Theater of the New Ear! Charlie Kaufman/Coen brothers

Started by squints, March 09, 2005, 01:04:19 PM

squints

So there's this thing happening with Charlie Kaufman, the Coen brothers, and composer Carter Burwell...if there is a God...i will see this

from Carter Burwell.com...

This is a concert for music and text. It consists of two one-act plays, "Sawbones" by Ethan and Joel Coen and "Hope Leaves the Theater" by Charlie Kaufman. Carter Burwell will be composing music for both.

Musicians and actors will perform without staging or set - in other words there will be no visual element. As the poster says "Leave your eyes at home."

Perhaps the only "action" on stage will be the live sound effects, performed by Marco Costanzo.

The project is being produced by St. Ann's Warehouse in Brooklyn, where it will premiere the last weekend in April, 2005. It will be presented at the Royal Festival Hall in London May 13. We expect it will also be part of the UCLA Theater Festival at Royce Hall in the Fall.

...more info here...http://www.beingcharliekaufman.com/index.htm?top.htm&0
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

kotte

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: squintsMusicians and actors will perform without staging or set - in other words there will be no visual element. As the poster says "Leave your eyes at home."

2LB
Body by Guinness

kotte

A play reading with Philip Seymour Hoffman, Steve Buscemi and Meryl Streep.

And I fucking missed booking tickets by five fucking minutes.
"Great, there are tickets left. I'll go get my credit card...Okay, I'm back. Let's see, two tickets. What?! It's sold out...I wasn't even, I, what??? Fuck!!"

squints

You think a cd or dvd or something will ever come out?

hopefully...A world wide tour!...probably not
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

72teeth

:bravo: Brilliant...

The Coens' was alright, Buscemi and Hoffman were great...
---
Kaufman's was ...well it was Kaufman so if you love him, you'll love it... more of the same greatness...
Do yourself a favor, listen to it via BCK.com because the bit that plays after it is pricless, Kaufman himself couldn't have wrote a better ending...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

modage

i just listened to this at work.  the coens i could barely make out what the hell was going on and kaufman's was typical kaufman.  which if you're a huge fan like me, means typically BRILLIANT!  hilarious, self-referential, sad.  everyone should listen to it, the damn thing's an hour long.  though i think the link is not working right now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Kaufman IS typical Kaufman... the ending kinda sucks, but the rest is really fun.

The Coens is funny as crap... oldschool Coens.