Too Many Ads!

Started by filmcritic, September 14, 2003, 01:06:04 AM

budgie

Bring back the woman in the little dress with the ice creams, then I'd go get a part time job.

I love the trailers. But we do only get about 5 max. And The Magdalene Sisters got to me a bit.

English cinemas are happy, joyful environments.

edison

Quote from: filmcriticI'm getting really tired of all the trailers and commercials that show before these movies in theatres. Can't we just get on with the show here? It's not just movie trailers, but also regular commercials usually involving skin products, drinks or cars. But in most of the movies I've gone to the theatres to see, there have been 7 to 10 trailers before the movie. Back in 2000 when "Mission Impossible 2" came out, there were 16! I think the maximum should be 3 and no more after that!

Sounds like you go by yourself otherwise you would talk through them with friends and perhaps a significant other (but not thought the movie mind you), like i do and make fun of them, that makes the commercials not as annoying.

cine

At the Famous Players cinema I go to, they play it smart where the ads go BEFORE the time the show starts. So if Matchstick Men was at 7:00, the ads would go until 7 and then the trailers would start. Which is a wise thing to do for people like us who rip our hair out over commercials (unless we're old and don't have hair, then we, uh.. throw... um, bedpans?).. if all theatres did that, there certainly wouldn't be any reason for complaint. But some cinemas just HAVE to be difficult with us paying those high ticket prices to NOT see ads.... :roll: geesh..

MacGuffin

Moviegoers Angered Over Increasing Ads in Theaters

Twenty-seven percent of moviegoers say they have curtailed their attendance because of the stream of advertisements that precede the films in many theaters. According to a survey by market research firm InsightExpress, patrons expressed anger at having to pay to see films and then being required to sit through ads, too. Although some movie chains have reported a significant boost in revenue as a result of the ads, Exhibitor Relations' chief Paul Dergarabedian told today's (Thursday) Daily Variety that the policy could backfire. "Exhibitors need every bit of revenue stream they can get," he said. But a diminishing audience "doesn't just hurt the in-theater commercial market, it hurts the movies and it hurts concession sales."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Loews to Publish Note on Pre-Movie Ads

If you're a moviegoer who hates sitting through the Fandango sack puppets, coming attractions and Inconsiderate Cell Phone Man, here's some really good news: Loews Cineplex Entertainment will begin advertising movie showtimes with a note saying most movies actually start 10 to 15 minutes later because of all those commercials, public service announcements and previews.

The note will start appearing in newspaper and Internet listings for the theater chain beginning next month, said John McCauley, Loews' senior vice president for marketing. Loews owns 200 theaters nationwide.

The change was a response to complaints from moviegoers, he said.

Yet, McCauley said he thinks few people will arrive later because of the notice.

"We still think people enjoy coming early, getting their popcorn, finding their seats, talking amongst one another," he said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

I'm never going to have a crappy seat on opening night again.   :yabbse-thumbup:

modage

yeah, or they could just not show them.  i think everybody knows that previews and commericals ad like 10 minutes, but who in their right (geek) mind can show up within a minute or two of the movie starting and just find whatever seat is available?!?!  not me.  :elitist:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Quote from: themodernage02yeah, or they could just not show them.  i think everybody knows that previews and commericals ad like 10 minutes, but who in their right (geek) mind can show up within a minute or two of the movie starting and just find whatever seat is available?!?!  not me.  :elitist:

Depends on the movie.  If its something that's been out for a while and isn't doing too well, I'll go late.

Chrisdarko

The ads are to keep movie prices down the theaters only make 5% profit off the movie tickets. while they make alot of money off concession they don't off the movies so the theater chains sell advertisement so unless you wanna pay more for a movie ticket..... :cry:

modage

yeah but prices keep going up every 9 months AND i have to watch more ads.      so its like i lose both ways.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

I guess there are some advantages to living in a small city. I can't remember the last time I sat in a packed theater. The movies I rush to see are ostracized by my community and a large gathering is 8 other people in the entire theater. The big movies that are packed I usually see on an odd weekday in the afternoon when, again, a large gathering is 8 other people.

I just find it funny the ad problem has become so large for bigger cities that Yahoo.com has the Loews news story on its front page.

Ravi

How do arthouse theaters manage to run movies without ads?  Their ticket prices aren't any more expensive.  Is it because they have fewer screens?

Pubrick

Quote from: RaviHow do arthouse theaters manage to run movies without ads?  Their ticket prices aren't any more expensive.  Is it because they have fewer screens?
do ur arthouses smell a little funky as well?

yeah, that's how.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

Quote from: RaviHow do arthouse theaters manage to run movies without ads?  Their ticket prices aren't any more expensive.  Is it because they have fewer screens?

They're not cheaper around here:
Regal 24 - $6.50
Landmark - $8.25

I hate going to the Landmark because of their prices. But they have the best selection, oh well.

Also, personally, I hate the ads too, but the theaters need money and are going to play them no matter what. Unless the theaters aren't actually making money off of them, which I can't understand. Anyhow, the ads before the show kind of heighten your anticipation of the movie. It's like getting repeatedly punched in the face before getting a blowjob, unless of course the movie really sucks then I dunno where that leaves you.

And also, I think Inconsiderate Cellphone Guy is a great ad, because it reminds people to turn off their phones and it's pretty funny. Fandango can fucking burn in hell, however.
WWPTAD?

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick
do ur arthouses smell a little funky as well?

yeah, that's how.

No, they don't smell funky.  In Dallas we two Angelika theaters and two owned by Landmark.  They don't show ads and they are nice inside.  General admission at the Angelikas is $8, while the same is $7.75 at the local Cinemark theaters.  I don't know the pricing of the Landmark theaters, but all 4 offer a student discount.  They do sell beer, which probably makes them a lot of money.