Apocalypse Now

Started by El Duderino, March 31, 2004, 07:40:06 PM

godardian

Quote from: eward
Quote from: Dottie_HinkleMost of you seem like pretentious movie snobs but I still like to read your endless blabber.

i like spielberg, hate fight club, and think ali: fear eats the soul is an overrated bore (fassbinder i like, by the way, of what ive seen) - does that take me out of the snob circle?  :)

I've discarded the word "snob," along with my other forbidden words: Things like "weird," "alternative," "mainstream," etc... words that have lost their meaning through mis/over-use. Yes, one of my very favorite lines ever spoken on The Simpsons was, "Aren't 'paradigm' and 'proactive' just words dumb people use to make themselves sound important?" :)

Hating Fight Club is promising, though... so you're one out of three by my count.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: godardianHating Fight Club is promising, though... so you're one out of three by my count.
I didn't know you were anti-Fight Club!  :cry:

pete

I think even the whole "just an average guy" approach to watching movies has gotten to be pretentious now.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: peteI think even the whole "just an average guy" approach to watching movies has gotten to be pretentious now.
:yabbse-thumbup:

Example: Richard Roeper.

Sleuth

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: peteI think even the whole "just an average guy" approach to watching movies has gotten to be pretentious now.
:yabbse-thumbup:

Example: Richard Roeper.

hey godardian, please add pretentious to your list
I like to hug dogs

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: godardianHating Fight Club is promising, though... so you're one out of three by my count.
I didn't know you were anti-Fight Club!  :cry:

And I didn't know you were pro-    :!:   Let those who imagine JB and godardian always fall automatically in line with each other's opinions remember and cherish this moment.  :)

Fight Club and Moulin Rouge are two movies I strongly dislike that are embraced by many of those whose tastes I otherwise share.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gold Trumpet

I'll go prolly loner on this and say that Apocalypse Now is highly overrated. Loved the film in some respects, but the story of Sheen's character going from place to place, war zone after war zone, insanity after insanity, only seems to superficially really grab the terror he is talking about the entire time. As much as I cherish Robert Duvall, his character and purpose of his entire scene is a ploy to match the oddity of someone in love with war and surfing, nothing more. Same deal with the Playboy bunny scenes...to combine two things on the surface feel the most unlikely of partners. Then the rest of the scenes filter out into their own interest...unrelated to each other and only able to accomplish so much. For the best narrative, I think the film should have grappled one situation and explored that into what I think would have better conveyed a "heart of darkness". What Apocalypse Now does is just sketch with some interesting scenes without really matching them into a whole identity and yet the film seems to think it has one coherent, continually provactive, film. Too disjointed for me.

But, thats to speak on the negative parts of the film. Still a very rich experience of locale used with filmmaking to really grab the mood. I just think the story lacked.

GT, I remember you wrote this on the Cold Mountain thread.

QuoteGetting past the bland romance that suffocates the first half of the movie, I couldn't help but feel the second half (Law's odyssey home) was the dramatic equivalent of Apocalypse Now and how it tried to encapusalate every controversy of the Civil War, like Apocalypse Now did for Vietnam. Every stop by Sheen's boat in his journey to Kurtz wasn't just another stop, but a new avenue of perspective on the insanity of the Vietnam War and some large doses of symbolism in some very minor scenes. The heavy symbolism was the problem because many scenes seemed to hinder on just whether you got the implied meaning or not, cutting away from the flow of the journey and making the the scenes drag more after the first viewing.
context, context, context.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: cronopioGT, I remember you wrote this on the Cold Mountain thread.

QuoteGetting past the bland romance that suffocates the first half of the movie, I couldn't help but feel the second half (Law's odyssey home) was the dramatic equivalent of Apocalypse Now and how it tried to encapusalate every controversy of the Civil War, like Apocalypse Now did for Vietnam. Every stop by Sheen's boat in his journey to Kurtz wasn't just another stop, but a new avenue of perspective on the insanity of the Vietnam War and some large doses of symbolism in some very minor scenes. The heavy symbolism was the problem because many scenes seemed to hinder on just whether you got the implied meaning or not, cutting away from the flow of the journey and making the the scenes drag more after the first viewing.

