Mr. Show

Started by sphinx, April 11, 2003, 05:51:10 PM

Ravi

Lots of people do that.

Tictacbk

Odenkirk, Cross returning to HBO
Hollywood Reporter
March 21, 2008

The "Mr. Show" duo of Bob Odenkirk and David Cross are returning to HBO with "David's Situation," a new comedy pilot starring Cross.

Odenkirk and Cross co-wrote the project, which will star Cross as himself. He leaves Hollywood to move into a suburban, gated community where he has two roommates, a right-wing conservative and a liberal hippie.

"We feel it's really strong and important to the health of America," Cross and Odenkirk wrote about the project on their Web site, BobAndDavid.com.

Odenkirk will direct the pilot, which is slated to film in May. Odenkirk and Stu Smiley will executive produce, with Dionne Kirschner serving as producer.

The pickup for "Situation" comes 10 years after Odenkirk and Cross' late-night sketch comedy series "Mr. Show with Bob and David" bowed out after four seasons on HBO.

picolas

fock that's great. although i hope it's not like almost everything else odenkirk has directed.

Jeremy Blackman

Can't wait! :yabbse-thumbup:

That TED Talk parody should be pretty great. Odenkirk looks like a homeless Thom Yorke.

Jeremy Blackman

Episode 1 is weak, Episode 2 is very good, and Episode 3 is excellent. Definitely stick with it.

Garam

Only seen episode 2 but the interrogation scene was classic Mr Show. I'm really glad this exists. I hope they can find the time to continue making these, since Netflix seem so flexible. Even one episode every 10 months or whatever, doesn't matter. Just take their time with each and send them out sporadically. Why the hell not, right?

Jeremy Blackman

I agree. They're all really busy now, but Netflix gives them that flexibility.

Episode 1 feels like it was written by someone else, then suddenly they're back with Episode 2. And you're right, the interrogation sketch definitely made me think "okay good, this is exactly the same show."

cronopio2

i love the intro sequence. so enjoyable .

Jeremy Blackman

I also love the opening credits. Mesmerizing.

The fourth (and last) episode is a bit underwhelming. But I don't really mind, and I love the salesman sketch.

"A child in jail is a hug waiting to be set free!" ... a clear successor to "Sorrow is the key that gets your tears out of eye jail!"

The making-of doc (episode 5) is fascinating. It's bizarre to see David Cross being so sincere and subdued and serious, even. Also, half the show appears to have been written from Odenkirk's tossed-off improvisations. The man is a true genius.

Garam

Bob was so great in that Salesman sketch. He's perfect at playing characters bursting at the seams, barely keeping it together. Haven't changed their clothes in days. Also, who else does a Mayles parody in 2015? Brilliant.

"I got these damn sweat glands!!"

Reel

I keep scrolling by this show in Netflix because I haven't heard enough chatter about it to warrant a viewing yet, but you two have said enough to at least get me to watch ep. 2.

Quote from: Garam on November 22, 2015, 02:50:39 AM
who else does a Maysles parody in 2015?

ehemm...'Documentary Now!' does: