David O. Russell

Started by Ernie, February 18, 2003, 11:15:52 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: PawbloeOedipus Complex here I come!

Freudian.

Pubrick

Quote from: Duck SauceProbably the most important thing in life is being able to kick the shit out of somebody. well done.

it's true, Alejandro González Iñárritu can kick all ur asses.
under the paving stones.

bonanzataz

Flirting With Disaster was on TV the other day and I wanted to ask where David O. Russell was because FWD was funny. Well...?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Rudin Producing David O. Russell's New Project

In his first film since Three Kings, David O. Russell is moving quickly to mount a comedy on existentialism, says Variety. He's got Mark Wahlberg, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law, Jason Schwartzman, Dustin Hoffman, Lily Tomlin and Catherine Deneuve lining up to join him. Russell has aligned Miramax and Warner Bros. in a co-production scenario that is still coming together.

"It's an ensemble comedy centering around a married couple," Russell said. "They are detectives who solve existential crises for people. It was an idea of mine that I wrote with Jeff Baena."

Russell hopes to shoot in June in Los Angeles. The film's working title is I Love Huckabee's, employing the symbol of a heart for the word love. The plan is for WB to take the creative lead and foreign territories, while Miramax handles domestic distribution.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Wow, that's an awesome cast! Looks like we have something new to look forward to for next year.

Ernie

Quote from: GhostboyWow, that's an awesome cast! Looks like we have something new to look forward to for next year.

Hell yeah, I've been wanting to see Jude Law and Mark Whalberg in more comedies. Mark is funny as hell at parts in Boogie Nights...in the parts when he's all coked up with Reed. Jason Schwartzman is freaking great too, he doesn't do enough. Can't wait to see it, hope it shows up on IMDB soon.

EDIT - Cool, looks like it already did show up on IMDB...it's going straight to my must see list. It sucks that it's not coming out this year though. I want more to look forward to between All the Real Girls and Kill Bill.

Also, forgot about Lily Tomlin, I love her too. She worked great with him in FWD.

I hope he uses some of the style he used in Three Kings. That stuff was awesome.

life_boy

It's about time he's getting back to work.  Even PT Anderson and Spike Jonze have released films since 1999.

dufresne

Three Kings is a truly underrated film

.  I just watched it again over the weekend.  Watched it w/ the David O. Russell's commentary yesterday.  

From the first words of the movie ("Are we shooting?!"), you know you're in for a [anti] war film like no other.  It's a jumbled, fucked-up bizarre masterpiece.

It's amazing how much dialogue in the movie is being echoed by news stations right now (coalition, Karbala, diagrams for Iraqi troops on how to surrender, POWs, Nasiriyah, freeing the people of Iraq, Republican Guard, etc.)
There are shadows in life, baby.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: dufresneThree Kings is a truly underrated film

MOS DEF. When it came out in theaters, I wasnt as into movies and it just looked like a war action movie to me. Of course I was wrong as the movie is thoroughly entertaining and far from being an action movie. I wish Mark would look back at this and BN and see where he is coming from and change where he is going.

MacGuffin

Watts, Not Paltrow, Loves Huckabee's

The Hollywood Reporter says Naomi Watts (The Ring) is in talks to join Fox Searchlight's I Love Huckabee's, taking over for Gwyneth Paltrow, who has dropped out of the project. Watts will segue to the film after she wraps production on The Assassination of Richard Nixon with Sean Penn and Don Cheadle, which begins shooting next month.

Written and directed by David O. Russell, "Huckabee's" also stars Mark Wahlberg, Jude Law, Jason Schwartzman, Lily Tomlin, Dustin Hoffman and Catherine Deneuve.

Watts' character will find herself in a love triangle with Wahlberg and Law's characters.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: tommy_both
Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: ebeaman69Three Kings and Flirting With Disaster are two of the best movies ever made without question. ?
Three Kings had it's moments, but it's far from a great film.

I agree

I third-agree.

I put David O. Russell way down in my second tier of "interesting" younger/newer directors, along with Quentin Tarantino, Kimberly Peirce, etc., with Wes and P.T. Anderson, Todd Haynes, and Alexander Payne up top. I like Flirting with Disaster best of all his films, but there was something sort of blah, overall, about Three Kings. I saw it when it was released and haven't seen it since, though, so I'd be willing to give it another shot someday.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

bonanzataz

i just rewatched it recently after hating it originally and it prompted me to buy the dvd. give it another shot.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinWatts, Not Paltrow, Loves Huckabee's

The Hollywood Reporter says Naomi Watts (The Ring) is in talks to join Fox Searchlight's I Love Huckabee's,

After Mulholland Dr., I'll see anything with Watts. NOT retroactively, however- just now that she can do what she wants. The performance she gave in Lynch's film has got to be one of the most challenging film roles I've ever seen, and she pulled it off so beautifully. One of the first times I can remember being so wowed by an actor's physical and emotional self-molding, I actually considered it a direct part of the film's style. Utterly amazing and wonderful. It's going on 2 years, and I'm still raving about it. I plan to see this one more for Watts than for Russell.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Mesh

Quote from: godardianI like Flirting with Disaster best of all his films, but there was something sort of blah, overall, about Three Kings.

Nope.

There wasn't.

godardian

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: godardianI like Flirting with Disaster best of all his films, but there was something sort of blah, overall, about Three Kings.

Nope.

There wasn't.

That's the impression I remember when I saw it the day it opened. That's almost 3 years ago. Maybe time to give it another shot.