Ed norton

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, March 31, 2003, 07:45:00 PM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: picolasI've always thought this. I'd always liked norton, and then all these magazines came out and said "he's the actor of our generation." I was just like, what? where the hell did that notion come from?

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS ALL I WAS TRYING TO SAY

Sleuth

Who would you say is the real owner of that title
I like to hug dogs

well i guess we would have to go into the 90's since that was his era more or less.

i think that sam jackson was the best actor of the 90's, ok he and ed norton are years apart, I am talking about the era.

John Turturro, can play the fuck out of all sorts of things and be world apart each time .

i think gary oldman like i said in a earlier post, is around the top of my list, i just think he needs to pick better films.

he needs that one film, i would love to see him in something like monsters ball . Or a far from heaven type role, rather then his part in hannibal

budgie

Quote from: Butterscotch Jones

what you are saying is that he is a good actor, thats what i said but i do not think he is " greatness"

What I am saying is that greatness is a matter of opinion. I think he's great.

Quotegreatness, is becomeing your part each and every time, being able to play a cute dad one minute then a blood thirsty bastard the next

Cute = Keeping the Faith   Blood thirsty = Am History X?

Or, as I said, Primal Fear for both in one movie. Or Fight Club for both in one movie. Or 25th Hour for suggesting immorality and appeal in one character.

Quoteevery time i see ed norton in a movie, i see ed norton, kinda almost one noteish He looks and acts the same in almost every part

Then that's what you see.

Quotethe same cant be said of sam jackson, sam jackson can fucking be mace windu and he can be desperate dad in changing lanes

Whatever

Quotesam jackson will go down in history as one of the best actors to ever live, and why ? because he earned it.

When is the Butterscotch Jones History of the Cinema coming out?

Quoteok here is another example of greatness sandler on the phone with his sister in pdl, the scene when he was trying to get emily watsons info and she wouldnt give it to him.

pta wrote a great scene, but sandler is the one who took it and made it into something beyond beautiful .

Wrote and directed.

Quoteso yeah ed norton is good, but its high time we stop calling him one of the best actor of our times .

You are wrong.

Gee, haven't had this much fun since yesterday

you posted nothing to prove that i am wrong, just short pointless soundbites.

Never once going into detail as to why you feel what you feel .

but do not waste your time, i let this boat sail , and i do not really expect much from you on this, well based on your past few posts on this matter

budgie

well what do you expect.

you were dead wrong about everything, keeping the faith he was great in that ??? that was a fucking sitcom, it could of been paul reiser playing that part who would notice

and bloodthirsty in amer his x ????????????????? what , no i would say the character was misguided and brash , but bloodthirsthy ?????

no sometimes greatness is not just one persons opinion, for some its just a fact . you said you think he is great and then did nothing to prove why you think he is great, speak on it, show some passion if you have some

When is the Butterscotch Jones History of the Cinema coming out, your reading it baby .

call me a nut, but i think i need more then bullshit cliches like " he's cool" to sway me, i think you had a few good points about Garry oldman like his disdain and self destructive streak, but on ed norton your way off.

Cecil

i reeeeeeeeally dont understand this.... if you dont think hes a great actor, then you dont think hes a great actor. how can someome "convince" you that hes great?... youve seen the same films we have.... its just a matter of opinion.

the "3 actors who define their generation" thing is just marketing. who cares. yes it probably is an exaggerated comment. but if it is, i havent heard anyone else mention a better actor that deserves the title.... no its not the best actor of the 90s, sam jackson is too old. it needs to be someone in late 20s, early 30s

RegularKarate

I don't see how you could sit here flaming Ed Norton for being overrated when you're comparing him to Samuel Jackson... a good actor at best.

The main reason people like Sam Jackson is because he's "cool".  He doesn't have that much range, it's just varied degrees of emotion and attitude.

I'm not saying Norton IS the best actor of our generation, that's just like Cec said, shit the magazines make up.  I'm just wondering why you are saying Jackson is better when he's just someone people like because of a few of the characters he's played.

Sleuth

Is it true that for every Keeping the Faith, there's a Formula 51?
I like to hug dogs

Quote from: RegularKarateI don't see how you could sit here flaming Ed Norton for being overrated when you're comparing him to Samuel Jackson... a good actor at best.

The main reason people like Sam Jackson is because he's "cool".  He doesn't have that much range, it's just varied degrees of emotion and attitude.

I'm not saying Norton IS the best actor of our generation, that's just like Cec said, shit the magazines make up.  I'm just wondering why you are saying Jackson is better when he's just someone people like because of a few of the characters he's played.

what the fuck sam jackson has no range , its not like i ever respected your opinion but now all forget it. i will write a huge sam jackson peice later but for now your insane

soixante

Edward Norton is very versatile.  Compare the murder suspect he played in Primal Fear to the lawyer in People vs. Larry Flynt.  Totally different characters, and he nailed the nuances of both.

In American History X, he shows a great deal of range -- we see him as an angry white supremacist and we see him as a reformed, sadder but wiser ex-con trying to put his life back together.  We even see a flashback of him when he was a teenager, having dinner with his father, and we see the innocence that was lost soon thereafter.

He's able to master accents (Primal Fear), act like a mentally disabled person (The Score), play a Johnny Boy-type scuzzball (Rounders), play an Ivy League educated attorney (People vs. Larry Flynt), a bored yuppie (Fight Club).

Going back to American History X, his line deliveries convey disdain, concern, repentance, hatred, wisdom, anger, a whole gamut of emotions.  His facial expressions convey a wide palette of emotions.  Most of all, I get the feeling that there is an internal life going on in the characters Norton plays.  Even if he doesn't deliver a line, you can see the internal life in his eyes.
Music is your best entertainment value.

bonanzataz

i just saw part of death to smoochy. it wasn't the best movie i've ever seen but i got a COUPLE of chuckles out of it. why does it get such a bad rep? because it did poorly at the box office? anyway, norton cracked me up.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Sleuth

I thought Death to Smoochy was swell.  I don't know why it gets a bad rap
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

Quote from: Butterscotch Joneswhat the fuck sam jackson has no range , its not like i ever respected your opinion but now all forget it. i will write a huge sam jackson peice later but for now your insane

I didn't say he had NO range, just very little.

Seriously... I like Sam Jackson, I think there are roles he takes that no one else could fill... he's just not as good as some people build him up to be.