Don Cheadle??

Started by kassius, January 06, 2004, 09:47:00 PM

kassius

I read somewhere that Paul wanted Samuel L. Jackson to play "Buck" in "Boogie Nights" but he got the script and just... didn't get it?

Well, this had me thinking... is Paul making it his mission to put all his stars in every one of his movies? And if so... why isn't Don Cheadle included? Don't get me wrong... out of the whole bunch he is the WORST actor (still good) but I don't see why he couldn't play Orlando Jones' role.

ono

Quote from: ckad79I read somewhere that Paul wanted Samuel L. Jackson to play "Buck" in "Boogie Nights" but he got the script and just... didn't get it?
Interesting.

Quote from: ckad79Well, this had me thinking... is Paul making it his mission to put all his stars in every one of his movies?
No.  The only one who has been is Philip Seymour Hoffman.  PTA and John C. Reilly were considering JCR's being in Punch-Drunk Love, but Reilly was incredibly active at the time (Chicago, Gangs of New York, The Hours) and they ultimately decided it wasn't good for him.  PTA loves his actors, he says, but I doubt he's too insistent on making all of them part of every film.

Quote from: ckad79And if so... why isn't Don Cheadle included?
Who knows?  He was perfect as Buck, but I can't imagine any other role he'd be good for.  Maybe Worm?  Nah, Orlando Jones's back was brilliant enough.  Hehe.

Duck Sauce

I love Don Cheadle, he deserves more roles.

His NFL spots are great

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Duck SauceI love Don Cheadle, he deserves more roles.

His NFL spots are great

i agree...

Stefen

Quote from: ckad79I read somewhere that Paul wanted Samuel L. Jackson to play "Buck" in "Boogie Nights" but he got the script and just... didn't get it?

Yeah, he said that on the directors commentary on BN. I can't imagine seeing Sam Jackson in the buck role, at least not the way Cheadle played him, but it probably would have been worlds different.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Link

Jackson was probably too afraid of not looking cool.

That annoys me, that he's in Star Wars, it's his dream, Lucas grants it, then he's like, "Well, I'm not gonna go out like a punk!"  Geez, you'll go out like a punk if he wants you to!  Sadly, Lucas gave in again.

But that's another topic for another thread for another forum for another time (I'm at work).

phil marlowe

he hasn't done that many good movies, nor is he very important or anything, but yet he's one of my favorite actors. there's just something about him, i dunno. maybe it's that huge cock of his.

thedog

When I first heard about Sam Jackson turning down Buck, my first reaction was "good thing!". But now I can kind of see what PTA was getting at. I think it could have been one of Sam's best roles. I think PTA was looking for Sam Jackson to play a more human version of Jules from Pulp Fiction.

I can definitely see Sam Jackson doing it when we first meet Buck. Infact, I think it would have made that joke (the "you think he's into cool soul music but it turns out he's into country music" joke) a bit funnier. Just imagine, you are talking to Jules, he's talking about sound systems and the reasons he liked this particular model, with that deep soulful voice of his. And then he says "lets take it for a test drive", and the howdown music breaks in and he start hootin' and hollerin'. I think that would have been hilarious. But with Don Cheadle doing it, it seems a little more believable for him to be into country music, so it makes it a little less funnier. Because Don Cheadle doesn't have that gritty, been-around-the-block look.

Actually now that I think of it, as much as I love Don Cheadle, I think Sam would have been a little better for the part. Don't get me wrong, I love Don. I masturbate while thinking of him, like, a lot. But I really wish Sam took the part.

StacksEdwards

My opinion is Don Cheadle is a great actor, especially in this movie.  It is his best performace and one of my favorites in the whole movie.   Sam Jackson just wouldn't have been the same.

Also, on the Boognie Nights DVD, it sounds like Don Cheadle was very skeptikal of PTA's directing skills.  It was Julianne Moore who reassured him.

I would love to see these two work together again in whatever PTA does next.
"The Book says, we may be through with the past, bit the past ain't through with us."

--Jimmy Gator, Magnolia

kotte

One thing I never really figured out. On the commentary Don talks about how they could see the camera reflect on the windows and who crazy PTA was for saying it didn't matter.

Do you know what this was all about? Since when is it a good thing to have the camera in the shot?

Stefen

Quote from: kotteOne thing I never really figured out. On the commentary Don talks about how they could see the camera reflect on the windows and who crazy PTA was for saying it didn't matter.

Do you know what this was all about? Since when is it a good thing to have the camera in the shot?

Yeah he said something to the effect of "Does this kid know what he is doing" it was weird to me also. And I always look for the camera in that scene. Robert Elswit probably fixed it since that dumb kid didn't know what he was doing.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

kotte

Quote from: Stefen
Quote from: kotteOne thing I never really figured out. On the commentary Don talks about how they could see the camera reflect on the windows and who crazy PTA was for saying it didn't matter.

Yeah he said something to the effect of "Does this kid know what he is doing" it was weird to me also. And I always look for the camera in that scene. Robert Elswit probably fixed it since that dumb kid didn't know what he was doing.

It felt like he did know what he was doing but Don just didn't get it...I don't know.

zerocool41

Could cheadle have pulled off a better bad guy than sam jackson did in Sydney?
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

kotte

Quote from: zerocool41Could cheadle have pulled off a better bad guy than sam jackson did in Sydney?

I don't think so.

Jackson is the original bad motherfucker.

Pubrick

Quote from: kotteJackson is the original bad motherfucker.
unfortunately that's all he can be now.
under the paving stones.