QUEER CINEMA

Started by modage, June 02, 2003, 05:33:46 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardian on April 30, 2006, 10:38:27 AMThe Celluloid Closet

That film forever screwed up how I watch Ben Hur.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 30, 2006, 12:06:01 PM
Quote from: godardian on April 30, 2006, 10:38:27 AMThe Celluloid Closet

That film forever screwed up how I watch Ben Hur.

Or did it make it that much more FUN??

Seriously, Gore Vidal was by far my favorite part of Celluloid Closet, which is good but fallible. Then again, when isn't Vidal the most lucid and articulate of any group?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Lucid on April 30, 2006, 02:35:11 PM
I'm totaly with you, godardian.  Overall, I find Rope really entertaining and a great watch, despite the fact that there are a lot of problems with the representation of Brandon/Phillip's not-so-veiled homosexual relationship. 

Quote from: godardian on April 30, 2006, 10:38:27 AM
a homophobic inclination to depict gays and lesbians as deviant murderers

Exactly.  The parallel established between the duo's deviant sexuality and the deviant act they've just committed was really driven across right after the murder, when Brandon reflects on his "art" while basically jerking off the champagne bottle (also notice that Phillip is the one who has to pop the cork for him).  So often it is implied that there is a self-centeredness to their sexual behavior that's intertwined with a deep lack of morality.  It was great to hear Arthur Laurents address the issue, if only in a very general way, in "Rope Unleashed."  I also thought that Farley Granger was so great in the film.   :yabbse-thumbup:         

Have you guys watched Robert Walker's more obvious homosexual killer in the British version of Strangers On A Train?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks