Preston Sturges

Started by modage, August 08, 2003, 09:33:41 PM

modage

i thought there was already a thread for him, but i cant find it so i'm making one.  i just watched my first preston sturges movie tonite, Sullivan's Travels.  and i liked it quite a bit.  the lead Joel McCrea really reminded me of William Holden.  the story was interesting because it was about a director of comedies who wants to make a serious picture about the troubles of man.  but since he doesnt know anything about that, since he has always been spoiled and rich, he sets out to be a hobo on a journey across the country.  along the way he meets veronica lake and tons of wackiness ensues.  the first hour of the movie is hilarious.  

and then at about the one hour mark it gets kind of serious for about 20 minutes and turns into kind of a grapes of wrath type thing. which i'm not sure i liked, because i would have rather it stayed funny, and seen more with him and veronica lake.  however, in doing so, the movie becomes precisely what it set out to be.  and it works a little bit like 'adaptation' in the way that, the director who wants to make a serious movie realizes that troubled people dont want to see that, they want to see comedies.  in the same way, that i the viewer, in watching the movie realize that same thing.  so it was actually very clever in that way.  and i think i will have to buy this now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

If you enjoyed "Sullivan's Travels," definitely pick up the Criterion disc. There's really nothing more to add. You hit the nail on the head about what the film is all about, modernage. You should also check out Sturges's "The Lady Eve" too.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I liked Sullivan's Travels a lot.  The ironic turn of the film into seriousness was pretty sophisticated for it's time.  Sturges had a cameo as a movie director.  The DVD features a PBS documentary on his life, among other extras.

Official Website

Teen Wolf

Pauline Kael said in I Lost It At The Movies that Preston Sturges re-invented film comedy in the 40s with his "verbal slapstick." If you think about it, there's nobody really working in film today that does that. Most of the verbal slapstick we see (hear) is on television shows, or movies such as Down With Love that are throwbacks to that era. The Coen Bros. may be an exception.

Teen Wolf

Uh, disregard what I said about Down With Love in the above post.

ono

I watched the first half of Sullivan's Travels in a screenwriting class yesterday.  So I can only write half of a po...

godardian

Christmas in July is superb.

I love the two that Criterion has put out, as well.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

i wonder why there are only 3 movies of his on dvd.  i'm seriously considering going out to rent some tapes because i really loved sullivans travels (and have since bought that and lady eve).  i'll take cinephile and godardians suggestions for what to see first.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

for anyone else intersted Turner Classic Movies is showing 2 Sturges films not on DVD (since almost none are), since i am.

Miracle of Morgan's Creek, The / 1944

CAST: Eddie Bracken, Betty Hutton, William Demarest.

During World War II, a 4F tries to help the woman he loves cover up a surprise pregnancy. BW 98m. CC  

Comedy. D: Preston Sturges.  

PLAYING ON TCM: 01/11/2005 03:15 AM  

PLAYING ON TCM: 02/14/2005 04:30 PM      

PLAYING ON TCM: 03/06/2005 06:00 PM      

PLAYING ON TCM: 03/05/2005 08:00 PM      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Palm Beach Story, The / 1942

CAST: Claudette Colbert, Joel McCrea, Mary Astor.

To finance her husband's career, a married woman courts an eccentric millionaire. BW 88m. CC  

PLAYING ON TCM: 01/11/2005 02:30 PM  

PLAYING ON TCM: 03/21/2005 08:00 PM        

PLAYING ON TCM: 01/16/2005 01:30 AM      

krakpot

I loved Barbra Stanwyck in Lady Eve. She is simply amazing in this film and beautiful. But, I must say I didn't care for Henry Fonda's character in this film. I don't think it was his fault why I didn't like it either. I just think the film had a poor script.

Spoiler:

I mean how could you not know that Jean and Lady Eve are the same person? Surely Fonda slept with her both times. I don't know I guess that I just found it to be contrived in a sense with the screen play. His character was idoitic, heartless, and mean. If I was fucking/dating him I would surely pull the same "gag" that Stanwyck pulls.

End Spolier:

Did I miss the point of the film? Am I dumb for not liking this?

But, it certainly was funny. It is a great fun comedy, but not a great film, (I'm not implying comedies are not good films - so don't think that kids). This film didn't impress me. I want to see Sullivan's Travels though and many other Sturges films.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02for anyone else intersted Turner Classic Movies is showing 2 Sturges films not on DVD (since almost none are), since i am.

Miracle of Morgan's Creek, The / 1944

CAST: Eddie Bracken, Betty Hutton, William Demarest.

During World War II, a 4F tries to help the woman he loves cover up a surprise pregnancy. BW 98m. CC  

PLAYING ON TCM: 01/11/2005 03:15 AM  

PLAYING ON TCM: 02/14/2005 04:30 PM      

PLAYING ON TCM: 03/06/2005 06:00 PM      

PLAYING ON TCM: 03/05/2005 08:00 PM      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Palm Beach Story, The / 1942

CAST: Claudette Colbert, Joel McCrea, Mary Astor.

To finance her husband's career, a married woman courts an eccentric millionaire. BW 88m. CC  

PLAYING ON TCM: 01/11/2005 02:30 PM  

PLAYING ON TCM: 03/21/2005 08:00 PM        

PLAYING ON TCM: 01/16/2005 01:30 AM      

Thanks for the info, mod!  I've been trying to get a friend of mine to see Miracle of Morgan's Creek for forever and I never remember to check TCM for it.  

The only Sturges films I've seen besides this are Sullivan's Travels and The Lady Eve but this one is my favorite.  I'm still stunned that it was actually made, given the puritanical stance on unwed mothers at the time.

modage

so i watched and liked both films on TCM recently.  apparently Palm Beach Story is coming out on dvd soon as well, which is good as i liked that one better of the two.  sturges is just so fast with his dialogue, what i appreciate about his style is that where a movie like His Girl Friday which is famous for having made this screwball style popular was mainly between the leads: Grant and Russell, Sturges populates his movies with many supporting characters who all get in on the action.  much like the coen bros., even the bit parts get some great dialogue and even physical bits making the films rich with comedy.  good stuff.  i want more.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02apparently Palm Beach Story is coming out on dvd soon as well, which is good as i liked that one better of the two.

it just came out.

modage

Gold Trumpet