ossscar: Oscar Night

Started by ©brad, March 22, 2003, 10:42:14 AM

©brad

The Academy Award Nominations thread was old and dusty, didn't want to resurrect that mess.
Pretty indifferent this year, no real favorites. Would like to see Steve Martin tell some funny jokes and Scorsese to give a speech. If Charlie Kaufman wins I'll be a happy camper. It would be cool if Chris Cooper, Meryl Streep, and Day-Lewis win.  It seems really stupid to get all hung up over the oscars this year with everything that is going on, but I don't know. I do think they should go on. Apparently they are really toning down the show, getting rid of all the red-carpet fashion show shit, which is a good thing.
So, post all your predictions and reactions after the awards and stuff here I guess. For all the oscar haters on the board, please don't flood this thread with all the usual "the academy awards suck" bullshit. we get it, you don't like them. you know you're still gonna watch them.

Just to remind everyone- here are the nominations.

Quote from: MacGuffin

BEST PICTURE
CHICAGO
GANGS OF NEW YORK
THE HOURS
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS
THE PIANIST

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Adrien Brody - THE PIANIST
Nicolas Cage - ADAPTATION
Michael Caine - THE QUIET AMERICAN
Daniel Day-Lewis - GANGS OF NEW YORK
Jack Nicholson - ABOUT SCHMIDT

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Chris Cooper - ADAPTATION
Ed Harris - THE HOURS
Paul Newman - ROAD TO PERDITION
John C. Reilly - CHICAGO
Christopher Walken - CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Salma Hayek - FRIDA
Nicole Kidman - THE HOURS
Diane Lane - UNFAITHFUL
Julianne Moore - FAR FROM HEAVEN
Renée Zellweger - CHICAGO

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Kathy Bates - ABOUT SCHMIDT
Julianne Moore - THE HOURS
Queen Latifah - CHICAGO
Meryl Streep - ADAPTATION
Catherine Zeta-Jones - CHICAGO

DIRECTING
Rob Marshall - CHICAGO
Martin Scorsese - GANGS OF NEW YORK
Stephen Daldry - THE HOURS
Roman Polanski - THE PIANIST
Pedro Almodóvar - TALK TO HER

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
Peter Hedges and Chris Weitz & Paul Weitz - ABOUT A BOY
Charlie Kaufman & Donald Kaufman - ADAPTATION
Bill Condon - CHICAGO
David Hare - THE HOURS
Ronald Harwood - THE PIANIST

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
Todd Haynes - FAR FROM HEAVEN
Jay Cocks and Steven Zaillian and Kenneth Lonergan - GANGS OF NEW YORK
Nia Vardalos - MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING
Pedro Almodóvar - TALK TO HER
Alfonso Cuarón & Carlos Cuarón - Y TU MAMÁ TAMBIÉN

ART DIRECTION
CHICAGO
FRIDA
GANGS OF NEW YORK
ROAD TO PERDITION

CINEMATOGRAPHY
CHICAGO
FAR FROM HEAVEN
GANGS OF NEW YORK
THE PIANIST
ROAD TO PERDITION

FILM EDITING
CHICAGO
GANGS OF NEW YORK
THE HOURS
THE PIANIST

SOUND
CHICAGO
GANGS OF NEW YORK
ROAD TO PERDITION
SPIDER-MAN

SOUND EDITING
MINORITY REPORT
ROAD TO PERDITION

VISUAL EFFECTS
SPIDER-MAN
STAR WARS EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES

MUSIC (SCORE)
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
FAR FROM HEAVEN
FRIDA
THE HOURS
ROAD TO PERDITION

MUSIC (SONG)
"I Move On" - CHICAGO
"Lose Yourself" - 8 MILE
"Burn It Blue" - FRIDA
"The Hands That Built America" - GANGS OF NEW YORK
"Father And Daughter" - THE WILD THORNBERRYS MOVIE

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
EL CRIMEN DEL PADRE AMARO
HERO
THE MAN WITHOUT A PAST
NOWHERE IN AFRICA
ZUS & ZO

COSTUME DESIGN
CHICAGO
FRIDA
GANGS OF NEW YORK
THE HOURS
THE PIANIST

MAKEUP
FRIDA
THE TIME MACHINE

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
ICE AGE
LILO & STITCH
SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARRON
SPIRITED AWAY
TREASURE PLANET

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE
DAUGHTER FROM DANANG
PRISONER OF PARADISE
SPELLBOUND
WINGED MIGRATION

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
THE COLLECTOR OF BEDFORD STREET
MIGHTY TIMES: THE LEGACY OF ROSA PARKS
TWIN TOWERS
WHY CAN'T WE BE A FAMILY AGAIN?

