Which magazines do you subscribe to?

Started by Stefen, March 17, 2004, 07:42:50 PM

Slick Shoes

Me and my old roommate subscribed to: Spin, Rolling Stone, Playboy, Entertainment Weekly, GQ, Men's Health and Maxim. Rarely did I get around to reading all of them. Mainly, it was for shits and giggles.

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: ThrindleVanity Fair... my monthly addiction...

Me, too (they even published one of my letters to the editor!).

care to transcribe??    :-D ??

i  want a suscription to res magazine too.
context, context, context.

md

res is a great magazine but it seems like a ripoff for the price...the only thing I like is the digital habitat portion and once in a while they will cover an intersting director
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Tictacbk

Cigar Afficianado is an excellent magazine, even if you don't smoke cigars.  I highly reccommend it.

Stefen

Quote from: TictacbkCigar Afficianado is an excellent magazine, even if you don't smoke cigars.  I highly reccommend it.

I subscribe to pompous ass instead.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

Quote from: StefenI subscribe to pompous ass instead.
So does Elton John.

SHAFTR

Quote from: godardian

Film Comment

Would you recommend it?  Would American Cinematographer be a better choice?  Some other film mag?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Find Your Magali

Sports Illustratred
Creative Screenwriting
Script
Smithsonian

My subscription to Wired has lapsed, and I miss it.

I pick up Film Comment a few times a year at the bookstore. If the cover entices me.

MacGuffin

Hachette pulls plug on Premiere
Movie magazine shutters after 20-year run
Source: Variety

Hachette Filipacchi pulled the plug on Premiere on Monday, confirming widespread rumors that the embattled movie mag would be shuttered.

Many of the company's edit staffers will reportedly leave the company, including editor-in-chief Peter Herbst.

The April issue, which features Will Ferrell on the cover for "Blades of Glory," will be mag's last. Staffers put the issue to bed about 10 days ago.

Premiere publisher Paul Turcotte could be named to another post within Hachette, though there was no official confirmation of a new role.

Magazine, which is pubbed 10 times per year, will continue to exist online.

Specifics on how many staffers would migrate, how often content will be refreshed and how many of the mag's regular features will be maintained were undisclosed.

News of the mag's print demise brings to an end what has been something of a media soap opera for the New York-based title, which employs five print edit staffers in its Hollywood bureau and an estimated several dozen in its flagship Gotham offices.

Hachette and parent company Lagardere were trying to sell the title earlier this year, but bidders were reportedly thin for the troubled pub. Mag saw its ad pages decline nearly 25% in 2006.

Announcement marks the closure of another pub for Hachette, which also shuttered Elle Girl and startup Shock.

The 20-year old Premiere had its heyday in the 1990s, when the appetite for insider movie news grew.

Even today, mag publishes a Hollywood power list and industry scuttlebutt under sections like "Yes It's True: News You're Not Supposed to Know," alongside more consumer-friendly stories, such as a list of overrated movies.

But the trade-flavored pieces Premiere once specialized in have become less relevant as consumer dailies have taken more of an interest in the trade, while sites like Defamer have proliferated on the demand for near-instantaneous industry gossip.

Premiere also faced the challenge of being a long-lead mag in a realm where news moves increasingly quickly. Oscar predictions, for example, can't be made months in advance without running the risk of becoming stale by the time the print edition hits newsstands.

And while interest in celeb news is by many indications stronger than ever, sites like TMZ and PerezHilton have proved more adept at breaking and keeping up with news.

Hachette's new strategy is to move in a newsier direction, offering more timely items on Premiere.com and on mobile platforms -- routes that would also be less costly.

"This step is consistent with our strategy to examine our portfolio of brands to determine the best business plan for each based on its category and the marketplace," Hachette prexy-CEO Jack Kliger said in a statement.

Company will continue publishing international editions in territories such as France, where the mag started in the 1970s.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

no way, the only film magazine that's any good is american cinematographers, it's actually about filmmaking.  filmmaker is good too, but it doesnt' seem to come out very frequently.  film comment, like all them other pompous pedigree rags, are written mostly by people who only know how to watch movies.
american cinematographer + the paris review = the only thing a wannabe filmmaker needs to stay inspired.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

So I finally broke down and subscribed to The Paris Review. I'd been contemplating it for years but finally just did it. Can't wait for my first issue.

On a side note, why the fuck does it still take 6-8 weeks to receive your first issue of a magazine subscription. If you order online you should get your first issue a week or so later.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

I said it way back when I was much more pompous.  now I barely read!
but paris review should still be good.  they just ran excerpts of Herzog's journals from Fitzcaraldo.  pretty fun!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton