Favourite commentaries

Started by phil marlowe, January 29, 2003, 12:57:07 PM

©brad

welcome vivian.

I haven't listened to any of the Peter Jackson commentaries yet but am really looking forward to doing so. I just haven't had the time. I'm glad to hear good things about them, no one really talked about them before. One of my friends here has a copy of the two towers on VHS so I've been soaking that up for the past couple of days.

Redlum

I just listened to the Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino commentary on From Dusk till Dawn. One of the funniest I've heard for ages. Great DVD too, the Full Tilt Boogie Documentary taking up all of disc 2, definately rivals That Moment.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Quote from: Vivian DarkbloomAnd I'd like to finish by saying that Joss Whedon can be quite interesting in his own way (meaning that I'm a huge Buffy/angel fan... A great  WAYYYY underrated show...)

Whedon's commentary track in the Second Season Buffy box set for the "Innocence" episode is better that most feature length commentaries.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

Quote from: Vivian DarkbloomI was quite disapointed by Cronenberg on Existenz and Naked Lunch(region 2) but I couldn't hear the one he did for Dead Ringers. And, Im's sorry if I hurt his fans' feelings

sokay.... i can take it.... :yabbse-cry:

Vivian Darkbloom

For Cecil B. Demented : I really like Cronenberg films, don't get me wrong, I just wanted to say that he's much more interesting during interviews (and on that great book he did with Serge Grunberg, I don't know if it wxwas translated in english...) that he is while sitting in a chair and talking about the philosophical concepts behind eXistenZ and seems to take a nap during the entire last half-hour of Naked Lunch...

Cecil

im probably just sad about naked lunch on dvd in region 2. lucky bastards. that and lost highway in widescreen. sigh.

Duck Sauce

My favorite commentaries talk about the production of the movie, how things were done, what things used to be and good stories. I get bored of the ones that discuss the meaning of the film or the emotions of the characters.

Cecil

... or the ones that just narrate whats going on. or dont talk for long stretches of time.

cowboykurtis

jonathan demme - silence of the lambs CRITERION
scorsese - last temptation of christ CRITERION
gilliam - Brazil  CRITERION
...your excuses are your own...

ShanghaiOrange

Billy Bob Thorton and the Coens on "The Man Who Wasn't There": "Ed's sportin' wood."

Mr. Show commentary: They redub a whole sketch.

This Is Spinal Tap: In-character commentary is hilarious

Space Ghost: Coast to Coast: Not on DVD but one episode of this great show was just an old episode with the creator's moms commenting on it called "Mommentary." It's just a bunch of old women saying "I love my son, but this show...I just don't get it." Hilarious. The creators then did two other commentaries over that commentary. I love that show.

The fake Blood Simple commentary is hilarious, too.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

ShanghaiOrange

I forgot about Hunter S. Thompson's commentary on Fear and Loathing. Drug-induced hilarity. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

cine

I just watched "Jackass: the movie" on DVD and listening to the whole gang reflect on their 'jackassness' is quite funny.

Disco Stu

Boogie Nights - Paul Thomas Anderson
JFK - Oliver Stone
Spinal Tap - Cast
Requiem for a Dream - Darren Aronofsky
Citizen Kane - Roger Ebert
Almost Famous - Cameron Crowe
Swingers & Made - Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn
Fight Club - all of them
Far From Heaven - Todd Haynes
Evil Dead II - Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell
I used to do drugs.  I still do but I used to too!

phil marlowe

Quote from: caraxworst: charlton heston

hey! anyone messing with charlton is messing with me.

michael moore is outa kneecaps

Sigur Rós

Quote from: caraxworst: charlton heston

Seriously, dude! That's not funny! Charlton is the best actor of our time.........and gunman!