all things iPod (buying, using, breaking)

Started by cron, January 15, 2004, 11:48:12 AM

polkablues

Quote from: eward on December 27, 2005, 02:15:48 AM
worth a shot

EDIT

didn't work, any other suggestions?

How did that not work?

If it's putting them in alphabetical order, and each track name starts with 01, 02, ect... that's alphabetical order.  Are you putting the numbers in front of the song titles in iTunes, or just in the filename?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

the album DESIRE (i'm starting with all my bob dylan shit) i had actually bought on disc, and i did the number thing with the trakcs from that and it imported them correctly, but i have a burned copy of freewheelin' which is all downloaded material, and when i did the same thing to the track titles from that, it put them in alphabetical order again as if the numbers weren't there.....am i out of luck because most of my music was downloaded from limewire?

polkablues

That's bizarre... I just got an iPod myself, and the numbers thing always works for me, whether the music was downloaded or from a cd.

EDIT: Try, instead of copying the songs from the Library section, putting each album in its own playlist (which will let you drag the tracks around to whatever order you want them in), then copy them into the iPod from the playlist.

Kal

Not sure, but I think that if you sort 'by album' instead of by name or song it will show you the original order of the songs in that album.

If not, the numbers should do it...

Alethia

none a that stuff worked........GOD DAMN IT this is annoying, and of course it takes a fucking fortnight to get ahold of someone when you call apple

RegularKarate

Why did sorting by album not work?

Go to info for the MP3 on iTunes and make sure the album title is the same for all of them and make sure the # of # is properly filled in.  That should do the trick... otherwise, your iPod is haunted... call the Ghostbusters.

polkablues

You're not alone, eward... I just discovered that, out of four albums I downloaded off the web (and I put the track number before the title on every song), two are in proper order on the iPod, one magically ignores the numbers and puts itself in alphabetical order, and one is in some completely random order that doesn't make sense at all.

CDs I've ripped organize fine, and so do albums I got off iTunes.  It's just the ones I downloaded from other sources that have the potential for getting out of order.

matt35mm

Oh okay.  If that's the case, they need to be organized under iTunes.  Select the songs, go to "Get Info," and insert the track number.  If you rip a CD, it generally automatically does this, but if you're downloading songs, then yes, you'll have to do that.

If you're not using iTunes, then download iTunes.  There's no use complaining if you're using software not designed for the iPod.

The whole thing is engineered to work very smoothly, so there should be no need for that silly putting the numbers in front of the track name thing.

polkablues

YES. 

That's what did it.  I had failed to see the "Track Number __ of __" before.  But that definitely did the trick for me.

EDIT: And just a side note for anyone with a video iPod.  DON'T WASTE YOUR 30 BUCKS ON QTpro.  It converts the video fine, but doesn't support Windows media or a lot of non-DIVX AVI codecs.  Videora is the big-name free alternative, and it gives you lots of options, but I've had audio-sync issues on about half the videos I've converted with it.  Plus, it's ungodly slow.  The best program I've found is called 3GP Converter.  It's fast, dependable, and tiny.  You can put a bunch of video in the queue and just let it run in the background all day.  Right now I'm loading up my 60 gigs with music videos and South Park episodes.

context, context, context.

polkablues

Didn't want cronopio's post getting lost on the previous page...

Quote from: cronopio on December 29, 2005, 04:47:58 PM
here's a lil' sumthin' fo' the ipod video/mac users:

http://www.isquint.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=14

Also: www.podtropolis.com

Bit torrent site exclusively for iPod media.

that's pretty impressive polka. you rule.

Alethia

Quote from: polkablues on December 29, 2005, 04:15:36 PM
YES. 

That's what did it.  I had failed to see the "Track Number __ of __" before.  But that definitely did the trick for me.

EDIT: And just a side note for anyone with a video iPod.  DON'T WASTE YOUR 30 BUCKS ON QTpro.  It converts the video fine, but doesn't support Windows media or a lot of non-DIVX AVI codecs.  Videora is the big-name free alternative, and it gives you lots of options, but I've had audio-sync issues on about half the videos I've converted with it.  Plus, it's ungodly slow.  The best program I've found is called 3GP Converter.  It's fast, dependable, and tiny.  You can put a bunch of video in the queue and just let it run in the background all day.  Right now I'm loading up my 60 gigs with music videos and South Park episodes.

well, the fuckin thing must be haunted then because i did just that ^^ and it still puts em in random order....i am past being angry now, im bending over

merry christmas/happy birthday to me

:yabbse-smiley:

polkablues

30 or 60 gig?

And damn it... I had the choice between the white one and the black one, and I took the white one, but now I'm getting the buyer's remorse.  That black one looks really fucking cool....