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
THE CATHEDRAL
THE CHUBBCHUBBS!
DAS RAD
MIKE'S NEW CAR
MT. HEAD

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
FAIT D'HIVER
I'LL WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE... (J'ATTENDRAI LE SUIVANT...)
INJA (DOG)
JOHNNY FLYNTON
THIS CHARMING MAN (DER ER EN YNDIG MAND)

Redlum

I saw Mikey ( :roll: ) Moore on the news last night, and he was pretty annoyed about them taking the red carpet out.

As you said Steve Martins great. Last time round, strange inside jokes with Danny De Vito involving celery dip and jabs at Russell Crowe (poor guy).

I haven't seen many of the films this year but there are a few people, that it will be nice to see. The make up award seems the strangest this year. I'm sure there's a certain fantasy film missing from that list.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

bonanzataz

i like the red carpet. everybody likes the red carpet, it gets high ratings. they're not dropping it to tone down the show, they're doing it because they're probably afraid of an attack or something. pssssh.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Duck Sauce

Keep the red carpet. You dont have to act like a war is not happening, but you also dont have to forget about everything except the war. People like the red carpet and Joan Rivers will be without a job.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

xerxes

i can't believe you posted that picture... what the hell is wrong with you man???

Jeremy Blackman

Rudie Obias

the sigur ros show is on the same night in cleveland but it's sold out and i didn't buy my tickets in time.  fuckin' cleveland!   :x   so i guess i'll be at home watching the oscars.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

BonBon85

I just don't want the oscars to turn into a major political thing. There's been lots of talk about no shows due to the war. I'm sure we're not in mourning over the fact that Will Smith won't be there, but it wouldn't be cool if other rumored no shows failed to make an appearance (i.e. Meryl Streep).

Duck Sauce

Quote from: BonBon85I just don't want the oscars to turn into a major political thing. There's been lots of talk about no shows due to the war. I'm sure we're not in mourning over the fact that Will Smith won't be there, but it wouldn't be cool if other rumored no shows failed to make an appearance (i.e. Meryl Streep).

The main reason I wont watch is because I cant stand to hear anti-war speeches and cheering over and over again. Thats another bad thing about war, everything becomes focused on it.

MacGuffin

Quote from: BonBon85I just don't want the oscars to turn into a major political thing. There's been lots of talk about no shows due to the war. I'm sure we're not in mourning over the fact that Will Smith won't be there, but it wouldn't be cool if other rumored no shows failed to make an appearance (i.e. Meryl Streep).

From the Los Angeles Times:

There have been rumors that the show could see many stars bailing out at the last minute, either because of security concerns or because they deem it inappropriate given the gravity of events in Iraq.

Oscar show organizers said that to their knowledge, the only major figures to have dropped out so far are actors Will Smith and Jim Carrey, and Peter Jackson, the director of "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," who expressed anxiety that he would not be able to return to his native New Zealand in time for editing another film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: Duck SauceThats another bad thing about war, everything becomes focused on it.

:?:

Victor

i wanna see julianne and john c. win. reilly was the best part of chicago, even if his part was small, and id love to see the look on his face if he were to win. moore deserves it more than any actress here. shes just SO FUCKING GOOD. (cbrad, youre gonna have to change your avatar, because my mother's starting to ask what happened to all her tissues.)

i would.
i bloody would.

also it'd be nice to see little donnie kaufman win.
are you gonna eat with us too?

RegularKarate

Evidently, this shortened red carpet thing really hasn't changed much... There's that horrible Hag-beast Joan Rivers shitting out of her mouth on E right now and the growth she removed and raised as a child, Melissa is as close to the carpet as she can get.

And the pre-show is still scheduled, evidently.