Edward Yang

Started by grand theft sparrow, June 27, 2005, 09:29:00 AM

Stefen

"An Eddie Yang topic? That's hot"
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

w/o horse

Quote from: petethis is getting kinda irritating, with losing the horse knowing nothing about the films but demands everyone to submit information to him just so he can spend his parents' money on dvds in walmart.  and then calling people cunts afterwards.  why are you such a big whiner, losing the horse?  you're the mark mcgrath of xixax.

Are you fucking kidding me?  Because you're not fucking funny.

Ugh I don't even know where to begin.

Quotewith losing the horse knowing nothing about the films

Assumption #1.  Cheap shot and completely untrue.  I come here to read about movies I haven't seen.  I have to dig around to find topics about movies I haven't seen.

Quotebut demands everyone to submit information to him

Overblown statement.  I ask about movies.  This is such a simple, pure concept that in pete's microscope becomes somehow bad.

Quoteso he can spend his parents' money on dvds in walmart

Assumption #2.  This is completely fucking offensive, and you have no fucking idea how hard I have to work to live here in CA, and you have no idea about my parents at all.  I am going to stop talking about this only because I know it was part of your melodramatic argument style, but you're really wrong.

Quoteand then calling people cunts afterwards

You've been nothing but a cunt to me pete, in this thread, the only thread you've ever talked to me.  I don't know why you chose me, but I wish you hadn't because this argument only makes us both look stupid, and it doesn't have any merit to it whatsoever.  Lots of people annoy lots of other people on this board for all sorts of reasons, for some reason you're annoyed because I would like for people to talk about movies they haven't talked about.  Fine.  We had this tiff about it, fine.  People fight all the time, the Internet is funny, you think highly of yourself and like to argue, fine.  All of this is good and well, completely natural.  I think you have me pegged wrong, and instead of being mature about the situation I responded and that led to this, which I regret.

Quotewhy are you such a big whiner, losing the horse?

Lots of reasons, I suppose.  My past.  Emotional instabilities.  My move to California.  Friends, work, heaven, hell, I don't know.  I know I don't like it when people try and put other people down.  I know I don't like it when people try and use uneccesary authority.  I know I don't like it when people are arrogant in a way that hurts other people.  But you don't really want an answer to this question pete, you just want everyone to know that you think I'm a whiner, and you just want to see me as a whiner for whatever reason.

Quoteyou're the mark mcgrath of xixax

I get along here just fine, I'm pretty sure, thanks.  I really like a lot of people who post here, and I appreciate it when people respond about movies.

I apologize for any fuel I gave to this.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

pete

worst apology ever.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

grand theft sparrow

I'd like to apologize for starting this thread.

meatball

man this Yang topic is hot, I better check that guy out.

w/o horse

There is no way you could not be my favorite now.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

w/o horse

Quote from: pete
I didn't think Crash was pretentious.  It might've been overwritten and its view of race might've been dumb, but it sought to reach out to a mass audience and it preached to them in a very accessible manner.  Yiyi on the other hand wanted to be a textbook arthouse film, with, like I've said before, stolen aesthetics (with no new insight), indulgent self-references (regarding video games and watching slow movies), and some very predictable instances of "magical realism" (spoiler: with the grandma waking up in the girl's dream).  I liked the little boy as an actor and liked his character in the movie, but the movie got indulgent when the adult characters were all amazed by the brilliance and the soulfulness of the child.  in the end it was a boring movie about the banality of life, with very little freshness for it to cover like four different character arcs over three hours.
I don't think edward yang ripped off magnolia though, I just think it shows what magnolia would be like if it was actually as "arty", pretentious and tedious as its critics labelled it.

All your complaints are justified having seen the film (the videogame moment being far by the most ridiculous, random moment for me), but they don't take away from the film for me.  I agree that it brought nothing new to the table, and would agree if someone said that it has been done better even, but still, films that sit back and let life happen are always a nice treat for me.  If only redundant.  The movie did do a better job of sitting back than others have, I would say.

The magical realism I didn't have a problem with.  I just watched Oasis a bit back, and it felt much the same kind of idealistic flashes.

That having been said, I doubt there will be a day in which I'll want to sit through Yi Yi again.  There simply wouldn't be anything to take away from a second viewing, as the movie isn't just drawn out for you, the fucker highlights and circles the important parts.  So I guess the movie is like watching interesting home movies.  I'm glad I got to see and know the people, but next time I come over I think I'd rather do something else.