Leviathan

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, May 21, 2013, 12:21:58 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I just caught a screening of this, but I believe it came out in 2012 officially.

The only dialogue to be heard in this movie is garbled barking through a loudspeaker, barely audible over the churning water and waves crashing into the boat.  A vessel that for all intents and purposes is the sea beast that rides on above the water, reaching nets down into the murk and pulling schools of fish at a time.  They are dumped into piles and while struggling to breathe, are beheaded and gutted.

Dizzying, mesmerizing, horrifying, it captures both the churning of sea fauna carcasses and the gradual trudging along the seas.  A cold, lifeless machine piloted by indifferent men.  Technology has become the new king of the sea, skimming for all signs of life.  Not so much a documentary against the operation as a depiction of this giant vessel and how it prowls.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye