Federico Fellini

Started by cine, April 05, 2003, 01:58:36 PM

SoNowThen

yes, you'll love Amarcord, it's a masterpiece.

interestingly enough, I just bought Variety Lights not too long ago. I bought it more out of a collector's spirit, just to have every Fellini, telling myself I probably wouldn't think much of it because it was his "early work". Well, was I wrong. An absolutely beautiful, funny, entertaining film. As is all of his.

I'm putting on a Fellini week for me and my roomates starting next Monday. Yay.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Mesh

Quote from: bigideasi have yet to go to the library yet to see if they can get films from universities. i work pretty much every minute they're open.
a
anywho, i wondered what the rules were regarding that:
like, how many films can you check out at a time?
who pays for shipping expense?
i'm thinking since it is a library, maybe there is no shipping for educational purposes, but i could be wrong.

Dude, Netflix.  For serious.

www.netflix.com

You'll thank me.

Ernie

Quote from: GhostboyHere are some quotes from Burton on Burton

Just bought that book! Great great stuff, I love it so far, I've read like 50 pages in 2 days, that's a lot for me.

Never seen a Fellini movie myself. I will very very soon. I blind bought Amarcord like last August, somebody told me that's the worst film to start with so I kinda forgot about it and it's buried somewhere in my dvd case now. I want to start with 8 1/2 and then I'll be sure to watch it.

Alethia

i just bought satyricon, and i'm about to watch it - is it worth it?

Gold Trumpet

You should ask whether the movie is worth it before buying it. So, of course, watch it! I have problems with the film and kinda exhausted when trying to watch it, but definitely watch it.

~rougerum

Alethia

yeah, i'm about halfway through it so far, I'm not too impressed.  i wanna watch 8 1/2.

Gold Trumpet

Definitely watch 8 1/2. It has the spirit missing in Satyricon along with the full blown style.

~rougerum

cine

Quote from: ebeamanI blind bought Amarcord, somebody told me that's the worst film to start with
What the..? Do me a favour and bitchslap that guy the next time you see him.

Alethia

yeah, i second that.  that and 8 1/2 and juliette of the spirits i have seen, and i loved.  especially 8 1/2.  i just finished satyricon and i really didn't like it for some reason.  just didn't sit well with me.  oh well.

cine

Doesn't sit well with many...

Seraphim

For me, Amarcord is the worst film to begin with...because I always save the best for last!  :)

Variety Lights is one of the few films I am NOT able to see (along with f.e. his episode for the film about Poe's work, Toby Dammit). Too bad.

His early work I've seen (I vitelloni and Il Bidone) is good enough for what they are: neo-realistic drama's, reminding of La Strada and Le Notti di Cabiria).
Il Bidone (1955) is part of the "Loneliness Trilogy", together with La Strada (1954) and Le Notti di Cabiria. One reason (more) to also watch Il Bidone!

His early work is much more neo-realistic, his later work more surrealistic. I think Fellini's most famous works are that of his "middle period" (8 1/2, La Dolce Vita), but I also like the films after that, and the films near the ending of his career, much.

His work after 8 ½ tends to become even more dream-like (Juliet of the Spirits, Roma..).  I just like that vey dreamy, hypnotic eye-candy.
Persons who like Juliet...or Roma, should also be attracted to La Citta Delle Donne (City of Women).
It starts rather chaotic (in a hotel full of women; much screaming etcetera), but it gets more and more deliriously dream-like: great atmospheric images…! Also a bit nightmearish, disturbing sometimes.

Yeah- I like a lot about Fellini's magic world!

Some memorable moments of this magic:
the dreamlike sequences of 8 ½ of course (the children in bed, talking about the painting; the opening sequence…) and the "rumba" on the beach- highly passionate!
The beautiful opening tune of Roma (maybe the best of Nino Rota) and the exhibition show for and by nons and monks (also great music!), the sequence with flashing-light in Juliet and the Spirits wherein we see lovebirds in every corner (beautiful!), fantastic imagery in Satyricon, which look more like a medieval painting by Jheronymus Bosch….

By the way: If you have a chance to see the before-mentioned French documentary  by Canadian Pettigrew…see it!
It's a docu especially for Fellini-freaks. People who haven't seen much of Fellini's work, will have difficulties "reading" it, I guess. It's like the articel says: much less a bibliographical docu then a filosophical inquiry. Indeed, we can't see from which films the images come from…

I first saw the docu when I just saw two of his films (La dolce Vita, 8 ½). But after having seen eight more, both Fellini's world and this documentary makes more and more sense!
Actually this docu is very much like Fellinis himself (which is a great thing when you know it!): fragmented and non-coherent at first sight, but it will make sense more and more…

But this docu is excellent in exploring Fellini's vision and ideas about the Artist, Creation, and so on! Great lines are spoken, much beautiful ideas mentioned!!

It begins great, with Fellini saying: "Every time I see one of my movies, Satyricon or Casanova for instance, I ask myself: "WHO made those films?"
It's like, when making the picture, someone takes over.."

BTW, Terrence Stamp was less "frustrated" than Sutherland. Both were talking interestingly about the man, but Stamp more "in wonder". Talking about "puppets, marionets in the hands of Fellini".
(Stamp, when he asks for directions (which he barely gets): "And he looked at me, as if I was a puppet coming to life")  :P
Great!
Seraphim's magic words:
Dutch
Dead Can Dance/ Cocteau Twins
Literature
European/ Art Cinema:
Tarkovsky, Bresson, Fellini, Angelopoulos

tpfkabi

all of you kids do know that La Strada is about to be released by Criterion, right?

just making sure.

8 1/2 is the only Fellini i've seen, i own the Criterion, and i love it.

about NetFlix......do all of the Criterion releases always have a long wait? how long for instance?......i would only do the whole NetFlix thing so i could rent Criterions, foreign films......so if they're hard to get, then it doesn't seem worth it to me
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

tpfkabi

do you work for NetFlix or something? i've asked the question about waiting before in the actual Netflix thread and got no reply.

someone please answer my question before i shell out 20 bucks a month.

godardian

You will experience waits on almost anything new with Netflix, but they're usually not unbearably long waits.

My favorite Fellinis: Nights of Cabiria and Amarcord.

I also really like Juliet of the Spirits; the liner notes of the Criterion DVD are intensely revealing and very interesting.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

tpfkabi

Quote from: godardianYou will experience waits on almost anything new with Netflix, but they're usually not unbearably long waits.

i meant more like Criterions / foreign films that have been out a while......like Band of Outsiders Criterion for instance......how long would you have to wait for that?