What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: rené on December 03, 2005, 01:28:14 PM
As far as the soundtrack goes, well, it fits the mood to a T, to me.
You can preview three of the tracks on the author's site:
Doot Doot Garden
oh yeah i can see that working. too late now i finished it yesterday. amazing read, i second your recommendation to everyone.

it's weird, the weather right now is completely inappropriate, since basically the whole book is set in this snow-covered winter, i finished it on the hottest day of the year. :shock: i'm not even kidding, it was (as right now) at least 100° F. funny cos at one point craig's brother Phil cries in agony during a summer sequence about it being that hot. i was saddened by some developments later in the book, but ultimately it's a life affirming tale of faith and redemption, the kind i like!
under the paving stones.

kotte

The Road to Hell
The Ravaging Effects of Foreign Aid and International Charity

Fuck Save the Children!

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

Quote from: w a l r u $ on December 05, 2005, 01:15:59 PM

Awesome.  If you haven't read it, I strongly recommend "Under the Banner of Heaven" once you're finished.  You'll never look at Mormons the same way again.

As for me, I just started:

My house, my rules, my coffee

hedwig

Quote from: polkablues on December 05, 2005, 06:47:59 PM
I strongly recommend "Under the Banner of Heaven" once you're finished. You'll never look at Mormons the same way again.

ok, i'm sold.

hedwig

Find Your Magali

goddammit i want to read lunar park for these vacations but i can't get it over here. some one send it to me.

edit:
physically send it to me
context, context, context.

The Perineum Falcon

It includes three other stories, three of which I'm too lazy to find out right now.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pubrick

Quote from: rené on December 13, 2005, 03:11:36 PM
It includes three other stories, three of which I'm too lazy to find out right now.
Lunch at Tiffany's
Dinner at Tiffany's
Get the Hell Out of Tiffany's
under the paving stones.

The Perineum Falcon

I guess it's not so important now, and perhaps no one really cares, but the other stories were:
House of Flowers
Diamond Guitar
A Christmas Memory

And I've since moved on:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

polkablues

Quote from: rené on December 21, 2005, 01:16:38 PM
And I've since moved on:
(Oliver Twist)

Oh, is it based on the movie?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Figure 8

I just started reading Last Exit to Brooklyn.  It's written really weird.  I'm not very far, though, so who knows what I'll end up thinking.

©brad