EXTRA SUPER BONUS SPECIAL EDITION

Started by SoNowThen, January 28, 2004, 01:52:22 PM

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: SoNowThenAre the 6 minutes gonna turn a suck-hole movie into a decent movie? Cos I really wanted to like this one...

I have to say I like what made it into the movie but coming out of the theatre, I felt like I tuned into a 7 hour movie part of the way in and turned it off before it was over.  It should have covered more of Ali's life than just those 10 years.  That was what sank the film.

Bring on the HEAT Director's Cut!

Pwaybloe

Quote from: hacksparrowI have to say I like what made it into the movie but coming out of the theatre, I felt like I tuned into a 7 hour movie part of the way in and turned it off before it was over.  It should have covered more of Ali's life than just those 10 years.  That was what sank the film.

It was shot in a documentarian style; a fly on the wall perspective.  Documentries usually film a certain lapse of time, hence the pivotal 10 year period in Ali's life.  This lapse of time was the most entertaining and story-worthy.  

I commend Mann for not filling in the movie with trivial facts like an A&E Biography would do.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pawbloe
Quote from: hacksparrowI have to say I like what made it into the movie but coming out of the theatre, I felt like I tuned into a 7 hour movie part of the way in and turned it off before it was over.  It should have covered more of Ali's life than just those 10 years.  That was what sank the film.

It was shot in a documentarian style; a fly on the wall perspective.  Documentries usually film a certain lapse of time, hence the pivotal 10 year period in Ali's life.  This lapse of time was the most entertaining and story-worthy.  

I commend Mann for not filling in the movie with trivial facts like an A&E Biography would do.

I'm glad they didn't go so far as to show him getting diagnosed with Parkinson's; that would have been awful (but might have gotten Will the Oscar).  But the film still feels incomplete to me, story-wise.  

The fact remains that I don't know much about Ali's life growing up and the one quick shot of him as a kid seeing that picture of Emmett Till just wasn't enough for me to get a sense of who Ali was prior to his fame. When we meet Ali in the film, he's already a contender.  Sure, it's a documentary-style film but most docs have narration or interviews that fill in the blanks that the film may have to skip over. What happened on Cassius Clay's road to the big time?  That's what was missing from the film, IMHO.

But it's still the best boxing film since Raging Bull.

SoNowThen

It's a drop in a bucket compared to the waterfall that was When We Were Kings.

The Forman fight in Ali just seemed like made-for-tv CRAP in comparison.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: hacksparrowBut it's still the best boxing film since Raging Bull.

Correction: the best non-documentary boxing film since Raging Bull.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

grand theft sparrow

I was actually going to make a reference to Diggstown.

But I did forget

SoNowThen

Hahaha, I was soooo gonna link up to that one too. Brian Denehy (sp?) rocks.

NEON MERCURY

hahahahahaha...........Pubrick is right cuba has ther worst string of films ever............but the only thing that makes gladiator some what cool is that it has  the guy from twin peaks in it......

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: NEON MERCURYit has  the guy from twin peaks in it......
So.....you like David Lynch, then?

modage

Further Details
Columbia have kindly sent over some early details on two new editions of Spider-Man which stars Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst. Firstly, a three disc ultimate edition will be available to own from the 1st June this year, and should set you back somewhere in the region of $24.95. The full disc specs for this one are attached below. Also released on the 1st June will be a superbit release of the film. As well as a new anamorphic widescreen transfer the disc will include both English Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 tracks as well as an exclusive commentary with Tobey Maguire.

-Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
-English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track
-French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track
-Weaving the Web: Subtitled Factoids
-Audio Commentary with Sam Raimi, Kirsten Dunst & Producers
-Audio Commentary with the Special Effects Crew
-Chad Kroeger Feat. Josey Scott: Hero Music Video
-Sum 41: What We're All About Music Video
-Screen Tests: Tobey Maguire, J.K. Simmons & CGI Spidey
-Spider-Mania: An E! Entertainment Special
-HBO Making of Spider-Man Featurette
-Filmographies & Character Files
-Multiple Costume and Makeup Tests
-Selection of Outtakes and Gags
-Conceptual Art & Production Design Gallery
-Director Profile: Sam Raimi
-Composer Profile: Danny Elfman
-Theatrical Trailers and TV Spots
-Branching Web-i-sodes
-DVD-ROM: Comic/Feature Comparison
-DVD-ROM: Record Your Own Commentary
-DVD-ROM: Countdown to Spider-Man 2
-DVD-ROM: Spider-Man Weblinks
-English, French, Spanish Subtitles

i like how not only are they screwing everyone by putting out a new version of spider-man in addition to the 2 that are already out, but that they're putting out TWO FUCKING EDITIONS!?!?  like, would it be too much to ask, when we're getting royally screwed to atleast make ONE new version that IS superbit and has 3 discs with extras?  what jerks.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Quote from: themodernage02-Sum 41: What We're All About Music Video

Finally!

Quotei like how not only are they screwing everyone by putting out a new version of spider-man in addition to the 2 that are already out, but that they're putting out TWO FUCKING EDITIONS!?!?  like, would it be too much to ask, when we're getting royally screwed to atleast make ONE new version that IS superbit and has 3 discs with extras?  what jerks.

But then they couldn't do the commentary with Tobey Maguire.

NEON MERCURY

phuck that!!! i'm quite happy with the 2 disk that i wasted my money on.....

cine

Quote from: themodernage02like, would it be too much to ask, when we're getting royally screwed to atleast make ONE new version that IS superbit and has 3 discs with extras?  what jerks.
Whoever chooses to put money into the Superbit DVD is... crazy. Why waste the money? Why? This was a silly decision on Columbia's part.

Ravi

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: themodernage02like, would it be too much to ask, when we're getting royally screwed to atleast make ONE new version that IS superbit and has 3 discs with extras?  what jerks.
Whoever chooses to put money into the Superbit DVD is... crazy. Why waste the money? Why? This was a silly decision on Columbia's part.

Some people want the DTS track, but Columbia only offers them on Superbit titles.  But at least they did a good special edition instead of putting a trailer for Spiderman 2 and re-releasing the existing disc.