Criterion DVDs That Don't Deserve It

Started by hedwig, July 18, 2005, 04:35:07 PM

hedwig

In your opinion, what Criterion-released movies  did not deserve to be Criterionized and why?

mogwai

armageddon and the rock. because they stain the concept of criterion dvd's.

Brazoliange

Long live the New Flesh

modage

watch the Rock again and tell it it's not a good movie.  

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Brazoliange

I can't possibly fathom why they would give The Rock a Crit. release and not Face-Off
Long live the New Flesh

cowboykurtis

the rock is an action film - as good as it gets for an action film -

i've harped on this before - I don't understand  the people that criticize Bay - are they expecting something subtle and philosophical? He is an action director, there are certain genre archetypes that are inherent to action films - And Bay is one of the best in that said genre. Most criticisms i hear directed towards Bay (over-the-top, gratuitous,etc) are a essential component to the action genre. What good action film isn't gratutious - John Woo, another great action director is over-the-top as one can get, a little more poetic than Bay? Yes. But they're cut from the same cloth.

If one thinks the action genre is shallow shit then you can't judge Bay for following those genre conventions - Criticize the action genre if anything - But, there are a hell of a lot more inept directors working in the action genre than Bay.
...your excuses are your own...

Tryskadekafobia

I'll go with The Killer or Hard Boiled when it comes to Criterion's action movies.

cowboykurtis

i really wish they'd re-release these
...your excuses are your own...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Armageddon and the Rock were mistakes, in my opinion.

I never saw the reasoning behind Spinal Tap deserving a Criterion treatment, though it wasn't as much of a blunder as enlisting some Michael Bay.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

the rock wasn't even that good as an action film.  like you really couldn't tell what was going on and the action scenes weren't that intense or entertaining.  I mean why didn't they just go with like the big daddy of the genre and do die hard?  even under siege was better than the rock.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

Quote from: BrazoliangeI can't possibly fathom why they would give The Rock a Crit. release and not Face-Off
i'm not arguing that.  i dont see how it possibly fits the Criterion criteria, but i was arguing that 'they're not good movies' statement.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

They gotta make the paper somehow. I bet The Rock, Armageddon, Chasing Amy, and any other film thats mentioned in this topic has outsold every other Criterion dvd.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

hedwig

Quote from: StefenThey gotta make the paper somehow. I bet The Rock, Armageddon, Chasing Amy, and any other film thats mentioned in this topic has outsold every other Criterion dvd.
hmmmmmmmm good point, i personally have not seen any of those 3 movies, and am completely satisfied with every Criterion I own (although I gotta give "I am Curious" another shot, really) ... Armageddon and the Rock were the 2 i was expecting some of yall to say immediately...

theyve released a lotta movies - two or three flukes really ain't that bad at all, right?

Stefen

They are only flukes cause they are semi shitty movies. They aernt flukes in the pockets of criterion.

A more appropriate title for this thread would be "criterion dvds that assholes dig"
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

No, it wasn't a knock on your thread. It's a good thread and its proven by my presense. I was just saying criterion is not exempt from making asshole dvd's. But they do it for the bank most definetely. But they did do an awesome job on those asshole dvds. It's not like they halfassed it.