The Official Twin Peaks Thread (TOTPT)

Started by NEON MERCURY, July 15, 2003, 03:29:03 PM

Ghostboy

Watch the pilot up until Laura's mother has the nightmare (an hour or so into it). Then TURN IT OFF, FOR GOD'S SAKE, TURN IT OFF and start episode one.

modage

yeah seriously?  i have the region 0 dvd.  i should turn it off when the nightmare happens?  afterwards?  during?  never to know whats in there?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Yeah. Wait until she wakes up from it (I'm pretty sure she wakes up screaming), if you want, but then turn it off. I don't have the pilot and haven't seen it in years, but you'll know it's the right nightmare because there'll be a strobing image of a guy running down the stairs of the house.

You can go back and watch the rest of it after you've seen all of season 1.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02yeah seriously?  i have the region 0 dvd.  i should turn it off when the nightmare happens?  afterwards?  during?  never to know whats in there?

After Mrs. Palmer has the vision. When you get to Deputy Andy playing a trumpet, SHUT IT OFF.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

i think you guys are thinking of the wrong dvd. i have the region 0 dvd and after the nightmare, it just cuts to the credits.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

Quote from: taz.i think you guys are thinking of the wrong dvd. i have the region 0 dvd and after the nightmare, it just cuts to the credits.
yeah i just got through it.  nightmare, picks up necklace under rock, credits/laura photo.  wow, that was neat.  i dont know what it is about lynch, but i am becoming just increasingly facinated with his stuff. like, no matter what the hell is going on, even towards the beginning when not much is going on, i am sitting there on the edge of my seat, just waiting to see what he does next.  he is rising in ranks for me. admittedly, when i first came to the site here about 10 months ago, out of all the directors forums, lynch was the one i was the least into.  and since the rest of them were all basically my favorites, he was the one i have done the most looking into since.  thank you xixax. now, onto the episodes...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02i've finally gotten around to getting twin peaks to watch.  i've got the pilot and disc one of season one sitting here right now.  my parents loved the show when it was on, and i can remember them watching it religiously, but i've never seen it.       any words of advice before i watch it?

.....mod-age w/ pilot do you have...?

....if you have the latter....do what Ghostboy and Mac have said...cut it off...

as for advice...while watching it....think how influential it is to now-a-days- tv ..and if there ever will be a better tv series....

modage

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
yeah, thats the one.  i was just on amazon, looking up that vhs version with the added 20 minutes.  whew, luckily mine was not.  looks like you can buy the damn first 7 episodes season one for like 21$ online.  i may just be doing that now.

NEON MERCURY

....yeah the first season is a MUST......try to get the Artisan dvd season one set...its glorious.....phucking solid transfer...after you watch that pilot dvd then those season one dvds...the difference is incredible.....i'm glad your getting into this... its really addicting and so phucking cool man....the music,  the humor, ....and just the whole "vibe" of twin peaks is killer.....plus there's so much more you can delve into it........my fav episode in season one is episode two...that  sh*t is awesome man.....

MacGuffin

It's too bad mod-age will get all hyped up, and then have to wait until MAYBE the end of 2005 (unless he gets the Region 2 set at the end of the year or the VHS copies) to see who the killer is in Season 2.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffinIt's too bad mod-age will get all hyped up, and then have to wait until MAYBE the end of 2005 (unless he gets the Region 2 set at the end of the year or the VHS copies) to see who the killer is in Season 2.

ain't that the truth Mac.....i remember after going through season one on dvd i was expecting the second season to come out real soon....but it didn't so i had to go to a local video store and rent the 2nd season on those horrendous tapes.....uugh!!...the quality sucked so bad after those beautiful season dvds....and what makes matters worse the store didn't have the first 2 or three episodes of the 2nd season but it had all the rest.....so i had to get the synapses guides off the net for what i missed.....those tapes sucked ass...the pilot dvd was even better..... :(

modage

yeah i just watched the first two episodes.  the quality was 1000 times better than that awful region 0 pilot.  it seemed like even the production values were better in addition to the picture/sound.  i am hooked, and going to order that damn set now to burn through the remaining 5 episodes after which i will begin wishing i was dead waiting for the goddamn second season!

Ghostboy

Actually, the second season is a huge step down from the first. The first episode is good, and then the last three or so are as great, but otherwise Lynch was mostly uninvolved, due to his commitment to Wild At Heart, and it shows. It's still definitely worth seeing, (especially those last three, and of those especially the last one -- hot damn!), but don't fret too much over the wait.

bonanzataz

Quote from: GhostboyActually, the second season is a huge step down from the first. The first episode is good, and then the last three or so are as great, but otherwise Lynch was mostly uninvolved, due to his commitment to Wild At Heart, and it shows. It's still definitely worth seeing, (especially those last three, and of those especially the last one -- hot damn!), but don't fret too much over the wait.

i was listening to the twin peaks commentary and i'm pretty sure lynch was doing wild at heart and season ONE of twin peaks at the same time. lynch and his editor were working like dogs doing wild at heart, episode 2 and episode 3 all at the same time. maybe lynch just got bored of the series. or maybe i'm just completely wrong.

another thing that was said on the commentaries really pissed me off. the dp was saying that the pilot episode is really the richest and thought out episode of the entire series and that it looks amazing when projected onto a big screen. he kept saying this a million times, KNOWING that the pilot wasn't included on the dvd and the only way to get it was on a shitty japanese copy with terrible quality. WHAT A DICK!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

From Lynch on Lynch:

WAS IT TRUE THAT YOU WERE LESS INVOLVED IN THE SECOND SERIES, BECAUSE YOU WERE OFF MAKING WILD AT HEART?
Right. That started...in the second season I was, you know, removed from it...if Mark and I had been working together, it would've been different. But we weren't, so it was the way it was. I went to a couple of meetings with writers, and things like that, but unless you're right there and you're hands on...

He goes on to say that he came back and rewrote and directed the last episode to make sure it was done right.