Kill Bill: Volume Two

Started by MacGuffin, September 24, 2003, 01:38:09 AM

SHAFTR

Quote from: MacGuffin
Rodriguez also gave the many composers in the room an exercise: Write a theme for your parents and children, and then set it to a home movie. He gave an example of how he did that with his own mother. "I dare you to not bawl your eyes out," he said as he choked up at the memory of his experiment.

I wouldn't be able to do it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

©brad

rodriguez is the shit. but wait, they're just starting composing for volume 2 now?! i woulda thought that would have been done already. doesn't that, like, take a while?

modage

well  it says 'compose music'.  but that could mean like one music cue.  it doesnt neccesarily mean he's doing the whole score or something.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

brockly

Quote from: ©browndoesn't that, like, take a while?

elfman scored the hulk in 2 weeks

Pedro

Hey...umm...i like trailers...anybody want to make me happy anytime soon?

brockly

Mac, any idea if this is world-wide, or is it just US?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Brock LandersMac, any idea if this is world-wide, or is it just US?

No idea.

Release Dates for Vol. 2
USA February 20
Germany/Austria March 18
UK February 23
Australia February 26 or March 25 (tba)  
Argentinia February 26  
Canada February 20  
Finland February 20  
France March 3  
Czech Republic  March 4  
Netherlands March 4  
Iceland March 5  
Norway March 5  
Sweden March 12
Italy March 19  
Belgium March 24

Laurence Bender's Kill Bill Details
Volume 2 and more

Want to hear more about Kill Bill? Here’s the producer. Lawrence Bender has been with Quentin Tarantino since Reservoir Dogs, and the acclaim of his Band Apart Productions allowed him to become a major Hollywood contender.

Through Good Will Hunting, Anna and the King and The Mexican, Bender always comes back to Tarantino. Now with Volume 1 of Kill Bill in release and Volume 2 on the way in February, Bender was in a position to shed a little light on the gaps between the films, and various specifics I wasn’t able to squeeze in with Tarantino.

Will there eventually be a DVD with all of it put together? Maybe. I don’t really know. We haven’t really thought about that. I mean we really want each movie to be seen as a separate entity. So, I mean, that’s primarily what we’re focused on and then at some point maybe we’ll do that.

Is it dangerous to leave a movie open-ended? When we were working on the movie, the idea of this Volume 1/Volume 2 thing came up like about a month before we ended shooting. Quentin wrote the script in chapters so it kind of lends itself to that idea, not that we thought about it before. Quentin came up with a way to do it. Actually pretty quickly, then we just dropped it. And of course, that created rumors. Everyone on the set talked about it and the actors started talking about it and then it hit the press. But it wasn’t like we were going back and forth, what do we do. It’s just, we thought about and we dropped it and let’s finished the movie and then we got into the editing stage and we were working through it and then, at a certain point, we got to basically where it is now. We called Harvey into the editing room and said ‘Let’s just watch the movie now. You’re either looking at the first half of one movie or it’s going to be the full part one of two parts. Have an open mind and let’s see.’ We basically watched what you guys watched, only in a much rougher form. And we felt like that totally works. You feel like you have a full meal. It’s not over because you haven’t killed Bill. And it’s called Kill Bill so you know there’s more to come. Yeah, I think you feel relatively satisfied but you’re yearning more. So I think that’s a good way to have a two part [saga].

Why are you guys saying it’s two 90 minute parts, when it’s 1:50? I didn’t say it was 90. Does it say it’s 90 minutes in the press notes? I have no idea why they did that.

Will Volume 2 have a re-cap? I don’t think so. The interesting thing is, after we looked at that, the next thing we did was ‘Let’s look at the first scene of what the next movie would be’ and we did that and it really feels like a good first scene.

Did the studio ever want more CGI? Quentin really wanted to go old school this way. There’s a few shots, a few CGI shots throughout the movie. They’re kind of seamless, very few. We actually used a Hong Kong computer company that they took the wirework out. So, during our post-production here in the United States, we’ve been shipping all our material back and forth to Hong Kong as they’ve been taking out all the wires from all the wirework. But no, I think that’s part of the charm of the movie is that it is a in-camera stunt-type movie. And Quentin, because he’s taken all those different genres. You know, Shaw brothers, Spaghetti Western, Mu-Shu Kung Fu, Samurais. That wasn’t computer-generated stuff and he really wanted a tribute to that.

What’s different about the Japanese version? I don’t like to talk about the differences. You’re going to have to figure it out. You’re going to have to see it somehow. I don’t want to give it away.

Was the final battle turns to black and white for ratings purposes? I think Quentin, you know, it’s interesting. I love the Japanese version too. It’s just different and I don’t really want to talk too much about the differences at this point. At some point when everyone’s seen both.