I'm glad I reread that and still agreed and liked everything I said. I forgot to mention the superficial symbolism here, but thanks for resurfacing that!

rustinglass

I've just started reading "Heart of Darkness"
I love Apocalypse Now.... Both versions. I know some people that hate redux, I like it, the extra scenes are very good an dI'm glad that I saw them, specially the bunnys in the helicopter scene
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Dottie_HinkleThe movie bored me.  The shots were nice and the acting was first-rate but the story bored me.  I also hated Full Metal Jacket....  Give me Deer Hunter over both of them.  I'm also a die-hard DeNiro fan.

....... :bs: ......apocalypse now=boring???........like the valley girls say" what ev.".........i just don't see how its could be boring ..seriously....thats like saying black hawk down was boring and didn't have enough action in it...maybe i can vouch for an argument .by saying redux was a tad long...bu tnot boring.......(i  personnaly liked redux better).......but if you want to talk about a boring overated war film.....or something of the like..The Deer Hunter is boring ..you could skip a large chunk of the middle and certain parts at the begining and still get the point...the only scenes worth mentioning in TDH..would be war scenes and the infamous roulette......but thats it......

SHAFTR

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'll go prolly loner on this and say that Apocalypse Now is highly overrated. Loved the film in some respects, but the story of Sheen's character going from place to place, war zone after war zone, insanity after insanity, only seems to superficially really grab the terror he is talking about the entire time. As much as I cherish Robert Duvall, his character and purpose of his entire scene is a ploy to match the oddity of someone in love with war and surfing, nothing more. Same deal with the Playboy bunny scenes...to combine two things on the surface feel the most unlikely of partners. Then the rest of the scenes filter out into their own interest...unrelated to each other and only able to accomplish so much. For the best narrative, I think the film should have grappled one situation and explored that into what I think would have better conveyed a "heart of darkness". What Apocalypse Now does is just sketch with some interesting scenes without really matching them into a whole identity and yet the film seems to think it has one coherent, continually provactive, film. Too disjointed for me.

But, thats to speak on the negative parts of the film. Still a very rich experience of locale used with filmmaking to really grab the mood. I just think the story lacked.

I think this holds up for the Redux, but the orginal is much better, in my mind.  The original is about a "heart of darkness " and the redux is more about vietnam.  What I am saying is the redux comments more on the vietnam situation (with that French Plantation scene) and the result is a vietnam war film, when the film is much more than that.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SHAFTR

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: Dottie_HinkleThe movie bored me.  The shots were nice and the acting was first-rate but the story bored me.  I also hated Full Metal Jacket....  Give me Deer Hunter over both of them.  I'm also a die-hard DeNiro fan.

but if you want to talk about a boring overated war film.....or something of the like..The Deer Hunter is boring ..you could skip a large chunk of the middle and certain parts at the begining and still get the point...the only scenes worth mentioning in TDH..would be war scenes and the infamous roulette......but thats it......

Neon, we are in perfect agreement.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Dottie_Hinkle

Shouldn't the word superficial be added to the no no list?  

There have been times where I thought I might be wrong about a film.  A good example is The Usual Suspects.  I tried 3 times to watch that film but never got into it.  The fourth time I watched I loved it!  I've given AN many chances to interest me and it doesn't...the reason it's boring!  I've seen the film at least 6 times and I've read the screenplay twice.
Does Anyone Know Where I can get the soundtrack/score to BANANAS?

Pubrick

Quote from: Dottie_HinkleA good example is The Usual Suspects.
speaking of boring/empty/superficial/shit.

u must be from Bizarro world.
under the paving stones.