Patton with THX mastering clearly shows

Started by freakerdude, January 12, 2004, 01:49:40 PM

freakerdude

I am truely amazed at the picture and sound quality standard that THX has brought to Patton. I just got it about a month ago and this remastering to the THX standard is truely amazing. The picture quality from my progressive scan DVD player onto my widescreen TV is the best for any movie of that time period due to THX. And the surround sound is by far superior than anything 16 years later like Platoon's surround sound, which totally sucks....no subwoofer needed for that one since there are no LFEs.
MC Pee Pants

Ravi

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/lbx.htm

Interesting stuff.  Also, since Patton was shot in Dimension 150 and had 70mm prints, it possibly had a discrete surround mix, while Platoon was Dolby Stereo.  I thought the edge enhancement was a bit too much, but otherwise it is a pretty good DVD.

By the way, THX doesn't mean much on DVD.  There are some substandard and a few downright bad transfers with the THX logo.  The first DVD of Highlander is a notorious example.

freakerdude

Thanks ravi, as that was some great info for me and was specifically about the Patton transfer too. You guys have a lot of great input. Patton was my first THX cert DVD so maybe I lucked up on the first.

Preesh again
MC Pee Pants

picolas

change your avatar right now or the administration will be forced to mail an avatar-changing robot to your house and you'll have to pay for the shipping and the robot weighs, like, 800 pounds without the crate.

freakerdude

Ay yai capn'.......only if they send the Aqua Teen Hunger Force's Rabbot will I change it!

Dr. Weird
MC Pee Pants

GoneSavage

Damn.  I had slim hope that this thread was announcing a release of a Mike Patton DVD...