Why is it billed as the 4th film by Quentin Tarantino? You know, someone else asked me that. It’s funny. I’ve never actually asked specifically. To me, there’s a lot of humor to it. You read the script, those Shaw Brother zoom ins, like when Uma sees Vivica for the first time, the "Ironside," that’s like written right into the script. So there’s a lot of humor written into the script too.

So is Volume 2 the 5th? No, it’s the 4th film, Volume 2.

Is there a gag reel of messed up fight scenes? No, we didn’t do a gag reel. Sorry.

Is there still going to be a video game? We have a video game. What happened with the video game is that Universal Games is doing the video game. They called us up a little while ago and said, 'We’re not going to be ready, number one. Number two, we really feel like this movie and this game needs more attention and needs to be a bigger, better game. So, that means it’s going to take longer.’ And they actually said there are fewer games doing, like 10 percent of the games do 90 percent of the business. Whatever, that’s basically the idea. So he didn’t want to just do another game. So he actually dropped a few games. At the same time, he wanted us to have a game. He likes this game, but he wanted to make it better. So, I’m not sure when it’s going to come out. It’s on their timeline.

Will we understand in Volume 2 why the Bride’s name is bleeped out in Volume 1? No.

Will you explain it then? No.

Were they saying anything then or just gibberish to get bleeped out? No, they’re saying the name.

So, we won’t find out? LB: No, I mean you could guess. It’s like ‘What’s in the briefcase?’ You can guess.

[Ha ha, Vivica Fox told us!]

I could never get into the Street Fighter movies. What am I missing? [Laughs] Well, I don’t know. Some people like musicals and some, I don’t know. I’m sorry, I don’t have an answer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

QuoteSo is Volume 2 the 5th? No, it's the 4th film, Volume 2.

Thank you.

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinWhat's different about the Japanese version? I don't like to talk about the differences. You're going to have to figure it out. You're going to have to see it somehow. I don't want to give it away.

Was the final battle turns to black and white for ratings purposes? I think Quentin, you know, it's interesting. I love the Japanese version too. It's just different and I don't really want to talk too much about the differences at this point. At some point when everyone's seen both.

as if its not frustrating enough getting some edited version of the film, the producers smug attitude about it isnt making things any better.  if there aint a fucking DEFINITIVE KILL BILL like, 4 disc set with BOTH volumes and the US and JAPANESE versions on it, and i dont mean "someday", i'm talking next year 2004, i'm going to go punch that smug bastard right in his teeth.  now, back to my christmas spirit...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

looks like i'm buying the japanese release in february. love that region free player. it's the only way to fly.

apparently, the japanese version shows the other things that get cut off of sophie.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pedro

we need ourselves some japanese xixax users.

kotte

Quote from: taz.apparently, the japanese version shows the other things that get cut off of sophie.

God! I want the japanese version!

I want to say her breasts...cause that's the most horrible thing I can think of...legs? The other arm? To mundane... :)

What do you think/want?

I sound like sadist (much like Bill) here but I just love awful, horrible stuff on film. :)

Alethia

actually, on my first viewing i was hoping they would cut or maybe pull back, so we could what her deformed body actually looked like, and just how deformed it was.....but alas, no such thing happened.

Fernando

Quote from: kotte
God! I want the japanese version!

I want to say her breasts...cause that's the most horrible thing I can think of...legs? The other arm? To mundane... :)

What do you think/want?

I sound like sadist (much like Bill) here but I just love awful, horrible stuff on film. :)

Both legs and the other arm probably are not missing in the jap version either, remember when Uma left her while she was rolling down you could see she had both legs and her arm, unless that scene is also different in the jap. version.

I agree with you on the breast thing though and fingers and toes probably are missing too.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
QuoteSo is Volume 2 the 5th? No, it’s the 4th film, Volume 2.

Thank you.

I still see them as separate movies and I think the producer backs me up on this. Earlier in the interview, when asked about dvd releases, he contends their intention right now is to not immediately release it into one packaged dvd or even one movie. He wants them to have separate identities. Now, with the definition of volume, the closest definition to this case comes with volume representing any of a series of books forming a complete work or collection. Thing is, it is not completion to just one book, but a larger work higher than just that one book. Movie wise, the closest relation would be Godfather Part I and II and how in 1977, that was combined to make The Godfather Saga thus putting each part closer to just being volumes of a larger work. Thing is, people still take Godfather Part I and II (and even III) as separate movies connected by continuation of a story, but by the end of a third, a continuation that has an end and puts the entire series into a much larger story. From what you have said, you see them as separate movies still. I see Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 also as separate movies in the same way.