..______________=Geek/loser/cryo-chamber......

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 18, 2003, 10:33:14 PM

NEON MERCURY

..this just me asking the board..what is the most geeked out franchise(in terms of fans and the films themselves)... between these three films(matrix troligy, LOTR trilogy, star wars trilogy)....
(remeber i like the matrix trilogy ..Im just pointing out the geek aspects of it ..possible and or true life...aspects.)

My choice-...The Matrix...trilogy.
AND HERE ARE THE REASON S WHY IT IS THE MOST GEEKED OUT FRANCHISE....
-people dressing up like Neo and various characters from the film ..w/ all the accessories..like sunglasses and sh*t..

-quote all of the fake cheesed out wannabe philospohical talk that the characters do in these films..and blend in your own when talking to friends.

-grabbing a laptop and dressin like neo and walking around town w/it and when people ask what your doing you reply."whoa!!, im hacking into the matrix"..

-countless and meaningless queries into the matrix 'theology' trying to get the true meanings of the matrix ..but blinded to see and know that the latter films were concocted up just to make $$$$$$$$$$..

-choerograph your own fight scenes w/ a matrix touch to it....and send them into neo asking him if your worthy enough to join the rest of the gang
on board the nebakenezrah....

-you now listen to techno b/c of three  matrix films..

-practice your bullet time menuvers trying to avoid punches....

-you are still loooking for the woman in the red dress...

-keep telling the cops that the machines are after us and everyone must evacuate to zion.....

-if you thought morpheous' speech in zion was 'the most important/historical speech ever recorded in history'...

-whenever the rave scene in zion happens you get up of your couch and dance along with them to share and combine energy...

-you spend countless hours trying to bend a spoon.w/your mind..

-...using food coloring to color your flintstone vitamins red and blue and give them to your friends and see which one they take in order to find out if they are on your side....

-now that the trilogy has ended you handwrite your script for another matrix film

-you search the grocery store for some of the 'oracles cookies'....

-when asked a question or if someone asks you a questions you use the word"choice" in your response.

-jumping up and down to see if you can fly like neo....

-if you witness someone having a stroke on the street you scream for neo to come flying to the rescue and have hime stick his hand inside the person's body to 'jumpstart' the heart..

-you write out a whole serires of films based on subplots and subcharacters in the films..(i.e. cyphers's journeys..or the 'tank' brothers.)

-if you meet a woman that has a rabbit tatoo you follow her everywhere...

picolas

meatball

cryo chamber?

i don't care what's geeked-out or not...

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: picolasdid you exist when Episode 1 came out?

..hahaha good point... 8)

SHAFTR

Definitely Star Wars, considering I am one of the geeks.

The franchise is 25 years old and still going strong.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

yep, Star Wars

those guys can get downright nasty when you're negative about their beloved franchise...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

Quote from: SoNowThenyep, Star Wars

those guys can get downright nasty when you're negative about their beloved franchise...

It is sad to accept the fact that the prequels are so bad.

It is even sadder to admit I saw both on opening night (along with seeing Ep 2 three times) and that I will see Episode 3 opening night.  

I am saddest to admit I own both on DVD and will own Episode 3 as well.

SoNowThen

I saw EP1, and while I wouldn't say it was great, I wouldn't call it terrible. The only thing I was really pissed about was the fact that they kinda pussy-fied it. Very PG. All these new ones need is a little rougher edge, a la Empire Strikes Back.

Also, I'm in love with Natalie Portman.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Star Wars, absolutely.

Because it has by far the biggest disconnect between the obsession and fanaticism and what's actually there (three dumpy little unimaginative, ugly, badly acted films from the seventies, and two- soon to be three- video games masquerading as films in the present).

I have a hard time deciding who I hate more: George Lucas or Steven Spielberg.

Compared to Star Wars, Matrix is very good and LOTR is like, Citizen Kane.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SHAFTR

Quote from: godardianStar Wars, absolutely.

Because it has by far the biggest disconnect between the obsession and fanaticism and what's actually there (three dumpy little unimaginative, ugly, badly acted films from the seventies, and two- soon to be three- video games masquerading as films in the present).

I don't think it's fair to call the films unimaginative, ugly or even little.

godardian

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: godardianStar Wars, absolutely.

I don't think it's fair to call the films unimaginative, ugly or even little.

I'm sorry, but that's my honest opinion. I think they're shockingly bad, considering the devotion so many people have to them. The personal nature of that devotion leads me to believe it's more of a childhood-nostalgia thing than a cinema thing. Which is fine- just don't try to convince me they're good movies!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

classical gas

Quote from: godardian

Lucas for sure.  Spielberg isn't too bad really.

godardian

Quote from: classical gas
Quote from: godardian

Lucas for sure.  Spielberg isn't too bad really.

As far as the films, that's true. But Spielberg may have caused more damage because he has so much more influence and approbation. Nobody's very mistakenly calling Lucas "the best living filmmaker," as the ignoble A.O. Scott did Spielberg not too long ago.

aclockworkjj

I hate Lucus...if you can't see it, he is single handedly going to change cinema forever.  If you think that his lame digital projection idea is that for off...well, I only hope you mange to salvage a projector when they all are tossed.  Not to say film won't be shot, but the way it's presented WILL be changed in a matter of time.  And I feel it's Lucus that is making the biggest push.  I didn't always think this until I went to some of these ridiculous mega-plexes.  They  suck...I want my one theater classy joint back.  The marquee should not be mistaken for a short story versus a sentence.  All in the name of money...  

Therefore, I hate him.

travisbickle1000

Quotecountless and meaningless queries into the matrix 'theology' trying to get the true meanings of the matrix ..but blinded to see and know that the latter films were concocted up just to make $$$$$$$$$$..

i hate to break it to you, but so was the first one (only less obviously). the matrix from the beginning has existed as nothing more than a catalyst for some cool action scenes. theres nothing wrong with that, but if you want action watch the matrix, if you want philosophy, read thoreau