cigs & redvines possible interview

Started by modage, September 03, 2012, 06:43:40 PM

Brando

I would be interested in hearing more about how he uses his influences from writers and novels. Maybe it's just fan boy obsession blowing up the importance of what he reads to influence a film but I always found it interesting that he's influenced by books that he reads as much as other films. Does it only influence him only in his writing, plotting out the story, theme and characters or does it influence the film visually at all?
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Sleepless

What is his favorite book?

Any particular goals/ambitions in terms of projects (or something completely else) that he would like to achieve at some point in the future?

How has the experience of getting financing for The Master/Inherent Vice affected his approach to the movie-making business at all, and what are his thoughts regarding a creative's challenges within the contemporary industry?

Would he ever write/direct an episode of Maya's sit-com?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

cinemanarchist

Does he see himself continuing to shoot on film as long as he can?

What was the genesis for the screenings in SF, LA, and NYC? Were they all his idea? Did he have a good time screening the film in this slightly unusual manner?

What was the last movie he saw in a theater and how often does he actually go out to movies?

Does he plan on recording a director's commentary for The Master or any of his upcoming films? He seemed to really enjoy the ones he did for Boogie and Hard Eight, does he not see the use in them anymore or are there other reasons he stopped recording them? I know some films you want to speak solely on their own, but weighing that with the lessons you can share with future filmmakers is a conversation worth having.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

ElPandaRoyal

Are we ever going to see David Lynch's son's making of There Will Be Blood? Is there any possibility of that at all?

For those of us who can't see The Master in the intended format, how does he recommend us seeing it? Is 35MM the more correct way?

Hhhmmmm... I can't think of anything else I'd really like to know except more random questions like is he only going to make Inherent Vice with Downey? Is his father going to be in it? Does he agree with the Tarantino comparisons stating they're the De Palma/Scorsese/Brando/Montgomery Cliff of today?
Si

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

Do you still feel that, for better or worse, Magnolia will be the best film you ever make?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

jumjum

I would like to hear an updated answer to this question:

How does he feel about digital cameras and projections today?
Is 70mm film a way to compete with digital?

Sleepless

Ask about his involvement in the marketing of the movies. We all know he's very involved, but to what extent?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 04, 2012, 04:08:52 PM
Quote from: Reelist on September 04, 2012, 08:36:31 AM
Quote from: MacGuffin on September 03, 2012, 10:43:47 PM
Ask him how many bears he has drunk.

I got your answer:

Then ask him, left nut or right arm?

As of today, this is my favorite thread...   

Questions for PTA:

- What books is he reading at the moment?

- Seeing as Joaquin stayed in character throughout the whole shoot, How hard was it to Direct him?

- Will he ever get a twitter?

- Will he ever work with Mark Walhberg again?

and the most important one of all...

DOES HE WATCH BREAKING BAD?
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

RegularKarate

He seems to have abandoned needle-drops for his last couple movies, but if he were going to drop a song or two into TWBB or The Master, what would they have been?

I am Schmi

Some pretty interesting questions here. I especially like Brando's and Sleepless' (last) questions. I only have one question:

-Aside from Cigarettes and Coffee, did he ever submit other short films into festivals and get rejected?-

I know that the answer is probably no, however I'd like to know for good. Thanks, Mod.

md

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on September 03, 2012, 08:59:40 PM
1 - Ask him if he knows about this place....

If he says "yes", ask him how creeped out he is by it? 

Yes.  Alot.
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

InTylerWeTrust

^

I don't even wanna know what that is....

Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Brando

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on September 04, 2012, 08:20:46 PM
^

I don't even wanna know what that is....

edit: removed unnecessary quote

It means he does know about this place but only reads the Breaking Bad board.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

md

good...you're too young to understand but some day you'll understand...now run along lil one.
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche