múm

Started by rustinglass, February 23, 2004, 03:12:32 PM

rustinglass

How do you like them?
I think they are one of the best bands making electronic music.
I was obcessed with them when I first heard "finally we are no one",  I loved how they tried to imitate the sound of the mountain wind, the sea, dripping water... combined the computer music with acoustic instruments, and their sweet voices! I never heard music like that before. Then I got their first album, kickass, then downloaded the "friends of the random summer" compilation, more kickass.
They are soon to release their third album "summer make good" and to make a european tour (I can't go to lisbon on that date, fuckdammit!).
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Sleuth

I've only heard a handful of random songs, but I really really liked the one called "Asleep on the Train"
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

Quote from: SloyjI've only heard a handful of random songs, but I really really liked the one called "Asleep on the Train"
'awake on the train' is even better.

i was gonna make this thread dammit. they're the best thing that ever happened to me since.. um, Selected Ambient Works vol II.

u can find their new album online, i posted the cover on Now Playing a week ago.. and i'm still playing it. way heavier than they're previous stuff. let's see, i saw them live last september and they were awesomely quiet, tho apparently they do occasionally rock harder as is evident in this pic..

best tracks from last 3 albums
- land between solar systems
- awake on a train
- now there's that fear again
- i can't feel my hand anymore, it's alright, sleep still
- weeping rock, rock
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Wait, they're Jewish?

Stefen

That girl in the first photo is kind of sexy, in a dumpy, trashy kind of way. I like. Does she sing? And yes, are they jewish?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

no they are not jewish. that star resembles the star of david but is just a random decoration at a thailand festival where they were rockin it.

kristin dresses trashy in that she often wears too much clothes, but is quite classy in her hotness. u may recognise her from  this Belle and Sebastian album (has been posted before)..

opposite her, twin sister Gyða left múm in 2002 to pursue studying sumsh*t.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

haha, wow you learn something new every day. I listened to some samples on amazon. Couldn't really get a feel for what they were trying to do. But definetely something new which I have been looking for. What are some suggestions of their stuff to start with if you are not familiar with them?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: StefenWhat are some suggestions of their stuff to start with if you are not familiar with them?
refer to my first post for individual tracks.

'Finally We Are No One' would be the best album for beginners.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

I listened to them a lot (for the first time) while editing my current film. But the CD was burned, so I don't know what album it was.

rustinglass

Quote from: P
u can find their new album online

where?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Pubrick

Quote from: rustinglasswhere?
with any good file sharing thing. go to www.slsk.org and see the world of tomoro.. today!
under the paving stones.

Sigur Rós

Hey, THEY ARE NOT JEWISH! THEY ARE FROM MY FUCKING ZONE ICELAND!!!

Sleuth

Quote from: P
Quote from: rustinglasswhere?
with any good file sharing thing. go to www.slsk.org and see the world of tomoro.. today!

actually, it's http://www.slsknet.org/ these days
I like to hug dogs

Stefen

I downloaded There Is A Small Number Of Things as well as Random Summer and  Awake On A Train. I liked it alot. So I went and bought Finally We Are No One and am very satisfied. It reminds me of childhood. It didn't even take awhile to get into it, it was instantaneous, great stuff. Thanks all.

Rudie Obias

mum is great!  their music is so fuckin' brilliant!  i just their music in my first 2 short films.  i love them and i love you for mentioning them.  :)
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff