suede

Started by Jack Sparrow, November 06, 2003, 10:27:50 AM

Jack Sparrow

from nme.com:

SUEDE SPLIT

Suede are to split.

The band, who released their 'Singles' album last month, have announced today (November 5) that they will each be working on their "individual projects" from next year.

The band have issued a statement, that reads: "Suede would like to announce that from next year they will be working on their own individual projects.There will not be a new studio album until the band feel that the moment is artistically right to make one.This announcement does not affect the forthcoming touring commitments. Suede would like to thank the fans for their wonderful support over the years. See you in the next life."

NME.COM understands that the decision to split came from Brett Anderson during a band meeting yesterday.

However, there have been rumours of a split ever since the commercial disappointment that greeted the release of last album 'A New Morning' last year.

A band source has said that "some of the members of the group are more happy with the decision than others," and it is likely that singer Brett Anderson had the final say.

Following the release of their album the group were thought to be working on new material. It is currently unclear how many songs were actually completed, and if they will ever see the light of day.

godardian

:cry:

The last gasp of an era, really.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

phil marlowe

good. they were never that good anyway (sorry godardian...)

godardian

Quote from: phil marlowegood. they were never that good anyway (sorry godardian...)

:evil:

To me, their breakup is sadder than Elliott Smith dying. That was the loss of a life, which was sad. This is the loss of what was (along with Pulp and The Auteurs) the peak of 1990s music, which has much more of an affect on me. There are just so few people even trying to do what Suede succeeded so phenomenally at...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: godardian
Quote from: phil marlowegood. they were never that good anyway (sorry godardian...)

:evil:

To me, their breakup is sadder than Elliott Smith dying. That was the loss of a life, which was sad. This is the loss of what was (along with Pulp and The Auteurs) the peak of 1990s music, which has much more of an affect on me. There are just so few people even trying to do what Suede succeeded so phenomenally at...
really? i wasn't sad about it, i knew it was coming. they would never ever record an album as dog man star. i feel that they lost their magic when their first guitarist left the band. after they released the album coming up i lost interest for them. i mean, not every band should continue if something doesn't work. suede should be proud of what they have achieved. you still have the records, the b-sides and the live gigs memories.

Without a doubt, the first two albums are the best they ever did.

Still, I thought Coming Up was fine in its own right, and A New Morning was a return to form after the middling Headmusic (my least favorite album of theirs). The new single doesn't rank with their best stuff, but their departure still leaves a giant gap in my music world...

modage

Quote from: godardianTo me, their breakup is sadder than Elliott Smith dying.

atleast they can get back together for a reunion tour.  the likelyhood of an elliott smith comeback show is pretty small.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mogwai

(nme.com)

see you in the next life

brett anderson delighted fans at suede's last show by announcing that the group will reform at some point in the future to make a new record.

as previously revealed on nme.com, the band have announced that their uk dates this month will be their last, with each member concentrating on "individual projects" from 2004. the final show was this evening at the london astoria (december 13).

speaking from the stage, brett said: "i just want you to know. there will be another suede record. but not yet."

the band came on stage at the astoria at 7.30pm and played two different sets. the first was full of rare tracks and b-sides, and brett described it as "the funeral section". this was followed by the "celebration section", made up of their greatest hits.

suede played:

the next life
she
killing of a flashboy
heroine
my dark star
by the sea
indian strings (brett acoustic)
the living dead (brett acoustic)
picnic by the motorway
astrogirl
the 2 of us
to the birds
still life
the drowners
we are the pigs
metal mickey
can't get enough
animal nitrate
everything will flow
she's in fashion
attitude
so young
beautiful ones
saturday night
obsessions
new generation
trash

godardian

Oh, to have been at that show... I don't believe they ever ventured into my neck o' the woods... though I have friends here who've traveled thousands of miles to see them.

bonanzataz

it's really a shame. just yesterday, i forget what triggered it but i really wanted to know what they sounded like, so i downloaded a few songs and really liked them. i know what i'm telling people i want for xmas.  SUEDE DISCS! which are recommended?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

Quote from: taz.it's really a shame. just yesterday, i forget what triggered it but i really wanted to know what they sounded like, so i downloaded a few songs and really liked them. i know what i'm telling people i want for xmas.  SUEDE DISCS! which are recommended?

The first and second discs- Suede and Dog Man Star- are essential. There's also the just-released Singles (20 "greatest hits") but it's import-only. There's a great 2-disc b-side collection from '97 called Sci-Fi Lullabies that can probably be had for cheap from any online or storefront used CD shop. The early b-sides are every bit as good and necessary as the album tracks.

The other three albums- Coming Up, Headmusic, and A New Morning- are brilliant in parts but much less even than the first two, which are classics.

Hope Santa brings you some Suede!

meatwad

A friend just told me that Rickey Gervais (writer, director and star of The Office) used to manage them.

mogwai

back to the future!

former suede bandmates brett anderson and bernard butler have written 15 songs together, and say that the material is "up there with some of the best things we've ever done". in a posting on suede's official website, anderson reveals that they have a drummer and bassist, and that fans may not have to wait long for new material. "i know there has been a lot of speculation and rumour about precisely what i'm up to," anderson wrote, "so i thought i'd set the record straight. "firstly i can confirm that me and bernard are working together again. we've written about 15 songs so far and even though it's early days i can honestly say that i believe the work to be up there with some of the best things we've ever done. "we have been rehearsing with a drummer and a bass player who will be part of our new band. i can't tell you what we will be called yet but it will not be suede or anderson and butler. we'll be entering a london studio to start recording in june so i'm hoping that you will hear something early next year." anderson also revealed he has collaborated with fred ball from norwegian band pleasure, who released 2003's 'don't look the other way' lp. "also i've been working on a solo album with a guy called fred ball.", he continued. "some of you might have heard his pleasure album from last year. the material is more programmed than the bernard stuff but still song based." "the writing of this album is close to being finished too but i have a less clear plan as to when it might be released." as previously reported on nme.com anderson played his first solo gig at the rock 'n' royal event in copenhagen on may 7.

godardian

mogwai

a new morning!

here's the picture suede fans never thought possible – brett anderson and bernard butler reunited and working on their first new music since 1994.

nme.com hunted down brett and bernard to a north london rehearsal studio where they've been putting together their new band. the duo have a brand new drummer and bassist, and have demoed 18 new songs for their album, due towards the end of the year.

a friend of brett's told nme.com: "it's all going well. they started writing in january and they demoed 18 songs. rather than be called anderson & butler their new band will have a name but it's not confirmed yet. they will start proper recording very soon. when they were in suede they also were at their most creative in the studio, so everyone's every optimistic."

nme.com understands that the new group are in the process of talking to various record labels about a deal, and could even be planning impromptu live performances to try out the songs.

suede were never the same after butler quit during the recording of their classic second album 'dog man star' in 1994. the group went on to release three more studio albums before splitting last year after their 'a new morning' lp flopped. it was shortly after that nme.com revealed brett picked up the phone to bernard in an attempt to get his "demon back" and find inspiration.