appleseed

Started by pete, May 24, 2005, 11:51:05 PM

pete

trailer here

just saw this from a chinatown bootleg, it's a cyberpunk sci-fi about an utopia where human and cyborgs co-exist and their distrust for each other (mostly human's gripes against the cyborgs) and a girl soldier's somehow entangled with all this and more.

I originally didn't really care to see it after watching the trailer because I was never too into sci-fi films in the first place, nevermind animated ones about cyborgs in the same year of Ghost in the Shell 2 and Bright Future (or whatever it's called here in the States), but then I saw that Sori (who directed PING PONG) produced it and Boom Boom Satellite did the music and read this interview.

it was really good.  the animation was a really really fluid mixture of 3d and 2d animation.  it's the best marriage I've seen of both so far.  the battles are really well-choreographed and the animators seem to have relied on motion capture a bunch, but they don't look clunky like in lesser animations or video games.  the story is okay, I'm not really into this genre of sci-fis that ask "big questions" about humanity and machinary or whatever, but man, the action and visuals were so detailed and so amazing.  a very fun movie.  the climax involves one of those multi-legged tanks last seen in The Incredibles, but imagine if there are like 8 of those things.  so cool.

EDIT: wait a minute, did both the DVD and the movie come out in the states already?  what the hell?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pwaybloe

Yeah, I actually saw this DVD in Wal-Mart.

Pubrick

blind buying the limited edition region 1.

is the version with commentary better?
under the paving stones.

pete

I have no clue, since I bought a bootlegged version instead.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton