Respect

Started by MacGuffin, October 25, 2003, 01:33:49 AM

Find Your Magali

Quote from: ebeamanI'm not saying that I expect everybody here to be ugly, there probably are some really good looking people here but I never expect that, I definitely don't expect any George Clooney's or Audrey Tautou's.

I agree with your point, in general. But it's funny that you mention that, because some people DO occasionally tell me that I remind them a little bit of "that guy from ER."

I think that's a bit of a stretch, but I guess it's just something that I have to live with. Here's a picture of me that my sister took this summer, so you can judge for yourself what kind of person sits in front of a computer and makes posts all day...

cine

Wow... you're not so modest when you name your pictures, are you?

Vile5

Thanks again Mac for decide to make a topic about it, and it's great to know most of you guys are that clever to say "sorry", i'm sure many of you had no idea how offensive some of your posts were, well maybe things are clearer for all of us now.
I really enjoy this site, and i love lots of your jokes, but we must never NEVER forget a little word what, in my opinion, is vital: RESPECT, i like jokes, i like sarcasm, i love Xixax, but pleaseeee don't forget respect, and not just to women, i'm talking about respect for everyone here...
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Pas

Treating women differently than men is sexism. Thus I will not take part in this new "respect the chick" thing. You sexists.

godardian

Quote from: Pas RapportTreating women differently than men is sexism. .

If you'll read the posts, you'll see that that's exactly the issue: Women have been treated very differently than the men here. People are asking for respect for all, and MacGuffin pointed out the very obvious fact that there's been more disrespect towards women here than there has been towards men.

As soon as people start posting nearly-naked pictures of guys and obsessing over their pecs and asses, you'll have a point; only then would the males and females here be treated to the same sort of disrespect. As it stands, one group has been treated differently and with less respect. I don't know what you're talking about on this issue. You should read the posts before knee-jerk responding.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pas

Quote from: godardian

If you'll read the posts, you'll see that that's exactly the issue: Women have been treated very differently than the men here. People are asking for respect for all, and MacGuffin pointed out the very obvious fact that there's been more disrespect towards women here than there has been towards men.

As soon as people start posting nearly-naked pictures of guys and obsessing over their pecs and asses, you'll have a point; only then would the males and females here be treated to the same sort of disrespect. As it stands, one group has been treated differently and with less respect. I don't know what you're talking about on this issue. You should read the posts before knee-jerk responding.

Oh sorry, I was just being sarcastic but I know it's hard to see that on the internet. I should just stop that. But as far as respect goes, I think a lot more men have been mistreated here than women, but it all depends on what your definition of mistreating is. Saying "I like big boobies" seems much less offensive to me than "You're a stupid asshole ACJJ". Anyway, I don't want to debate.

I love you girls ! :kiss:

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Whoa whoa!

Girls post here?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

godardian

Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: godardian

Oh sorry, I was just being sarcastic but I know it's hard to see that on the internet. I should just stop that. But as far as respect goes, I think a lot more men have been mistreated here than women, but it all depends on what your definition of mistreating is. Saying "I like big boobies" seems much less offensive to me than "You're a stupid asshole ACJJ". Anyway, I don't want to debate.

I love you girls ! :kiss:

Oh... yes, I did miss the sarcasm. Sorry... seems to be a somewhat serious issue.

Of course, a general expression of sexual... something is less offensive than name-calling and direct insults. But it still lowers the discourse, plus, in the example you used ("big boobies") it singles out one group (females) for objectification. Now, objectification has its place, but I'd say it's between two (or more) consenting adults, (usually) in private, not splattered all over a message board that's supposed to be for film discussion.

One of my first frustrations with this board was the fact that it seemed to be a bunch of straight guys using this high-fiving, feverish, sometimes almost group-masturbatory language about the female anatomy, and you just know that if I were to indulge in the same practice, being a guy but finding other guys attractive, it would be shocking and cause a great deal of consternation and discomfort; a double standard if there eve was one. Maybe the turnabout would be less shocking if a girl were to do it, but that would still probably make many uncomfortable.

I'd say that an atmosphere where we try not to express our sexuality so explicitly is probably more healthy for a message board of this type. I know there are tons of message boards where things like boobies are discussed, and that would seem to be the more appropriate place for it.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

BonBon85

I'd just like to say that I don't think my opinions regarding film have ever been dismissed solely on the basis of my gender. If people here disagree with me they base it on my words and don't "blame" it on gender, and I appreciate that. I will admit that I find "big boobies" talk a tad annoying, but I associate that with the individuals who make such posts and don't hold it against all male members of the board.

Alethia

i dont think ive said anything offensive, but if i have, i apologize.

godardian

I should also say that I think the huge majority of what Macguffin was talking about was just thoughtlessness; I don't think most people here are really misogynistic, rude, or out to get anyone. I think this thread is just about trying to be a little more thoughtful about some things. I like the liveliness here, but if the things that inspired this thread were to stop, I wouldn't find it any less lively. There are still a million arguments to be had about Radiohead, for instance...  :lol:

Xixax

Quote from: godardianThere are still a million arguments to be had about Radiohead, for instance...  :lol:
Yeah, boy do they ever suck balls, huh?

(Michael ducks)
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Ernie

Quote from: Find Your Magali
Quote from: ebeamanI'm not saying that I expect everybody here to be ugly, there probably are some really good looking people here but I never expect that, I definitely don't expect any George Clooney's or Audrey Tautou's.

I agree with your point, in general. But it's funny that you mention that, because some people DO occasionally tell me that I remind them a little bit of "that guy from ER."

I think that's a bit of a stretch, but I guess it's just something that I have to live with. Here's a picture of me that my sister took this summer, so you can judge for yourself what kind of person sits in front of a computer and makes posts all day...

Absolutely, it's not surprising. It doesn't surprise me. The internet is very widely used now, there's bound to be some good looking people hanging out, God Damn I'm The Man looks like a backstreet boy. Nobody said film geeks can't be good looking, just look at Harry Knowles. Somebody post a picture of Knowles.

godardian

Quote from: ebeamanJust look at Harry Knowles.

Um, no thanks.

Though I'd rather look at 'im than read 'im.  :?

Ernie

Quote from: godardianThough I'd rather look at 'im than read 'im.  :?

Ha! Agreed. I just had this great quote from this recent article Hollywood Bitchslap roasted him in. They pretty much analyzed how much and why he sucks. I should have written it down, it was brilliant.  It's a coincidence too, the quote was specifically about how vulgar he can be when writing about women he has no chance with. It would have tied in perfectly with this thread. I was going to make it my sig too, wish I could remember it. I'm sure it's still up on the site, check it out. It's so truthful.