The Kubrick Canon (Top Ten)

Started by Myxo, June 20, 2003, 01:14:18 PM

jtm

the truth is Paths of Glory, Barry Lyndon, Lolita and Spartacus are the ones i don't own so they haven't had the benefit of repeat viewings.  maybe thing will change when i eventually pick them up... but as of now i stand by my list.

Pubrick

Quote from: Jay Tee Emwhat do u got against Clockwork Orange?
nothing.

it was my favorite too. when i was 15.
under the paving stones.

jtm

i just watched Eyes Wide Shut for the first time in about 2 years and it's moved up to #2.

cowboykurtis

agreed on Barry Lyndon

im going to go try taping my television for 1.85
...your excuses are your own...

Jeremy Blackman

Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
Barry Lyndon
Dr. Strangelove
The Shining
Paths of Glory
A Clockwork Orange
Lolita
The Killing

modage

in no particular order...

Barry Lyndon
Dr. Strangelove
Eyes Wide Shut
A Clockwork Orange
The Killing
Lolita
Paths of Glory
Full Metal Jacket
The Shining
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

Quote from: themodernage02in no particular order...
so you're saying there are three Kubrick movies you don't like as much as those ten.

modage

yeah i was kidding.  because lists werent being numbered it almost seemed like that.  i hate barry lyndon.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

socketlevel

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. The Shining
3. Dr. Strangelove
4. Full Metal Jacket
5. Lolita
6. Eyes Wide Shut
7. Paths of Glory
8. Barry Lyndon
9. Spartacus
10. Clockwork Orange

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

cowboykurtis

Quote from: themodernage02i hate barry lyndon.

i find barry lyndon to be one of Kubricks most engaging and captivating films - what didn't you like about it?

i remember you had mentioned at one point that it was slow - i find it very similar in pacing to all his films.
...your excuses are your own...

modage

i only watched it once, but yeah.  i just wasnt drawn into the story at all.  like i mentioned, i think i have a strong dislike for movies about people in white wigs.  i'll probably give it another shot someday since its in the collection, though.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

ShanghaiOrange

I don't know if someone else has already mentioned this, and yes I realize this thread is hella old, but in the Kubrick Archive it says that he composed for 1:1.33 for his later films. So there's that.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Pubrick

Quote from: ShanghaiOrange on March 14, 2006, 08:11:49 PM
I don't know if someone else has already mentioned this, and yes I realize this thread is hella old, but in the Kubrick Archive it says that he composed for 1:1.33 for his later films. So there's that.
yes, this has been mentioned many times before. but just as often no one seems to notice it being said. so here's to another many times of it being said, so that maybe one day ppl will read it.
under the paving stones.

ShanghaiOrange

Quote from: Pubrick on March 15, 2006, 02:55:55 AM
Quote from: ShanghaiOrange on March 14, 2006, 08:11:49 PM
yes, this has been mentioned many times before. but just as often no one seems to notice it being said. so here's to another many times of it being said, so that maybe one day ppl will read it.

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***