of montreal

Started by tpfkabi, April 10, 2006, 10:17:48 PM

tpfkabi

couldn't find a thread here.
i've heard of them quite a bit, but am just now really digging in to their catalog.
have Poppies, Sunlandic and just got Satanic last week.

couldn't get The Party's Crashing Us out of my head for a while.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gamblour.

Yeah, they come out of Athens, GA. very catchy music, but also very much like an acid trip (dare I say, trippy?). The lyrics are strange and colorful. Haven't seen them live yet.
WWPTAD?

JG

Hmm, one of my top 5 favorite bands.  I've seen em life, own almost all of their records.  They pull em out like clockwork.  Kevin Barnes never stops working.  My favorites:  Satanic Panic in the Attic, The Gay Parade.

Cherry Peel their debut, is also excellent.  As is quite a few other ones.  Highly recommended live show as well. 

bonanzataz

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on April 10, 2006, 11:51:19 PM
Yeah, they come out of Athens, GA

so, basically, they're liars...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

tpfkabi

i believe i read he had a girlfriend from Montreal around the time he formed the band......or something.

any idea why the album with GW on the cover is out of print?
i read he Barnes wasn't too pleased with it, but still...........to not print it anymore?

JG

a lot of their albums go in and out of print, 3 of their albums just recently got re-released.  still that's the one of the few i don't have. 

Weird. Oh

Quote from: bigideas on April 11, 2006, 07:17:43 PM
i believe i read he had a girlfriend from Montreal around the time he formed the band......or something.

any idea why the album with GW on the cover is out of print?
i read he Barnes wasn't too pleased with it, but still...........to not print it anymore?

I'm pretty sure that album was a tour only one with the title Then Who Will Protect Big Oil. I've been an Of Montreal fan way before they became a dance-rock O.C raved group. Don't really care for the past two albums too much but they still have their catchiness to them.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

tpfkabi

they had a song on the OC?

Ultrahip

these  guys are awesome, and even more awesome live. glad this thread was started, and i have to agree on the party's crashing us now, that song stayed in my head for about two months.

two bouncy, rollicking months.

Weird. Oh

Quote from: bigideas on April 12, 2006, 05:51:30 PM
they had a song on the OC?

Apparently.it was Requiem for OMM2. If you got to any shows of theirs now you'll see a bunch of scenesters and teeny bops.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

tpfkabi

i think the latest live pitchfork review mentioned the OC but i thought they meant it as a figure of speech...........that's nuts.

I'm not liking Satanic as much as Sunlandic or Poppies (sorry i can't remember how to spell the 'c' word). there's not as much varying instruments, just mostly electric guitar. but i've only listened to it about 3 times.

but man, City Birds is slaying me. sounds like Lennon circa White Album (think Dear Prudence, Julia) and the flute makes me think of Nick Drake.

colbent

That album with GW was just a collection of b-sides and stuff, it's not very good anyway.

Neil

Great great great music...Born a girl blew my mind, that's a song that I could never picture being written...
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

tpfkabi

Bedside Drama has been in my cd player the last couple weeks.

tpfkabi

seeing them tomorrow. i'm loving the new album and ep.
my opinion on Satanic has changed - i like it quite a bit now. i have their entire discography except for one and i like just about every track on each release.