge....the understatement of the new century ladies and gents.

McG himself added to the festivities by saying "we want to create a timeless story that will work for everyone - a charismatic young hero, great stakes and jeopardy, and a fantastic love story."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Is it going to be CGI or what? Im happy for the guy.

Spike

Ratner is an asshole! He became his ass full of money by his parents and that's the reason why he's making movies in Hollywood today!
Peter Jackson is a GOD in filmmaking. He fought his whole way up to the directors chair and that needs a special mention to him.
Ratner is making shit films and Jackson is directing great film! CUT!

Spike
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

cowboykurtis

Quote from: MacGuffinColumbia Pictures will develop and McG (CHARLIE'S ANGELS 1 & 2) will direct and produce a live-action film based on - you may want to sit down for this - Hot Wheels. Yes, Hot Wheels. The little cars you played with as a child are making their way to the silver screen. The picture looks to "highlight the emotional excitement and visceral experience of Hot Wheels."
."

why does this sound like a bad SNL skit? that could easily be the worst idea i've heard in a while. whats next?  LEGOS: THE MOVIE... the hearbreaking struggle of a lonely LEGGO trying to get a "peice".
...your excuses are your own...

©brad

i miss my hotwheels.  :(

remember lincoln logs? how fun were they!!

Ernie

Yeah, fuck Ratner and Peter Jackson (who is better than Ratner but still sucky)...and Todd Solondz too, I'm back to hating him now. Storytelling and Happiness are horrible movies and WTTD isn't that good after a replay or two either. If any of those 3 bastards are added, I'll eat my freaking hat. Don't add any of these guys....

-brett ratner
-james cameron
-joel schumacher
-larry clark
-michael bay
-oliver stone
-peter jackson
-ron howard
-todd solondz

TK-421

Finally someone who doesn't salivate over LOTR. I won't put the entire blame on Jackson however, since the screenplay had alot to do with it as well (yes I know he was one of the writers too)

There was just so much "goofiness" infused that it probably would have been better tackled by Dreamworks or something as a kid's animation movie. I realize that the books were written for children and if Jackson wanted to stay "true" to them he probably had little lattitude. But I do think he could have introduced some additional scenes and edited others down (or out) that would have made the films more compelling. As it stands now I'd rather watch a Harry Potter flick to get my "childhood escapism" fix....<gasp>

©brad

Quote from: ebeaman69Yeah, fuck Ratner and Peter Jackson (who is better than Ratner but still sucky)...and Todd Solondz too, I'm back to hating him now. Storytelling and Happiness are horrible movies and WTTD isn't that good after a replay or two either. If any of those 3 bastards are added, I'll eat my freaking hat. Don't add any of these guys....

-brett ratner
-james cameron
-joel schumacher
-larry clark
-michael bay
-oliver stone
-peter jackson
-ron howard
-todd solondz

you made a powerful enemy today my friend.

Sleuth

I can sort of understand your spite for Solondz if that isn't your cup of tea, but come on, Jackson?  What has he done to offend you this much?
I like to hug dogs

Ravi

Chris Columbus
Adam Shankman
Raja Gosnell

cowboykurtis

Quote from: cbrad4d
Quote from: ebeaman69Yeah, fuck Ratner and Peter Jackson (who is better than Ratner but still sucky)...and Todd Solondz too, I'm back to hating him now. Storytelling and Happiness are horrible movies and WTTD isn't that good after a replay or two either. If any of those 3 bastards are added, I'll eat my freaking hat. Don't add any of these guys....

-brett ratner
-james cameron
-joel schumacher
-larry clark
-michael bay
-oliver stone
-peter jackson
-ron howard
-todd solondz

you made a powerful enemy today my friend.

cbrad, ive got your back if you need it...
...your excuses are your own...