Albert Brooks

Started by modage, September 10, 2006, 11:42:24 AM

modage

i recently finished watching all of albert brooks movies as a writer/director.  well, i had seen some prior and organically decided to watch the remaining ones after i enjoyed each one as much as i did.  i would really strongly recommend the following three films to everyone.

they are hilarious.  i think brooks has been described as a west coast woody allen, which is probably a vague generalization that still gives you some idea of what to expect.  i'm sure somebody else can help me out here?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: modage on September 10, 2006, 11:42:24 AM
i'm sure somebody else can help me out here?
i dunno, you sound kinda doubtful.. if i had to guess i would say no, you're not sure.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Agreed with mod. Real Life was WAY ahead of its time in tackling the subject of Reality TV. Modern Romance is the best film to watch for those going through a break-up. And nothing beats the Nest Egg rant of Lost In America.

But I have a fondness for Mother since it reminds me of my own mom, especially the failure to work call-waiting and freezing everything.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 11, 2006, 02:11:19 AMAgreed with mod. Real Life was WAY ahead of its time in tackling the subject of Reality TV.

The camera-suit things were hilarious.

SiliasRuby

The Muse is great fun and hilarious but I need to see more.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

Quote from: SiliasRuby on September 12, 2006, 05:17:55 PM
The Muse is great fun and hilarious but I need to see more.
definitely do.  while The Muse and Looking For Comedy In The Muslim World and recent Brooks efforts have their moments, its really like comparing Scoop, Anything Else Woody Allen to Manhattan Annie Hall Woody Allen.  though Mother and Defending Your Life are also pretty good the three recommendations are pretty hilarious.  Kubrick reportedly called Modern Romance a "perfect film", but if I had to recommend only one, I'd say see Lost In America.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

soixante

Modern Romance is my favorite, followed by Real Life. 

Brooks is often compared to Allen because:

1) Both started out as standup comics.

2) Both write, direct and star in their own movies

3) Both have created screen personas that hew closely to their respective standup personas

4) Both portray insecure guys who have difficulty maintaining normal romantic relationships

5) Brooks often portrays guys who work in the entertainment industry, as does Allen.
Music is your best entertainment value.