old school...

Started by billybrown, July 31, 2003, 02:19:27 PM

billybrown

while we all like to enjoy our arty, thoughtful cinema, sometimes you just need some good ole mindless laughs. hence "old school."

being a fan of v.vaughn, w.ferrell, and l.wilson, i figured this 3 for 1 special, combined w/ director todd phillips (who did road trip, also some good mindless laughs) would yield some laughs, and alas, i was not dissappointed. not sure how many of you have seen this or picked it up, but it was, imho, a fuckin riot. there are soo many classic scenes (that demented karoake guy doing a "tasteful" rendition of total eclipse of the heart, the "trust" frat initiation, the pre-marriage rant at the church by vaughn, etc) that make perfect use of all the talent of the leads. vaughn gets to do his swingers/made thing, ferrell gets to relive the glory days of snl, and wilson provides a nice counterpoint to these lunatics. phillips is good at finding the laughs and there are a lot of nice subtle lil touches that have you cracking up on repeat viewings not unlike a "best in show"- one of the great all time comedies in my books.

the dvd has a nice package of xtras ala commentary, makin of, outakes, etc, but the spoof they do of james liton's "inside the actors studio" is a total gem and worth the price alone.

anyhow, there's my 2 cents worth, and here's hoping my second post ever doesn't go the way or re-direct heaven like my first. cheers!  :-D

modage

good news for Will Ferrell fans...

Will Ferrel to Get Smart at Warner Bros.
Source: Variety Thursday, July 31, 2003

Will Ferrell is attached to star in Get Smart for Warner Bros. Pictures.

The film would be a big-screen version of the TV series that starred Don Adams as bumbling secret agent Maxwell Smart. Produced from 1965-1970, it first ran on NBC and later CBS.

Warners-based producer Andrew Lazar has been working to get the film on its feet for several years. However, Ferrell's attachment means starting from scratch, and the project is out to writers.

i loved that show.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Derek237

Old school was great. I didn't see the DVD, though. I'll try and pick it up soon.

"ear muffs"

classic... :lol:

markums2k

Quote from: Derek237Old school was great. I didn't see the DVD, though. I'll try and pick it up soon.

"ear muffs"

classic... :lol:

The commentary is damn hilarious... runs out of steam near the end, but still worth a listen.  When I found out Luke was supposed to do the floor exercise bit instead of Ferrell, I was speechless.  It wouldn't have been nearly as wonderful.

And everytime he tries to get rid of that bread maker, that cracks me up...  :lol:

I really like Road Trip, and I really like Old School.  Todd Phillips is definitely one to keep an eye on...

aclockworkjj

this movie made me laugh...a lot....will ferrell rules......"We're goin' streakin'!!!"