top ten 1999

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 27, 2003, 08:59:55 AM

LostEraser

And finnaly, here's my top ten list of 1999 since I'm new and couldn't post it before (why is this one in a different forum, btw?). Boy, I remember this being a great year for movies!

1. The Straight Story
2. Being John Malkovich
3. Man On The Moon
4. Princess Mononoke
5. Magnolia
6. The Sixth Sense
7. Bringing Out The Dead
8. The Red Violin
9.  Sweet and Lowodwn
10. South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

El Duderino

you chose south park instead of American Beauty, bad form.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

LostEraser

Quote from: El Duderinoyou chose south park instead of American Beauty, bad form.

I think South Park is much more genuine than American Beauty. It's also one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. So therefore it moved me a lot more than American Beauty.
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.

Pubrick

South Park is a great inclusion. although the lack of Kubrick love worries me. otherwise this is the best of all ur lists.
under the paving stones.

LostEraser

Quote from: PubrickSouth Park is a great inclusion. although the lack of Kubrick love worries me. otherwise this is the best of all ur lists.

Oh I love Kubrick. Eyes Wide Shut almost made it but not quite. This was one of the best years for movies I can think of so a lot of great choices had to be left out.

matt35mm

Since this was the only year I ever tried making a top films of the year list (I generally don't like making lists and even this is a top 5 list), I'm gonna post that, not that it's much different from many others:

1. Magnolia
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Eyes Wide Shut
4. American Beauty
5. Boys Don't Cry

... I guess South Park would be maybe number 6... I can't remember what else would be on there... Fight Club might be a number 10, but not near the top 5...

But yeah, that WAS a great year for movies.

nix

I remember thinking that the studio system was gonna go back to the kind of movies they made in the 70s after '99. I don't think I've lived through a more stellar year for movies.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

modage

Quote from: themodernage02and speaking of 1999, what were your favorite movies? heres mine...

magnolia
fight club
american beauty
being john malkovich
three kings
eyes wide shut
toy story 2
the matrix
the green mile
girl interrupted
from my illegal newbie thread years ago.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

1. Eyes Wide Shut
2. American Beauty
3. Magnolia
4. Bringing out the Dead
5. Three Kings
6. Fight Club
7. Being John Malcohvich
8. Office Space
9. Any Given Sunday
and a four way tie for tenth place
10. The Matrix/Election/Go/South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

socketlevel

i think you guys are seriously overlooking toy story 2.  it's a flawless film.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Gold Trumpet

My top ten feels very young. Many would be taken off and many more would be viewed, but its a shame I hadn't seen The Straight Story until years later.

Alexandro

1)   THE STRAIGHT STORY
2)   EYES WIDE SHUT
3)   MAGNOLIA
4)   AMERICAN BEAUTY
5)   BEING JOHN MALKOVICH
6)   TODO SOBRE MI MADRE
7)   THE SIXTH SENSE
8)   FIGHT CLUB
9)   ELECTION
10)   THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY

matt35mm

Quote from: Alexandro
7)   THE SIXTH SENSE
8)   FIGHT CLUB
9)   ELECTION
Hahaha.  That resulting smiley made me laugh more than it should've.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SiliasRubyand a four way tie for tenth place
10. The Matrix/Election/Go/South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

Total copout.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I was actually very surprised that a lot of people didnt mention The Matrix here... and also that almost all the lists look similar... it doesnt happen so much these days  :yabbse-grin: