Califone

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, November 11, 2004, 10:07:16 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Good band...very mellow, here's a little on them to interest you if you haven't heard about them...

http://www.splendidezine.com/review.html?reviewid=1078226799439663

Let's say I told you that Califone's Tim Rutili has had a recurring dream since his youth, involving a giant man-bird creature, and then he discovered that the creature was actually a representation of an ancient Druid god called the heron king, which the British feared so deeply that they fled the battlefield when an effigy of the heron king was hoisted above the heads of the opposing army, and that Rutili realized that he had somehow been manifesting an image of this long-dead god figure in his head since he was a child. Now suppose he goes and corrals his band, Califone, into basing an entire album around it. What do you suppose that album might sound like?

Yeah, me neither.

Anyone else a fan?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

i saw them open for wilco a few years ago.  i cant remember much about them, except wilco has always had some weird ass opening acts.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: themodernage02weird ass

Definitely a good way to put it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

homesick alien

I adore this band. I think they're much better than Wilco to be honest, and though lyrically abstract, I feel a real personal attachment to the words and the sounds that swell and pulsate around them. I can only describe them as fearlessly subtle.

I Love a Magician

absolutely fuckin great band. in the animal collective thread i said that 'feels' always reminds me of towns and places i've been; califone does that but instead of places, the music and words remind me of emotions and things i've felt in my life. this is probably ridiculous sounding, but califone makes me feel like i'm five feet under water watching a TV just above the surface playing my home movies. i can't make most of it out but sometimes i'll see and image clear as day and it crushes me.

homesick alien

that's actually very well said. they're more of a mode of perception than a band in a way.

Reinhold

califone is probably my favorite band still making music today. i adore deceleration one and roots & crowns, but as far as i'm concerned they do no wrong. for that matter, neither did Red Red Meat and now they just sound much better with the more experimental approach.

i don't know if there are any other chicago xixaxers, but you never know who's liable to be lurking. there's a free show in the afternoon of august 11th in millennium park.

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.