Dario Argento

Started by MacGuffin, October 20, 2006, 01:05:49 PM

polkablues

Ugh.  The only good thing Dario Argento ever made was Asia Argento.  And even that one comes with some serious caveats.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Didn't he write Once Upon A Time in the West?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

He shares a story credit with Leone and Bernardo Bertolucci, but he didn't write the actual screenplay.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ElPandaRoyal

Argento is one of those guys that, to me, can make a very enjoyable film out of very little. "Giallo" being another example: lame story, ruined by the producers, that somehow survives because of the director's talent with visuals and eye for disturbing violence. True, his movies are trashy most of the time, but also visually great and always fun to me. I'd like to place him along the lines of Brian de Palma or M. Night Shyamalan as unappreciated and very talented directors working today, all of them having more talent than a lot of the people that are so over appreciated by critics (and xixaxers alike). I'd rewatch the dumbness of "Giallo" faster than the supposedly complexity of "Inception" any day of the week, without even thinking twice about it.
Si

MacGuffin

Adrien Brody wins that lawsuit to bury his new horror movie
Source: SyFy

If you live in the U.S. and you're hoping to see Giallo, the Dario Argento horror movie starring Adrien Brody, any time soon, well, somebody just killed that hope—Adrien Brody.

As we reported last month, the Academy Award-winning star sued Giallo's producers to prevent the release of the film until he was paid $640,000 he was owed on the project.

According to the New York Times, the court has ruled in Brody's favor:

On Monday Judge Dale S. Fischer of United States District Court in Los Angeles ruled on the matter, writing that Mr. Brody was "suffering, and will continue to suffer, immediate and irreparable harm" unless the release of the film is halted. A lawyer representing the Giallo producers did not immediately comment to The A.P.
Of course, this ruling only blocks the film "from distribution or sale in the United States," so those of you outside the U.S. still can see the new horror film from the director of Suspiria.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Man, Brody's career kind of sucks these days.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

Quote from: Stefen on November 25, 2010, 03:07:13 AM
Man, Brody's career kind of sucks these days.

yes but imagine you got a job, did your work, and didn't get paid.

if that's ever happened to you, it has to me (independent film industry is full of pimps and scoundrels), you'd side with Brody.
the one last hit that spent you...

Reel

QT's take on Suzuki and Meyer pretty much perfectly sums up what I like about Argento:

TM: Did you get any inspiration from Seijun Suzuki?

QT: It's funny...I'm not inspired by his movies as a whole, but by certain shots and just his willingness to completely experiment to try and get images that are really cool or psychedelic. I'm very inspired by that. To me, his films...well, he's a little bit like Russ Meyer for me. It's easier to like sections of his films than the whole movie. I'm not putting him down, its just that I think he works better in sequences and scenes. And some movies work better than other movies. As for Russ Meyer, Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! is a complete masterpiece. That was one where everything worked. Suzuki did that with Branded to Kill (1967, Japan)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been on a real Argento kick lately, and no matter how much his movies can lull you in the middle, man do they grab you in the end.