BAND OF OUTSIDERS

Started by Rudie Obias, January 08, 2003, 02:28:54 PM

Ravi

Quote from: bigideasno one owns Breathless in DVD form?

I rented it from the library.  It is an okay disc if you aren't too picky about video transfers, but I was disappointed in it.  It looks to be a PAL to NTSC conversion and I remember noticing some compression and/or noise reduction artifacts.  Otherwise it is a fairly clean transfer, but hope that Criterion does this one someday, as there is room for improvement.  Fox Lorber is known for subpar transfers.

tpfkabi

that's an old post, i actually bought the DVD a few months back.
Fox Lorber aren't the greatest, but they're cheap and i've gotten to see My Life to Live and Shoot the Piano Player that way......even a subpar transfer can't deny the greatness of the films.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SoNowThen

My Life To Live is actually a pretty good transfer. Le Petit Soldat is passable. And it's not like Breathless is so bad that it ruins the movie. It's not distracting in any way.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

tpfkabi

how would you rate Le Petit Soldat alongisde the other Godard films?
i'm not talking about transfer or the DVD, i mean the film itself.
i just ordered Band of Outsiders a few minutes ago.

SoNowThen

Very high. I've never figured why it's not mentioned among his best. Notable for two reasons: Anna Karina's debut (lovingly shot in extended close-ups), and the torture sequence.

Yes, all must see Le Petit Soldat.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

tpfkabi

i watched this soon after i got it and was a little disappointed.
butttttt, i watched the second time last night and really enjoyed it.
the glossary section was pretty interesting.
can't wait for A Woman is a Woman!!

Tictacbk

Band of Outsiders is a great film(see avatar...love that scene), now i gotta get the breathless dvd.