mtv vma's

Started by ©brad, August 28, 2003, 10:17:46 PM

Weird. Oh

Quote from: Raikus
Quote from: Reformed Weirdo
Quote from: NEON MERCURY
thank you MTV for being the leader of showing us the vast landscape of musical talents.........much love to ya.... :kiss:

I hope to god you are kidding.
I hope to God you aren't serious.

I am serious. I hate MTV. It champions mediocrity in place of talent. The visual aspect has diluted the talent at the top of the charts by long margin. MTV is pretty much responsible for putting the emphasis on the visual aspect of marketing rather than the actual aural qualities. Bands that actually deserve to be on top but that don't necessarily fit a demographic marketing scheme can't make it.

I mean if it weren't for the whole art-rock becoming mainstream at the moment you would never have Franz Ferdinand or Modest Mouse get airplay. There was a point in which MTV was good too. It's hard to trace it's demise but I would gander at around 1995.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

modage

this was truly the worst year ever.  way to lipsynch more-obviously than britney spears, usher.  was it just me, or was like 90% of the show hip-hop oriented?  a million cutaways to Jay-Z, check.  having almost all musical performances be hip-hop, ch--- wait a sec.  we accidentally booked these three cheesy rock bands.  hmmm... lets just lump them all together and give them 2 minutes a piece to play part of each of one of their songs.  that way nelly and usher and every other act there can play like 3 or 4 songs into a sweet medley.  GOOD THINKING.  it doesnt matter that they couldnt be less similar.  and what the fuck were the polyphonic spree doing there?  like, mtv has ever played a video of theirs?  seriously whose brainstorm was that?

when did i get so old?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Raikus
Quote from: Reformed Weirdo
Quote from: NEON MERCURY
thank you MTV for being the leader of showing us the vast landscape of musical talents.........much love to ya.... :kiss:

I hope to god you are kidding.
I hope to God you aren't serious.

hahaha......yes i am not serious.....mtv is sh*t........my post  was a TRL junkie's thoughts......

Film Student

Guys, seriously, stop knocking mtv... It gets a bad rap.  I mean, so you don't like hip hop... are you racist?  Jay Z is a modern poet.  As is Britney.  Regardless of what you think about her music (it's all the producers, don't blame her), she has a fantastic voice. and don't give me the line about her being auto-tuned-- those pipes are all hers.  And the Toxic video reminds me of Mark Romanek's early work with Madonna-- brilliant stuff.  

I hate the art-rock stuff though, Modest Mouse is alright, but Franz Ferdinand doesn't have an ounce of talent or hope.  And Outkast is overrated...
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Film StudentI mean, so you don't like hip hop... are you racist?  Jay Z is a modern poet.
Isn't commericialized gangsta rap inherently racist?

Quote from: Film StudentAs is Britney.
Are you sure?

"Everytime"
lyrics by Britney Spears

Notice me
Take my hand
Why are we
Strangers when
Our love is strong
Why carry on without me?

Everytime I try to fly
I fall without my wings
I feel so small
I guess I need you baby
And everytime I see you in my dreams
I see your face, it's haunting me
I guess I need you baby

I make believe
That you are here
It's the only way
I see clear
What have I done
You seem to move on easy

And everytime I try to fly
I fall without my wings
I feel so small
I guess I need you baby
I see your face, you're haunting me
I guess I need you baby

I may have made it rain
Please forgive me
My weakness caused you pain
And this song is my sorry

Ohhhh

At night I pray
That soon your face
Will fade away

And everytime I try to fly
I fall without my wings
I feel so small
I guess I need you baby
I see your face, you're haunting me
I guess I need you baby

Weird. Oh

Quote from: Film StudentGuys, seriously, stop knocking mtv... It gets a bad rap.  I mean, so you don't like hip hop... are you racist?  Jay Z is a modern poet.  As is Britney.  Regardless of what you think about her music (it's all the producers, don't blame her), she has a fantastic voice. and don't give me the line about her being auto-tuned-- those pipes are all hers.  And the Toxic video reminds me of Mark Romanek's early work with Madonna-- brilliant stuff.  

I hate the art-rock stuff though, Modest Mouse is alright, but Franz Ferdinand doesn't have an ounce of talent or hope.  And Outkast is overrated...

Well first off hip-hop isn't just black people? I see tons of white kids embrace the hip-hop culture. Sorry I don't listen to spoken word poetry nor do I enjoy talking in rhythym to a sample of someone else's music. If britney spears weight 250 lbs, do you think she'd be where she is? Of course not. As I stated, MTV has led the movement of emphasis on visual "talent' vs. musical talent. I wasn't saying that I liked the art rock movement, but it was a more avant-garde genre.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Film StudentGuys, seriously, stop knocking mtv... It gets a bad rap.

So you're a fan of Pimp My Ride, Room Raiders, Punk'd and Wanna Come In? That's my gripe with MTV. They used to show videos, and without screaming 13 year olds giving shout-outs over them and introduced by VJs with real names.

Quote from: Film StudentAnd the Toxic video reminds me of Mark Romanek's early work with Madonna-- brilliant stuff.

It reminds me of someone who watches too much Alias and made a demo reel to apply to direct an episode of the show. Joseph Kahn (director of Torque) is no where near the talent Romanek (writer/director of One Hour Photo) is.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Franz Ferdinand got insulted in this thread. Whoa.
context, context, context.

Film Student

Oh come on... you guys are such snobs.  I mean, get off it.  You're telling me you can't enjoy a good Jessica Simpson tune every once in a while?  I think she's got Suzanne Vega-like potential.

Hip hop's the poetry of the streets. and Britney is a brilliant songwriter.
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Film Student

:twisted:

What up Mikey? Long time no see... how's film school?
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

MacGuffin

Quote from: Film StudentHip hop's the poetry of the streets.

Are the those the streets where their mansions are; beachside to park their yachts at while sipping on their champange and their 'bling, bling' around their neck and fingers?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

come on, mtv has always been a love/hate thing, atleast 4 me.

i talk shit about it but i still watch it, and yeah, lately it's been lame but we all still can't stop tuning in.

all i know is that the only thing good about that terrible, terrible vma show was christina aguilera, who can outdue all the other bitches hands down.

Film Student

Quote from: MacGuffin

Are the those the streets where their mansions are; beachside to park their yachts at while sipping on their champange and their 'bling, bling' around their neck and fingers?

You got it man... homies gots ta have their bling bling.
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Jeremy Blackman

Oh, you culture-starved low-life, you simple-minded slum-cretin. I pity you. This, sir, is the poetry of the streets:

ARS POETICA
Archibald MacLeish

A poem should be palpable and mute
As a globed fruit,

Dumb
As old medallions to the thumb,

Silent as the sleeve-worn stone
Of casement ledges where the moss has grown--

A poem should be wordless
As the flight of birds.

A poem should be motionless in time
As the moon climbs,

Leaving, as the moon releases
Twig by twig the night-entangled trees,

Leaving, as the moon behind the winter leaves,
Memory by memory the mind--

A poem should be motionless in time
As the moon climbs.

A poem should be equal to:
Not true.

For all the history of grief
An empty doorway and a maple leaf.

For love
The leaning grasses and two lights above the sea--

A poem should not mean
But be.[/list:u]

modage

Quote from: ©bradcome on, mtv has always been a love/hate thing, atleast 4 me.

i talk shit about it but i still watch it, and yeah, lately it's been lame but we all still can't stop tuning in.
i used to be the same way.  you just have to stop cold turkey.  you'll feel much better. the vma show is the first thing i've watched in a long time and the re-adjustment was shocking.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.