What is your goal?

Started by MacGuffin, August 21, 2004, 07:45:07 PM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I'd be very happy with any combination of three through seven. Categories one and two would be nice, but I don't really care about either of them that much. Getting a good review from Ebert isn't really a huge goal, but it would be tremendously satisfying since he played such a big part in m cinematic upbringing (my mom used to read me his reviews before I could myself).

And of course a large part of making movies is personal satisfaction, which would tie into the last category...but I've already achieved that goal.

Alethia

if people just simply got anything positive from my movies id be a happy camper

so i guess noted filmmaker, tho rave ebert reviews wouldn't suck.....

how bout u macguffin?

SHAFTR

I don't know, I really don't have any goals that are up there.  I want to have a career in film (either production, critical or academic).  I want to have some sort of body work in either aspect that I can be proud of.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

picolas

if everyone liked my movies but i didn't like the movies at all, i'd shoot myself in the knee.

Alethia

ono

Don't care about big box office or Academy Awards, though they would definitely help.  It's not something to aim for though.  It's way too unrealistic.  It's like winning the lottery, or like Jodie Foster said, "BINGO!"  It's a popularity contest, wrought with politics.

Thumbs-up by Ebert would be great.  Four stars would be even better.  I'm not gonna lie, if Ebert raved about my film, it would make my year.  Having a Criterion release, being a noted filmmaker for future generations, and having my own forum on Xixax all fall hand-in-hand really.  They mean in the community of people who really know what they're talking about when it comes to film, you've got skills.  Well, maybe not the Xixax forum thing, because I still wonder about why some of those guys have forums.

I'd love to say "fuck all of that, I make films for myself," but I think most filmmakers crave an audience.  In all my thinking, I'm creating things that I want to see for some reason or another, but I can't deny that I want others to enjoy it, too.  I won't be totally crushed if they don't.  You can't win everyone over.  But it's just a great bonus if people actually "get" your work.

I think eward's comment about Woody Allen is fitting, because I identify.  I come to hate whatever it is after I've created it, finding all these little things wrong with it, things I'd do diifferent, or maybe I just cringe at how certain things come off, either if they're misinterpreted or just not what I intended or how I imagined it to be.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ewardhow bout u macguffin?

I'd like to achieve all choices on that list at least once with my filmography. But I made a promise to my mom that I would get her a real Oscar statuette, rather than one those fake, plastic ones you get from Universal Studios that says stuff like "Best Mom". But it would be a dream to be up there on stage and thank my parents, especially my mom who 'brainwashed' me with films, and then just hand the golden guy over to her and tell her, "This is for you." That would be my ultimate goal.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Thrindle

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: ewardhow bout u macguffin?
I'd like to achieve all choices on that list at least once with my filmography. But I made a promise to my mom that I would get her a real Oscar statuette, rather than one those fake, plastic ones you get from Universal Studios that says stuff like "Best Mom". But it would be a dream to be up there on stage and thank my parents, especially my mom who 'brainwashed' me with films, and then just hand the golden guy over to her and tell her, "This is for you." That would be my ultimate goal.
*sheds a small tear*  That's really sweet Mac.
Classic.

Raikus

I just want to make something that makes people smile.

Making money off it would be cool too.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

pete

how come scoring chicks isn't one of the goals?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Alethia

because it will never happen for any of us.

grand theft sparrow

I have a few goals.

I want to occupy a 3-year-old's every waking thought with one of my films like Star Wars and Time Bandits did for me.

I want a 10-year-old to want to be something they never considered before after seeing one of my films like I wanted to be an astronaut after seeing The Right Stuff.

I want a 16-year-old to come out of the theatre after one of my films thinking it was the absolute greatest thing they'd ever seen just like I did when I saw Pulp Fiction the first time.

I want to render a 21-year-old utterly speechless like I was after seeing Magnolia.

I want to make a 26-year-old squeeze his girlfriend's hand just a little tighter as she wipes the tears from her eyes after seeing one of my films just like I did when I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I don't need to accomplish all of these goals.   Just one would make my life complete but I intend to work towards accomplishing all of them.  Now if you'll excuse me...

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: petehow come scoring chicks isn't one of the goals?
Quote from: ewardbecause it will never happen for any of us.

hahaha...

as for goals.....i would be happy w/ anyone of those but this answer is exactly how i feel......:
Quote from: SHAFTRI want to have a career in film (either production, critical or academic). I want to have some sort of body work in either aspect that I can be proud of.

ElPandaRoyal

I think the thing I most wanted was to be discussed by future generations. That would be a sign that my movies didn't just work when they were released, but had an impact and even an influence on younger audiences.

But fuck it, if I could become a millionaire and score lots of chicks because of my filmmaking career, that would be sweeeeeeeeet  :-D
Si